Zarastinia

I'm learning to make traditional Chinese knots

I figured I might as well share my work here.

Here's some WIP and final pictures of my last project, a 12x12 pan chang in 2mm yellow cord.

Aug%2B29%2C%2B2016%2B10%3A22%3A07%2BAM.j

Foundational weave

Aug%2B29%2C%2B2016%2B8%3A20%3A57%2BPM.jp

About 80% done

Sep%2B17%2C%2B2016%2B9%3A54%3A39%2BPM.jp

Final weave partially tightened.

Sep%2B18%2C%2B2016%2B8%3A33%3A45%2BAM.jp

Completed knot.

I'm working on another for my fiance. Both will be parts of belt hangings at some point.

• Like 9

Awesome. Just four days ago my mum taught me to knit. After 4 days I've finished my first scarf, the idea is to have 15 done by Christmas for my relatives. The thing is - I just cant believe how addictive it is. I guess it's something to do with using both hands in a focused way. I even did it today at a train station and while sitting on the floor and guess what, someone threw me some money thinking I was a homeless beggar - result !

• Like 4

I even did it today at a train station and while sitting on the floor and guess what, someone threw me some money thinking I was a homeless beggar - result !

I find this ammusing in a good way

• Like 1

LOL!! Love the train station!

The knotting is really cool. I have this "Ashley book of knots" or something like that, and I still don't do knotting which is just crazy -- I always wanted to learn at least a lot of basics but I manage to ignore the book for like 30 years. Can't believe I still have it..

I also have an old book on Kumihimo (Japanese braiding... many words for knots, macrame, etc.) that is neat. Some of these very simple versions went 'american fad' used as bracelets -- some of the complicated ones have over 70 or over 140 threads... but they are really cool. They use this round object, like a small table you could sit with, that has an opening in the center the threads go through, and the threads distribute around the outer edge, and then there is a pattern you move them in (a sequence) -- I could see this being done well to some kind of music/beat if it had to be done for long periods. I think I only made one very simple braid but it's almost impossible to do any of it and not have it come out looking very cool.

The one you did, the big square knot, seems more complicated to me. :-) Came out looking great though!

RC

Edited by redcairo
  • Like 1