lovecraftssiren

How do you explain Daoism?

How would I explain Daoism to people who have never heard of it, like my friends and family? I really want to show that it's who I am and what I believe in. My family is very atheist and all my friends are either Christian or Muslim. I fear they will judge me too heavily, as I am not even from the country Daoism is founded in.

• Like 1

Daoism is life in the real world.

Daoism includes Atheists as well as religious folks.

If religion is removed from Daoist Philosophy it would be compatible with Islam as well as Christianity.

In your case I would think that you speak only of selected aspects of Dao with your family (non-religious) and with your friends (the commonalities between their beliefs and yours).

And you would be being true to your own beliefs as long as you stay away from discussions that would create a conflict.

• Like 10

How would I explain Daoism to people who have never heard of it, like my friends and family? I really want to show that it's who I am and what I believe in. My family is very atheist and all my friends are either Christian or Muslim. I fear they will judge me too heavily, as I am not even from the country Daoism is founded in.

Welcome and good question... it will be asked for many life times to come as well :)

I'd try this.  Take about 4-6 completely and seemingly unrelated aspects to life and the universe and mention them to someone... and then ask what is it that ties these all together?

Likely most will answer "God"... and you could ask how is it tied together?   And maybe you'll get answers regarding the act of creation and God in all things, etc.

You could then relate that the guiding force in the universe and life that gives everything its 'way' to come and go is also referred to as Dao.   That instead of a religious undertone it is as Ni says, 'the subtle reality of the universe' that is in everything but asks for nothing.   

• Like 7

Dawei said:

"You could then relate that the guiding force in the universe and life that gives everything its 'way' to come and go is also referred to as Dao.   That instead of a religious undertone it is as Ni says, 'the subtle reality of the universe' that is in everything but asks for nothing."  

This is the explanation in that paragraph that I like the BEST of all!   D.A.D.
  • Like 2

Best to find the golden thread that ties all together.

Different cultures have different names for the same thing, the unknown.

Many good people do not know the true roots of their religion and its function to lead others but are great people so then you are basically talking about the same thing, the unknown, the unseen,the unheard and few have tasted that which has no flavor.

Followers are not the architects. The Tao is uncontrived.

• Like 2

Dao is the study of existence as it is; there is no dogma, only the journey to uncover the truth.  What is, Is.

• Like 8

I really want to show that it's who I am and what I believe in. 

I would start by looking deeply at who it is you think you are and what it is that you believe in.

Spend some time with that, not just superficial answers.

Can you accurately answer those questions for yourself?

If so, can you summarize that insight and share that with your friends and family?

Rather than trying to tell your loved ones what Daoism is, tell them who you are.

What Daoism means is a very personal and unique thing for all of us.

Until you can find that in yourself, you're just sharing with them a label you choose to identify with.

To me that is an important aspect of Daoism.

More importantly, that is a fundamental aspect of all meaningful spirituality.

Good luck!

• Like 13

The OP's question brought up a memory I'd like to share.

I was once preparing to help someone in my professional life and their son asked me if I believed in God.

It was an interesting place to be for me as my relationship with the whole concept of God is a very complicated one and at that time I was in the midst of deeply investigating myself and my beliefs (I guess I still am).

I knew that saying 'no' would potentially undermine this person's confidence in me and would make them even more insecure and uncomfortable. On the other hand, I felt (and feel) very deeply that it is inaccurate, foolish, and disrespectful to assert that I can conceive of the creator or nature of reality, let alone capture it in a meaningless label like God. Then I thought, how can I possibly begin to have a conversation like this with someone who is simply afraid and concerned for his mother's well being and looking for some degree of reassurance and support? All this went through my head and just looked into his eyes for a few moments...

In the end I answered - "yes, although I'm not certain my idea of God is similar to yours" - he assumed I was referring to his perceived differences in our religions (he is Christian and I was born into a Jewish family) but he felt better and seemed to be satisfied.

I guess I'm saying all this to point out the fact that most people like to label concepts and that gives them a certain degree of security, however false that may be. There are times when it may be useful to challenge those assumptions and other times when it is best to let them hold onto their security blankets. 

• Like 13

Yep.  For many people labels are their security blankets.

I do try to leave people warm and comfy under their blankets.  (Not always successful.)

• Like 4

its an albatross, stosh.

enjoyed reading thankyou for the input.

I disagree that I need to go share with my family....

the probable outcome would be not peaceful from my view point.

besides that--I am not daoist by definition....

but whatever is..is...to a  certain degree.....

the mind is a super distorter-thank you for that pointer.

as is the emotions...

• Like 1

its an albatross, stosh.

enjoyed reading thankyou for the input.

I disagree that I need to go share with my family....

the probable outcome would be not peaceful from my view point.

besides that--I am not daoist by definition....

but whatever is..is...to a  certain degree.....

the mind is a super distorter-thank you for that pointer.

as is the emotions...

Good ! Background is ,that we've argued that very thing plenty in the past,, and that includes some very knowledgeable and invested people,, just  as much as folks of casual or tangential interest. 

You , though you may not come from China etc, still have aspects of this thing that you enjoy , or believe etc etc.

IF its a real thing and Not just some ancient quirky traditional BS , then the truths apply to anyone anywhere! and ....what you get out of it , is exactly what it is to You. 

The  Christian, Muslim , Jew ,, whatever,,  who follows the rules of that faith ,but  who doesnt really embrace any of it , is the BS artist. Not the person who is genuine about their thing. 

But trying to explain this sort of thing to people who have their heels dug in , who have their beliefs and emotions wrapped up in other ,, faiths or traditions , is a waste of time. You'd likely end up finding yourself either having to invalidate them or being invalidated by them. 

So my advice just bypasses really getting in to it all, its still true , and if they really are open to other ideas, they can be more specific. 

If they go that route , feel free to share what you know and love about it, just don't fit your answers to the expectations they probably have and be sincere. such as ,, ummm "I love the Tai chi, but dont really get some of the other stuff yet,, Ill tell you about it when I get to that point. If they take that as an opportunity to dump on you , You can follow with ," Well ,,I like it, You dont need to. " :)

• Like 2

living in harmony with the universe is taoism

How can you live in harmony with the universe? Isn't living in an environment or a society far from harmony. How do you live yourself in harmony following Daoism? Where did you learn to live in harmony? From a book, a scripture or teachings from someone?

What is it you believe, lovecraftssiren?
  • Like 1

What is it you believe, lovecraftssiren?

Do you really need to believe in something? I guess those who are in touch with nature have less tendency to believe in something, they admire and respect nature, don't they?