Urbanyogi

Hi! Having extremely interesting energy experiences...

Hi all... I've been a lurker here for a long time now and everything you guys share has been really helpful and I really appreciate you giving your time.

Tl:Dr on the bottom. :)

My current journey started off with Vipassana meditation (did the 10 day Goenka retreat in 2010). Then onto what is now being called as neo-advaita, power of now, observing thoughts etc. I had a brief foray into Vipassana noting practice (the Dharma overground forum and Daniel Ingram's MCTB) and while reading Ingram's book, I realised what my aim was with doing spiritual practices.

Right now my aim is to be at peak performance, develop intuition and joy and peace, develop creativity bubble with vitality and health.

I should also clarify that I've been battling a chronic illness through all this, and was bedridden for almost the whole of 2011. Oh yeah, and I'm 29 right now.

Trying different things and gradually getting better, and I started realising the limitations of working only with energy while ignoring the physical structure, the muscles, Fascia and connective tissue that form the substrate for the energy to flow. (this is only my own insight, and I may well be wrong about the whole thing).

When I started working on mobility, stretching, freeing up my pelvis and hips, I found my energy levels soaring. I started to feel the energy start to flow down my legs and feet. The heaviness in my head and brain fog started to clear, and little by little, I started coming into flow.

I also experienced weird psychological reactions to the stretching, for which I could find no conventional explanation except Qi releasing.

Recently, I started swaying during meditation again. Some meditation teachers told me to let it happen, others told me to keep myself still. Synchronously, I found myself back on The Daobums, reading about spontaneous Qigong. So then I decided to go deeper into the swaying. Something about it felt like a deeper part inside of me calling me.

And that was the best decision I've ever made. I'm able to maintain a good flow of energy inside me, with minimal energy pooling in any one place.

My body has become much more supple, like a cats. My pain and stiffness is quite now, and is easily dealt with with a session of swaying. After years of tight hamstrings, I gained 2 inches of reach and can touch my knuckles to the ground.

And recently, I've been having unity experiences of bliss and joy and connectedness to everything, able to feel, quite literally, the oceans of energy around me. Of course, it didn't last, but I don't mind.

Last couple of things I'm struggling with, a psoas muscle that's locked tight, and really seems to be restricting the flow of energy down my legs.

And when after my spontaneous Qigong practice I place my hands on my lower Dantian, after about 20-30 minutes my lower belly and psoas starts to tremble and vibrate, and I feel it releasing.

And any mental work or stimulation still tires me to no end, (which is why I've never posted before), feels like the energy starts pooling above my lower abdomen and builds up, instead of flowing down the leg, and I have to let it flow all out which takes a lot of time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading (if you made it this far!).

Tl:Dr - I had chronic illness and was bedridden. A long spiritual and healing journey has finally brought me to Qigong. I have experienced fixing the structural aspects of the body such as posture, muscles, Fascia and connective tissue is amazing to optimise energy flow.

I started spontaneously moving during meditation, and after reading about it on The Daobums, decided to go deeper into spontaneous Qigong practice.

I feel like a new man now, energy flowing better, energy levels up, muscles looser and stronger and having unity experiences occasionally.

Last couple of things I'm struggling with, a psoas muscle that's locked tight, and really seems to be restricting the flow of energy down my legs.

And when after my spontaneous Qigong practice I place my hands on my lower Dantian, after about 20-30 minutes my lower belly and psoas starts to tremble and vibrate, and I feel it releasing.

And any mental work or stimulation still tires me to no end, (which is why I've never posted before), feels like the energy starts pooling above my lower abdomen and builds up, instead of flowing down the leg, and I have to let it flow all out which takes a lot of time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Love,

urbanyogi

• Like 7

Hello Urbanyogi, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Urbanyogi,

Yeah, lots of energy went into that post.  You will find lots to talk about here.

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

Whoops! That post turned out to be longer than I remember writing. :P

Yeah, I even considered not reading the entire thing.  Hehehe.  (But I made myself a promise to all new members to read their entire post.)

Your post wasn't so long, just that some of it got in there twice. (You can edit...)

Like my double posting that followed! 

This is a doubling thread... :P 

• Like 1

Trying different things and gradually getting better, and I started realising the limitations of working only with energy while ignoring the physical structure, the muscles, Fascia and connective tissue that form the substrate for the energy to flow. (this is only my own insight, and I may well be wrong about the whole thing).

When I started working on mobility, stretching, freeing up my pelvis and hips, I found my energy levels soaring. I started to feel the energy start to flow down my legs and feet. The heaviness in my head and brain fog started to clear, and little by little, I started coming into flow.

Congrats, I basically came to the same conclusion - physical bodywork is what sets the foundation for qigong and meditation.

Or try "allowing" qi to flow (using "flowing" Taijiquan-like motions or not) or sit still comfortably enough in meditation to desegment your consciousness when you are tight and full of contracted blockages with a straining constipated look on your face! 

Constipated-Baby.jpg

Cart before the horse?

Instead of this...ahhhhhhh!

buddha-smile.jpg

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

Welcome.

Your spontaneous chi gung reminds me of the Stillness Movement medical chi gung taught by Ya Mu, a member here.  One part of his system is simply putting your hands on your dantien when meditating.  After 20 years of meditating with them a few inches from there I felt a real difference, a collection and more heat when kept my hands on dantien.  

He also taught a slight natural bob when meditating, which was different then any practice I'd done.  It made sitting for longer periods easier.  As if it burnt off the little bit of energy the body was still producing. 

• Like 1

UrbanYogi,

I love your word -- swaying -- for the spontaneous movement you do.  It sounds like you´ve spontaneously hit on a great practice for your body, and the proof is that you´re getting results.  In general, I don´t think you can go wrong allowing your body to move how it wants to move.

LIminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1