Sign in to follow this  
Veezel

What does it mean to be human?

What does it mean to be human?

I've been reading The Tao of Pooh lately (by Benjamin Hoff. Great Book.), and I read the fourth chapter, Cottleston Pie. There it talked about everyone's unique "Inner Nature".

I understand that as humans with varying personalities, we are all unique. Each one of us. But are there universal things about us that marks our humanity?

Like, for example, as humans, we all desire to eat when we're hungry. This is normal.

But what about our personalities and tendencies. What personalities and tendencies do we all have in common?

Are we naturally cruel? Are we naturally gentle? Are we naturally evil? Are we naturally good?

In other words, what does it mean to be a human?

It means you are heir to all that humanity is suceptible. So to look inward is also looking outward, and vice versa. Human behavior has been used as the denominator of goodness, and looking at it that way, man must concluded to be good by definition, one might also decide that human preference defines what should be called good, or bad if the thing is what we collectively dont like. Goodness could be what I personally want, or what we are told is defined by laws, or gods.

Taoism leans on this propensity , that good stuff is what we like, what brings us health and long life, so we would only need to act according to our native social standard to be good , wise, just etc.

Christianity, suggests that a man isnt good unless his behavior aligns with Gods law, and so a christian has to look to gods influence , or grace to deem himself good, or be judged by God himself to be good.

So theres a point which could align the two definitions, pivoting around whether the spirit of God lives in all men , by his grace. ,,embraced by man ,,,Or if that glimmer is mans light on his own which he may embrace.

Either way, most can search themselves and find goodness , the social imperative, empathy or compassion.

• Like 1

what we have in common is being motivated by issues and problems through which creativity and the world starts. and instinctive nature.

Man is the animal with the faculty of reason. This distinguishes us from all other animals.

If one is in good health, one tends to be kinder than if one is in poor health.

And before anyone comments that they've known lots of cruel healthy people, I am using a higher standard for health than than your local GP.

If someone has strong smooth flowing chi, if their eyes sparkle, if they eat wholesome food, sleep well, exercise sensibly, if they are clear level headed and emotionally stable... then I would be very surprised if they were not kind.

Cruelty only happens when there is a problem of some kind.

• Like 1

It might mean we're lucky. 

To be here and know it. 

A chance to ask and find answers. 

Live out dramas, create happy endings. 

To find meaning, passion, love!

A chance to look Infinity in the eye

then binge watch Netflix.

Sign in to follow this