Sign in to follow this  
3bob

is your cat a reincarnation of a past cat?

I have an unknown cat who is very comfortable being in my backyard.  He acts a lot like my past cat including looking very similar!  He doesn't run away when he sees me but keeps a little distance when I talk to him...makes me wonder if anyone has had a similar cat experience? 

• Like 4

Had a feral imposter cat that looked exactly like our black and white queen. It was only when my wife spotted three cats in our kitchen that we eventually realised we had an imposter who was gleefully eating it's way through our cats kitty feast.

• Like 3

btw, the neighborhood cats don't give the mice or the wild rabbits around here much chance.  Btw2, why some guys don't respect cats or even hate them is revealing of their poor programing as a kid or other flaws per my observations.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 3

btw, the neighborhood cats don't give the mice or the wild rabbits around here much chance. Btw2, why some guys don't respect cats or even hate them is revealing of their poor programing as a kid or other flaws per my observations.

I've just spent two weeks in Cat/dog paradise. Turkey neuter, treat and feed stray animals to the extent that the streets are full of them. Our hotel was home to at least twenty assorted moggies which were very tame. I spent several days by the pool with a pair of young cats curled up on the sun lounger with me. I like cats so they are welcome to spend as long as they want in my company.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 2

with as many cats as I've  come into contact with over the years...I've "never encountered the same cat twice" (that I didnt already know was indeed the same cat)....I think its just more a statement on the origin of cat-nature.  then again, speaking of cat nature, it is rather odd for a cat to come RUNNING when you call her, even if its just saying her name when she enters the room.

• Like 4

with as many cats as I've  come into contact with over the years...I've "never encountered the same cat twice" (that I didnt already know was indeed the same cat)....I think its just more a statement on the origin of cat-nature.  then again, speaking of cat nature, it is rather odd for a cat to come RUNNING when you call her, even if its just saying her name when she enters the room.

LOL not really. Cats equate human phrases with particular rewarding behaviours-mostly feeding. Actually with cats it's always feeding. Dogs on the other hand seem equally motivated by reward, but are keen to perform a trick or two to get it.

• Like 1

LOL....I dont think you get that these two have been with me every day for the last 4 years, since they were 7, 8 weeks old,  I work at home and they spend a *lot* of time with me - their behavior indicates that they genuinely enjoy my company, always seek to hang out near me (with a certain funny yinyang periodicity between the two) and a very high percentage of the time when I pet them, they purr very quickly. 

I've had a lot of cats over the years, friends, family with cats - uncommonly strong bond with these two I got :)  trust me, they know every bit as much when I say I love you as when I say do you want a treat ;)

• Like 3

LOL....I dont think you get that these two have been with me every day for the last 4 years, since they were 7, 8 weeks old,  I work at home and they spend a *lot* of time with me - their behavior indicates that they genuinely enjoy my company, always seek to hang out near me (with a certain funny yinyang periodicity between the two) and a very high percentage of the time when I pet them, they purr very quickly. 

I've had a lot of cats over the years, friends, family with cats - uncommonly strong bond with these two I got :)  trust me, they know every bit as much when I say I love you as when I say do you want a treat ;)

It's cupboard love Joe. Cats are furry sluts, it wasn't until our cats died that we learned that our loyal twosome had 4 homes each. I like that about cats and never mistake the apparent loyalty for anything but simple survival.

Cats don't reincarnate; they live beyond time in an eternal now of stillness and presence.

They live all of their lives simultaneously like a river carrying many leaves in its stream.

It's not your previous cat that is coming back to you, but it's you the one that is trying to get to him.

[...] Btw2, why some guys don't respect cats or even hate them is revealing of their poor programing as a kid or other flaws per my observations.

It's not human to not respect cats, imho.

• Like 6

lol karl...ol yeti pops used to pet angry black regularly.  I could imitate his voice pretty well, and fooled angry black a couple times, he came over for pets anyway.  I dont think yeti pops ever fed him once, though.  just pets and companionship.

It's cupboard love Joe. Cats are furry sluts, it wasn't until our cats died that we learned that our loyal twosome had 4 homes each. I like that about cats and never mistake the apparent loyalty for anything but simple survival.

lol....when I was away at lin's for a few days, my roomate was telling me about how much time my cats spent looking for me and meowing around the house.  he fed them and gave them treats while I was away, but they most certainly didnt come running for him.

anyway, I'm not talking like a jealous lover about my cats or think that anyone else would or wouldnt pet them and treat them well like I do.  they simply do not have the opportunity to go find that out. 

• Like 1

doesn't the nine lives thing mean one life with nine near death saves...

I think all cats are Buddhists.  They get 8 reincarnations and then they become humans.

• Like 3

lol karl...ol yeti pops used to pet angry black regularly. I could imitate his voice pretty well, and fooled angry black a couple times, he came over for pets anyway. I dont think yeti pops ever fed him once, though. just pets and companionship.

lol....when I was away at lin's for a few days, my roomate was telling me about how much time my cats spent looking for me and meowing around the house. he fed them and gave them treats while I was away, but they most certainly didnt come running for him.

anyway, I'm not talking like a jealous lover about my cats or think that anyone else would or wouldnt pet them and treat them well like I do. they simply do not have the opportunity to go find that out.

Furry sluts I'm telling you. They are creatures of habit though, so, once in an established routine they don't much like change-try carting them to the vet, or the Cattery. Not keen on it at all. Grumpy for several days after, but never 'off ' their food of course. They can be recalcitrant, moody and almost arrogant, but still come a running when they hear the rattle of kitty feast.

Your getting too attached to them and hoping its kitty love, but it really isn't, just a mixture of familiarity and food, but pretend away, we all like a bit of romantic fantasy. :-) just don't go getting upset when you find out they have been playing away and getting fondeled by another's hands.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

I think all cats are Buddhists.  They get 8 reincarnations and then they become humans.

I think that's more an Egyptian theme ?

• Like 2

when I was a child, the mum of my best friend died, she had a long and awful sickbed at home.

I remember their cat, a beautiful black creature, always coming to me to be scratched on the head or share a purring session on my lap.

When the mother died and was buried, next day the cat was gone, more sadness for my friend and her little sister. the cat was found at the graveyard, on the grave. a ten minute walk for my friend. She brought her home and fed her. but the cat kept disappearing, again and again to be found at the grave. After the weeks she started to eat less...and less. After about a half year she was found dead, lying on the gravestone.

giving up all her nine lives apparently, was a healthy, vigorous cat, not anywhere near death of being too old.

• Like 10

Furry sluts I'm telling you. They are creatures of habit though, so, once in an established routine they don't much like change-try carting them to the vet, or the Cattery. Not keen on it at all. Grumpy for several days after, but never 'off ' their food of course. They can be recalcitrant, moody and almost arrogant, but still come a running when they hear the rattle of kitty feast.

Your getting too attached to them and hoping its kitty love, but it really isn't, just a mixture of familiarity and food, but pretend away, we all like a bit of romantic fantasy. :-) just don't go getting upset when you find out they have been playing away and getting fondeled by another's hands.

I think you'd get about as far trying to lecture Taomeow on the nature of cats, bro ;)

• Like 3

when I was a child, the mum of my best friend died, she had a long and awful sickbed at home.

I remember their cat, a beautiful black creature, always coming to me to be scratched on the head or share a purring session on my lap.

When the mother died and was buried, next day the cat was gone, more sadness for my friend and her little sister. the cat was found at the graveyard, on the grave. a ten minute walk for my friend. She brought her home and fed her. but the cat kept disappearing, again and again to be found at the grave. After the weeks she started to eat less...and less. After about a half year she was found dead, lying on the gravestone.

giving up all her nine lives apparently, was a healthy, vigorous cat, not anywhere near death of being too old.

Awww that's sad. It reminds me of Bartleby the Scrivener.

Cats don't reincarnate; they live beyond time in an eternal now of stillness and presence.

They live all of their lives simultaneously like a river carrying many leaves in its stream.

It's not your previous cat that is coming back to you, but it's you the one that is trying to get to him.

It's not human to not respect cats, imho.

a similar thought crossed my mind about me trying to get back to him, quite insightful of you.  :)

• Like 1

with as many cats as I've  come into contact with over the years...I've "never encountered the same cat twice"

It's been my experience too.   The cats I knew were all different to the same extent people are different -- no more, no less. 

For many years I hoped to find the reincarnation of my most beloved cat, Barsik ("little leopard" in Russian), whom I lost when I was 10.  There were many stray cats in our city, you could always spot a cat or two here and there wherever you went, and I was looking for my cat all the time.  I didn't know anything about reincarnation, but at the time, I invented it and wished for it to manifest.  My silent covenant with whatever powers in charge of such things (I was raised an atheist) went as follows: yes, I know it's impossible, but I won't worry about the how of it if it happens -- if he comes back, I will accept him with no questions asked.  I don't care how he comes back, as another cat who is Barsik, or as himself back from the dead.  (Well, no Pet Cemetery horrors back then, so I didn't imagine anything Steven King style sick and morbid.)  It took me at least two years to stop looking for my cat.

Then I got another cat.  I regret to this day not loving him as much as he deserved, he was a wonderful cat, with legendary good looks and the sweetest, mildest disposition.  But he was most definitely not Barsik.  Barsik had been full of mischief, a troublemaker, a daredevil, he was one of those cats they make Youtube videos about today that get a million hits.  The new cat had nothing of that nature in him.  Timid, eager to please almost like a dog.  Sigh.  

My next cat was like a sister to me for 18 years.  Nothing like the previous two, not much cat about her -- she considered herself human and got upset if she was treated as a cat.  She didn't like cats.  She liked people.  She tried to prove to me that she was human every day, in every way -- e.g., by learning how to speak.  She would enter the room with a hello -- always, no exceptions.  Well, not this exact pronunciation, she had a special word for hello -- "nya," fourth tone if you know Chinese.   She always said "bye" or "well, I'll be going now" when she left the room -- always.  Also "nya," but third tone.  I could write a book about her human behaviors and more than behaviors -- she had human mentality.  That of a very good human being.  Whose only flaw was, she didn't like cats.  

And so on... 

• Like 9

My relationships reflect the level, depth and breadth of my awareness and understanding.

When one has a ping pong ball sized understanding and awareness, their relationship with cats is a ping pong ball depth and breadth of experience and relationship.

When one has a basketball sized understanding of cats, the relationship reflects this, in depth, breadth and level.

Neither are wrong, or right, yet they are vastly different.

The same principles apply to all things with which I have relationships... which is why, when I revisit some books, films and persons in my life now, my understanding of them and my relationship to them is vastly different, because my field of awareness has shifted.

• Like 7

So, my gal just called me and when I finish this post, we're heading over to a friend's house.  Our friend has been fostering cats for thirty years and works in conjunction with a local adoption group and she's currently fostering a wild born female that we've hung out with and we're considering bringing her into the family today.

We have a sister/brother who were also wild born and who currently live in near constant liquid bliss with us.

and while I've no interest in breaking what is currently an amazing situation, I anticipate, I'll soon be posting some pics of the latest addition to our family.

• Like 5

So, my gal just called me and when I finish this post, we're heading over to a friend's house.  Our friend has been fostering cats for thirty years and works in conjunction with a local adoption group and she's currently fostering a wild born female that we've hung out with and we're considering bringing her into the family today.

We have a sister/brother who were also wild born and who currently live in near constant liquid bliss with us.

and while I've no interest in breaking what is currently an amazing situation, I anticipate, I'll soon be posting some pics of the latest addition to our family.

Furry bundles of scratchy, purring, bitey Joy. I often fancy another one, but I'm of the opinion, from things I read through the cats protection league, that they shouldn't be allowed out, except in a protected run (both our previous cats got cancer which is said to be the result of contact in urban environments, of course in rural areas there are other predators). My wife thinks that cruel. So as we can't agree, it's easier not to have another. The cost of food, vets, Kennels and flea stuff makes it prohibitive as well. However I do like the daft little things.

• Like 1

I doubt reincarnation works that way. Mine, Sophie, may have been a mouse or lion once, but now she whatever it is she is. (I imagine being barnacles would be a peaceful step up for us.)

Anyway,, I like her manner and company, I think thats mutual, but dont see why anyone really needs to have some kind of exclusive loyalty from a cat , I dont require that of her, shes a cat! just my regular ol cat, But that doesnt mean that I as a human ,feel cat like about her. That would be screwy.

The beauty of the stars is in our minds, not in hot gasses.I love my widdle kitty whether shes as mushy as I am or not.:)

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this