Trunk

Damo Mitchell - Internal Arts Academy

I recently bought 3 D.Mitchell books:

1. Daoist Nei Gong

2. Daoist Reflections from Scholar Sage

3. White Moon...

.. and I'm going to read them in roughly that order.  :)  Just started.  If you are reading them, feel free to chip in w/ snippets n' thoughts here.  :)

Read slowly, read again.....

In fact I put them back on my "to read" shelf after reading them. I am letting them ferment and digest bit by bit the second go round. 

• Like 3

^ Good advice. I go back over the section on sung breathing in Daoist Nei Gong every so often, and get something new out of it every time. It's enhanced all of my meditative practices immeasurably.

• Like 3

Well, the whole point of Mitchell's curriculum, as I understand it, is that you start with neigong and with time you move to neidan. The White Moon is about neidan. So it is like a next step. If you think you are developed enough to take this step, at least the beginning of the book is in line with what Mitchell teaches in his introductory workshops on sitting practices - this is IME.

In general, ALL teachers who teach neidan express very strong opinion that neidan should not be attempted without live instructions.

• Like 3

In general, ALL teachers who teach neidan express very strong opinion that neidan should not be attempted without live instructions.

I've always wondered on this point - Mitchell himself says that the training in his books should be attempted with a teacher, but then he goes and writes a detailed book obviously intended to be used as a practical manual for that exact same training. Seems a bit contradictory.

anyone practising from the books ? I bought the white moon book and really like it , nicely laid out in a practicable manner.

Gonna start going through the stages laid out and see where it takes me.

There should be a diagram somewhere in the book that show how qigong, neigong, and neidan flow one into another and overlap a bit. I regard this as Mitchell's instruction that one should attempt neidan only after a certain level in neigong is achieved. This is how Mitchell builds his curriculum - from physical to subtle.

But if you have a certain level in neigong, like 500-1000 hours of training, then the book could be good.

• Like 1

HERE, NOW. If we all had the ability to remember our past lives we all would be clinging to them

like monkeys to the safety of the tree branches. Thank god we all start fresh. Move on! :)

Here, now, here, now, here, now...make this a 24/7 mantra. Use praying beads if you need to!

Love, Gerard :)

• Like 1

I'm most of the way (180 pgs) into Damo's book, "Daoist Nei Gong" and have found it remarkably descriptive in a way that can be related to, rooted in principle and actual progression of accomplishment. Occasionally there is this or that little thing that I think he's fuzzy on, but it is LIGHT YEARS ahead of various books published decades ago. We (the english speaking) are in a whole new level of quality teachings available to the aspirant.

I have 2 of his other books waiting on the shelf, and I look forward to them.

• Like 4

I haven’t met Damo Mitchell and am fairly new to his teachings via his books, but I’ve had many decades of experience with teachers and personal cultivation. From this perspective, Damo Mitchell comes across as an amazing person of considerable attainment. He is totally dedicated both to his personal practice and to teaching everything he knows with a high degree of openness. (He doesn’t believe in secrecy, although personal transmission is important to him.) The depth of his theoretical knowledge and his communication skill is evident in the clarity of his writings. Hence I wholehearted recommend him to anyone interested in Daoist Neidan. Indeed, these teachings have great power when put into practice by any dedicated student of inner growth. 

My main reservation is a general one that applies to all teachings. Whilst for me teachings have been, and continue to be essential, I think everyone must ultimately find their own path. For Damo Mitchell, that’s obviously the path of Neidan and teaching. He has searched and found his path; likewise, we all must find our own. Imitating even the most gifted teacher’s path will only get us so far. Specific to Damo Mitchell, I find his approach just a tad too systemised. He gives the impression of certainty in matters that life experience has shown me can never be certain. As Jung writes, “The sure path can only lead to death.”  In other words, I find him a little young and inexperienced when it comes to understanding why people can’t necessarily meaningfully go where he has gone; indeed, why no one on a spiritual path can predetermine their destination. But never-the-less, he is an awesome individual with much to offer!   

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 6

I find his approach just a tad too systemised. He gives the impression of certainty in matters that life experience has shown me can never be certain. ... In other words, I find him a little young and inexperienced when it comes to understanding why people can’t necessarily meaningfully go where he has gone;

one of my teachers said something like, "you hear about the path steps 1-2-3, but it's actually a mess". Hang out in a group of teacher / students and, you know what?, most students are average (and with very little cultural prep for the esoteric process). Teachers often have a very rare level of development that most of us are working hard on the early prerequisites for those attainments. I guess, my point: I found Damo's descriptions optimistic re: ease of attainment and assuming lack of obstacles.

Still, I found some of his descriptions immediately useful. For instance, Damo's description of the central channel overlapped and complemented Sifu Matsuo's description when talking about silk reeling.

Once a student really gets bitten by the path, they might not know it yet, but they're in it from there on out ... and inevitably over decades study with a number of different teachers, different modalities etc. Lots of methods all toward one thing, it turns out. There's no substitute for going around the block a few times.

I also, btw, appreciated that Damo was refreshingly unpretentious about several subject areas and saying straight out that he hadn't gotten that far and so couldn't write much but to only mention the topic.

anyway,

:)

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 6

one of my teachers said something like, "you hear about the path steps 1-2-3, but it's actually a mess". Hang out in a group of teacher / students and, you know what?, most students are average (and with very little cultural prep for the esoteric process). Teachers often have a very rare level of development that most of us are working hard on the early prerequisites for those attainments. I guess, my point: I found Damo's descriptions optimistic re: ease of attainment and assuming lack of obstacles.

Still, I found some of his descriptions immediately useful. For instance, Damo's description of the central channel overlapped and complemented

when talking about silk reeling.

Once a student really gets bitten by the path, they might not know it yet, but they're in it from there on out ... and inevitably over decades study with a number of different teachers, different modalities etc. Lots of methods all toward one thing, it turns out. There's no substitute for going around the block a few times.

I also, btw, appreciated that Damo was refreshingly unpretentious about several subject areas and saying straight out that he hadn't gotten that far and so couldn't write much but to only mention the topic.

anyway,

:)

I've been doing some more reading and research on Damo's work. Very humble, very accomplished (at a young age that too) and he exudes a very positive, compassionate energy.  

I am sure he will go from strength to strength with time...

• Like 5

Does anyone know what his jing gong entails ?

this is from the lotus nei gong site

"Jing Gong Practice

Jing Gong is an umbrella term for the various standing postures we use within the Lotus Nei Gong school. These static training methods are different from what many people would know as Zhan Zhuang as they are designed to awaken various parts of a person’s energy body. This type of work forms a large part of our practice and students will encounter Jing Gong from the first day within our school. Different Jing Gong methods are utilised at different stages in a  students development."

I have read about a third of White Moon on the Mountain Peak on the Nei Dan process and so far it is very informative.

Too bad such a good book wasn't available when I started out many years ago.

It is miles ahead in clarity compared to what came before it which have been too philosophical and not useful IMHO.

So bravo Damo Mitchell, good work.

• Like 5

I also liked white moon on the mountain peak.

I just wondered that there is not replenishing of the 3  pre- heaven treasures in it, he seems to get them just out of the wuji (the 3 alchemical agents), but no replenishing going on. He just redirects the postheaven jing to flow upwards instead of downwards. which is a good thing but where is the pre-heaven replenishing?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Trunk said:

Several teachers on facebook, who allow like/follow on their page (you don't have to know them so well as to be-'friend' them), who regularly post with teaching intent:

Deng Ming-Dao

https://www.facebook.com/dengmingdao

Joe Lok

https://www.facebook.com/joelokacademy

https://www.facebook.com/lokwaimanjoe

Damo Mitchell

https://www.facebook.com/damomitchellneigong

Wow!  What a gift to be able to see written as well as video posts by these teachers!

• Like 1