Sign in to follow this  
sagebrush

Q on the thanks button

Thank you is just a thank you, whether you actually agree or not, though I suspect more people use it as an agreement or like of content.

There is not any accumulation 'points' from thank yous that leads to being a mod or anything else on TDB.

• Like 2

It used to be a 'like' button.

We have suggestions for more buttons and will consider that if easy code integration exists.

The admin level talked of up-vote and down-vote ideas but what we'd like would require custom code so that is in the suggestion box too.

• Like 2

Yes, we all should be a bit self-moderating.

There used to be a "Don't Like" button but I think I wore it out to the point of unrepairability.

• Like 8

I think we should have a 'your post about objectivism was so long I couldn't be bothered to read it but I'm going to reply anyway' button.

• Like 12

"Don't like" is too vague.  I wish there were buttons I could use to express my attitude to some posts I don't like without going to the trouble of writing a response, or to the self-restraint of withholding it altogether. 

The buttons I would like to be able to use toward this goal might read:

I think this was bigotry.

I think this was racist.

I think this was profoundly idiotic.

I think you are trolling.

I think this was a personal attack.

I think this was insensitive and harsh.

I think you are patronizing.

Thank you for mansplaining.

This is gaslighting.

You are boring me.

This was ridiculously holier-than-thou.

You have embarrassed yourself.

This was self-aggrandizing and I noticed.

You don't strike me as sincere.

A samurai posting this would follow up with a seppuku. 

And so on...  sky's the limit.  Maybe someone in a less jaded mood wants to offer laudatory buttons to complement the set?  I do recall we considered many different buttons when the change was taking place, and at the time I wasn't into that.  I may have been wrong.  

• Like 7

Neat how our buttons are constantly changing, isn't it?

Mr head, what does it mean to you when you press the thank you button?

Also why can't we just reply instead of having buttons to press?

Mr head, what does it mean to you when you press the thank you button?

Also why can't we just reply instead of having buttons to press?

Meaning:  I either agree with the post, I like the post but may or may not agree with it, it has caused me to view something (concept) from a different perspective but have not yet arrived at a conclusion in order to speak to it.

Oh, I reply a lot.   Look at my post count.  Hitting the button allows me to make a statement without making another post.

Sure, I suggest that everyone get verbally involved in the discussions.  It is difficult sometimes to get a first response to a member who has started a new thread.  I will oftentimes make a first response hoping that it will break the ice and allow others more freedom to respond post.

• Like 5

Meaning: I either agree with the post, I like the post but may or may not agree with it, it has caused me to view something (concept) from a different perspective but have not yet arrived at a conclusion in order to speak to it.

Oh, I reply a lot. Look at my post count. Hitting the button allows me to make a statement without making another post.

Sure, I suggest that everyone get verbally involved in the discussions. It is difficult sometimes to get a first response to a member who has started a new thread. I will oftentimes make a first response hoping that it will break the ice and allow others more freedom to respond post.

I see, at some point i thought you liked something to let the person youve read the reply.

About your last statement,

Like this?

Well, one positive thing about facial hair is that you are rarely mistaken for being a woman.

I see, at some point i thought you liked something to let the person youve read the reply.

About your last statement,

Like this?

Yes, that's another purpose as well.

Edited by Marblehead

I think we should have a 'your post about objectivism was so long I couldn't be bothered to read it but I'm going to reply anyway' button.

Snarky but funny. I read yours and gave you a 'like'.

"Don't like" is too vague. I wish there were buttons I could use to express my attitude to some posts I don't like without going to the trouble of writing a response, or to the self-restraint of withholding it altogether.

The buttons I would like to be able to use toward this goal might read:

I think this was bigotry.

I think this was racist.

I think this was profoundly idiotic.

I think you are trolling.

I think this was a personal attack.

I think this was insensitive and harsh.

I think you are patronizing.

Thank you for mansplaining.

This is gaslighting.

You are boring me.

This was ridiculously holier-than-thou.

You have embarrassed yourself.

This was self-aggrandizing and I noticed.

You don't strike me as sincere.

A samurai posting this would follow up with a seppuku.

And so on... sky's the limit. Maybe someone in a less jaded mood wants to offer laudatory buttons to complement the set? I do recall we considered many different buttons when the change was taking place, and at the time I wasn't into that. I may have been wrong.

Here are a few laudatory options for balance:

That was a really really good post!

Thanks for trying to bring the sides back together.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic.

Your words reflect your open heart; well met (-:

Smaller list than the jaded one - maybe kindness doesn't need as much verbal support between those who already embrace it.

warm regards (-:

• Like 8

Snarky but funny. I read yours and gave you a 'like'.

He had bought a large map representing the sea,

Without the least vestige of land:

And the crew were much pleased when they found it to be

A map they could all understand.

• Like 2

I suppose it reduces derailing from the content perhaps , or it might replace a non-responsive snub with an indicator which not so harsh. If I have an active dislike about someone elses posting , its really mostly my responsibility what my sentiment is.

It was suggested to me that I just use it for whatever I wanted it to mean.... I went with that... but would think it appropriate to just have a non-specific symbol. like ^

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2

I suppose it reduces derailing from the content perhaps , or it might replace a non-responsive snub with an indicator which not so harsh. If I have an active dislike about someone elses posting , its really mostly my responsibility what my sentiment is.

It was suggested to me that I just use it for whatever I wanted it to mean.... I went with that... but would think it appropriate to just have a non-specific symbol. like ^

In the mobile client, it is just a check mark.
  • Like 1

At another forum I had read at in the past for professional painters it seemed like the set up was the same with thank button but that eventually it was accumulation of something...like you could be moderator one day...or something like that related to some level....

I think that we should bring back the "don`t like" button, and when a bum accumulates enough "don`t likes" they automatically become a moderator as a punishment.

• Like 9

I think that we should bring back the "don`t like" button, and when a bum accumulates enough "don`t likes" they automatically become a moderator as a punishment.

This is brilliant!
  • Like 3

Sign in to follow this