Sign in to follow this  
Nungali

What is this sword thrust ?

at  1.02   .... WOW  !  

What is it use, application, dynamics .... I'll hear anything . 

I can see some interesting stuff in there, just that one move  ... but my perspective, is from an Okinawan from  ( a combo Chinese Japanese, but usinf a Japanese  style sword. 

What do you reckon folks ?  

@ 1.02

Unique indeed.  The only thing I see is that it is a defensive move in preparation for the offensive move that follows.

Well, I see ;

A rear attack comes in; he leads with a rear thrust that sort of skewers and twists as it extends, possibly defecting and spiraling through the attackers strike ( which was maybe a thrust ) entering and piercing.  The body movement is him following the sword, turning and twisting the wrist to match the new  arm movement, and turn ( like the sword has done the movement and is pulling him after it ), now he is in a good position to finish the thrust with his full moment  stance and grip and see the opponent.

This could  then open him to a rear attack from the other side, so his thrust immediately flows to that direction with a defensive guard, and ready to chop down, then turns back and finishes the 'poked' guy with another thrust ( or another attacker ) .

?. 

I am imagining this form doesnt  knock; block, and then chop back, it appears to deflect and parry AS an attack  ( defend and attack in one movement ) .. which is sound practice for any type of fight or weapon . 

A stab with that broad point would be bad enough ... but while it is  rotating in like that ...urk !  

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Yes, that's pretty much what I saw.

Many of his movements were defensive rather than all offensive.

And yes indeed, the sword is simply an extension of his arm. 

I can imagine how long he has been practicing because he is so freakin' good.

When I practice my two-sword Tai Chi I do include defensive as well as offensive movements.  It makes your mind work more.

• Like 1

That backwards sword thrust which turns into a 'corkscrew' motion is one sassy technique! :)

BTW, also unarmed Bagua has some really sneaky moves, such as strikes that, if blocked, immediately turn into other strikes; strikes from awkward angles; and getting behind the opponent and attacking from there is a standard maneuver especially in the dragon style.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

sounds like Shorin ryu  :) 

sometimes with sword practice I will do one handed and some (sorta) moves like he does.  Our 'teacher' doesnt do or teach that. When I try it on, they get totally efed up .... touche !  

I am going to watch this vid about 100 times .  

When I get back to doing sword play  with the guys .......     evillaugh.gif

• Like 2

Yes, the Okinawan Karate styles with their emphasis on evasive maneuvres and pressure point strikes have much in common with the Chinese internal arts. Unlike Japanese Karate - but that's probably for another thread.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this