Golden Dragon Shining

50 fundamental herbs

Hi friend,

Here is a good video (Creating Herbal Formula Theory) to get started in this topic. But to diagnose and prepare an specific formula for a particular condition one needs to attend formal studies.

In addition to the above, please listen to this informative video about palpitations.

Good luck!

:)

• Like 1

Regarding meditation [read the notes section, also He Shou Wu's "major combinations" contains a formula for longevity, the doses for each herb are 10g except for Shu Di Huang, 24g or 15g if kidney yin deficiency is relatively small, Ren Shen, 6g decocted separately and for 2 hours x 2 boils to extract all the components of the herb; alternatively replace it with Dang Shen, 15g, which is a cheaper option, but the amount must be doubled, for healthier and younger people; Chuan Xiong 6g (or 10g if your blood circulation isn't that good)]:

Good luck!

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

I forgot Ju Hua (it is normally drunk in China mixed with Gou Qi Zi but this herb is also a libido enhancing one, so refer to the He Shou Wu note. The last herb of this category is Shan Zhu Yu, the ginseng of the kidneys. Still very important for any Kidney/Liver tonifying formulas, you can't skip it. So one must plan accordingly since sexual activity is a huge obstacle in serious spiritual cultivation). I like to mix it with young raw puerh (50/50 ratio) instead of Gou Qi Zi for morning meditations, it really rises the Liver Qi which in turn it greatly nourishes the Heart (Liver mother of the Heart in 5E Theory). This is a very important herb not only for meditation but also for healing. Again check the "notes" of that wonderful site, a courtesy of Joel Penner for making all that information avaible for free. Because Ju Hua is a diaphoretic (check the cooking the herbs section of this page) this herb cannot be decocted for a long time (maximum 10 min in decoctions, so add it at the end of the boil) or it will completely lose its properties.

• Like 1

Gui Zhi & Rou Gui

They both are different parts of the cinnamon tree. Rou Gui is the bark and Gui Zhi (twig) is related to the branches of the tree.

Gui Zhi is used in many formulas Guizhi, regulating all organ systems and the vastest number of pathologies of any herb except gan cao (licorice root). It has basically 6 therapeutic routes:

1. Harmonising the Ying

2. Unblocking the Yang

3. Promoting urination

4. Directing Qi downward

5. Promoting movement

6. Tonifying the Middle

Main difference between these two primary herbs:

Both warm Ying Qi* and Blood, assist Qi transformation and disperse Cold. Rou Gui is best for warming the Interior and stopping pain . It enters the Lower Jiao to tonify Kidney to tonify Kidney Yang and restore Ming Men Fire. Gui Zhi is best for dispersing pathogenic Cold in the Exterior, primarily moving upward to warm and unblock the channels and collaterals.

*Ying Qi: It nourishes the internal organs and the whole body. It is closely related to Blood, and flows with Blood in the vessels as well in the channels. It is the Qi that is activated by insertion of an acupuncture needle.

• Like 1

Peppermint tea is also known as a great helper in reducing the sexual drive. Will that affect the quality of the jing itself? That I don't know... Just a doubt and an hint for cultivators.

Yes rainbowvein, I've experienced that peppermint reduces sexual drive.

My doubt I guess is that if peppermint reduces sexual drive would it decrease the natural production of jing in the body ?

Some foods and herbs increase very much the sexual drive. I remember for example the first time I stopped eating meat and replaced it very much with eggs. My sexual drive increased a lot. The same thing is true with superfoods in general like garlic. So, what I'm trying to figure out is, that if it is at all productive taking such foods and ending up losing so much jing. Don't think it's sensitiveness but awareness rainbowvein.

Maybe the ideal would be a good balance between the effects of foods/herds in the production of jing. Have your scrambled eggs, but don't forget taking a cup of peppermint tea afterwards : )

Hi friends,

The Chinese pharmacopia has very useful herbs to cool off 'lust' (high sex drive):

1. Shu Di (Huang) (one of the most important herbs of Chinese Medicine)

2. Niu Zhen Zi

3. Bie Jia

4. Mu Li

Back to our important herb Gui Zhi:

1. Tang Ye Jing. In this mostly lost text, the five elements are used in a theory of “mutual containment” in this text. Regarding Gui Zhi, it is said to be the “wood herb of the wood class.” It exemplifies wood energy in its pungency – mimicking the outward spreading nature of living wood as we know it. (Source)

2. In addition, the Shen Nong Bencao Jing, China’s earliest material medica, lists cinnamon as one of the few materials that has the ability to “tong shen” (invigorate mental function and establish connection to the spirit world), a fact that has been incorporated into the Chinese name of the plant. Gui (桂) literally means “the plant that is shaped like the ritual jade instrument Gui, and which in similar fashion can establish connection to the spirit world” (Source).

:)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

Hey friend,

You might try this wonderful herbal formula tea. Simple and very balancing of the Yin and Yang plus the Wei (defensive/exterior) and Ying (nutritive/interior) levels. Basically one of the most balanced and profound formulas in Chinese medicine.

*Gui Zhi...9g (add in the last 10-15 min of decoction)

Bai Shao...9g

*Sheng Jiang (fresh ginger)...9g (sliced finely and add in the last 10-15 min of decoction)

Zhi Gan Cao (honey fried licorice root)...6g

Da Zhao...4-5 pieces

Enjoy! :)

*Note: when preparing two batches of liquid, divide the amounts evenly.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

2. In addition, the Shen Nong Bencao Jing, China’s earliest material medica, lists cinnamon as one of the few materials that has the ability to “tong shen” (invigorate mental function and establish connection to the spirit world), a fact that has been incorporated into the Chinese name of the plant. Gui (桂) literally means “the plant that is shaped like the ritual jade instrument Gui, and which in similar fashion can establish connection to the spirit world” (Source).

Tong shenming 神明 is not an easy concept to understand. For one, there is this article which is pretty damn good. There is also debate among modern scholars about how to translate it into English for the Shennong.

• Like 1

I would not use TCM herbs and formulas unless your body shows signs that it needs them. If you aren't using syndrome differentiation to determine what you take then you're no longer using TCM but modern biomedicine. Just saying.

Yes you are right...but in our modern totally out of balance world, everyone basically needs to take herbs. Obviously not every day of your life but from time to time.

Tong shenming 神明 is not an easy concept to understand. For one, there is this article which is pretty damn good. There is also debate among modern scholars about how to translate it into English for the Shennong.

Thank you for that link. Very interesting!
  • Like 1