Sign in to follow this  
Lois

mysteries of the blockade of Leningrad

mysteries of the blockade of Leningrad

Well known from the history of the German siege of Leningrad during World War II. But there is a fact that with the aid of logic to explain. The Germans were in a 3 km from the Kirov plant, which the war produced tanks to the USSR. Bomb it was a matter of a couple of days for the artillery battery. However, it is the Germans did not.

Any explanations?

I can't find my copy of this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stalingrad-Pocket-Penguin-70s-Book-ebook/dp/B002RI9DUG/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474198730&sr=1-1&keywords=beevor+stalingrad

which may have the answer.

But I suspect like all the mistakes made by the Nazis on the eastern front it was a result of Hitler's tendency to micro manage events from Berlin - rather than rely on local intelligence.

• Like 1

WW II abounds with silly mistakes and lucky coincidences.  The more I study the more unlikely fragile history seems.  Our present has gotten here largely through a series of dumb luck. 

As we say in golf, the ball has to go somewhere.  Yet the exact place it lands, is from the pasts perspective a one in a million shot, almost impossible to do again.  

• Like 3

I believe most of the production equipment and workforce had already been moved out to factory 100 (Tankograd) at that point, although the Leningrad factory did remain operational it wasn't key to the production of arms.

I believe most of the production equipment and workforce had already been moved out to factory 100 (Tankograd) at that point, although the Leningrad factory did remain operational it wasn't key to the production of arms.

WOW excellent!

WW II abounds with silly mistakes and lucky coincidences.  The more I study the more unlikely fragile history seems.  Our present has gotten here largely through a series of dumb luck.

I think that's also why history, past the last century or so, is such a ridiculously skewed topic -- because we always basically start with knowledge of the result and then "make it make sense" based on that, in retrospect. So insane amounts of assumption and suspicion get written into an assumed situation. Nobody would work out a history that included immense amounts of "total chance didn't mean anything" and "made absolutely no sense whatsoever" and "for no apparent reason because this one guy you never heard of but who was a Major was actually a lunatic" and so on.

IMO History can only be understood at the meta-level, where all individual actions, events and circumstance are averaged into irrelevance. So we can track Hitler becoming leader back to the Treaty of Versailles, but the closer you go to the detail, the more deviation 'logic' starts to have -- and that's very recent history so clearer to us than anything prior.

RC

Edited by redcairo
  • Like 1

On 18.09.2016 at 6:20 AM, Lois said:

Well known from the history of the German siege of Leningrad during World War II. But there is a fact that with the aid of logic to explain. The Germans were in a 3 km from the Kirov plant, which the war produced tanks to the USSR. Bomb it was a matter of a couple of days for the artillery battery. However, it is the Germans did not.

Any explanations?

It is really hard to explain. Perhaps this is the Fate and protection of Heaven.

Sign in to follow this