Sign in to follow this  
sagebrush

water filter(s)

I have great concern for clean water. Let me back up and say that at this point it is very obvious that I am dehydrated.

I am recycling plastics at an unbelievable rate..most is coming from bottled water I buy at the store.

this brings in the waste that I am generating..I saw a statistic not sure if it is true, but that a plastic bottle will remain intact for 1000 years in landfill...not sure how much I buy is recycled and then what percent that I take to recycling is really being recycled. and the bpa contained in most plastics leaches into my water.

get to the point.

wondering if any  of the Bums here have water filtration systems and are willing to share

what they are using.

Berky water purification systems. any body here use that system?

I can see a great savings in spending the money buying filtration for the tap water.

been meaning to buy one for years now and I have really only investigated this one company.

Edited by sagebrush

I decided against installing a big system, I got a smaller double pan gravity driven filter system, a propur.  I like it much better than any other filter I've tried.  they said that the filters would last a year or two and filter more slowly as they reach the end of their life, but the two filters in my pan are still producing the same as the day I bought them, 4 years later.

• Like 1

My fridge has a built in water filter.  When it didn't we used one of those pitcher systems with filters.  Good to leave it out so you don't waste energy opening up the fridge.   At home I drink filtered water, but I don't get too obsessed with it.  Avoid regular tap too much and when you do have an inevitable glass, it could make you sick.

While buying small bottles of water is wasteful, there are larger sizes, one to five gallons, find a grocery that sells refills of filtered water for less then a dollar a gallon.  Not just grocery stores but the big box hardware stores also are in the water game. 

If you really get crazy check out http://www.findaspring.com/ and hunt down your own water :).

• Like 2

Visit's to my grandparents included an adjustment to the flora and fauna inhabiting my gut. They relied on well water and it had no taste (like water at home). But a belly ache was common, on occasion the runs, for a few days until things sorted themselves out. Once of age I switched to beer, preferably local and cold, end of issues.

• Like 4

When backpacking through Europe and Middle East I was given this rule of thumb, if you're only going to be in town for a few days avoid the water, go bottled.  If you're going to be there over a week, drink, get used to it, inevitably you'll slip up anyway. 

That's with relatively clean water sources.  Getting used to different water, even clean stuff can shake up your system. 

• Like 2

I have numerous 5 gallon glass jugs, and go to a local spring to fill up. You could have the water tested for purity just to make sure. Spring water is the best kind there is.

Plastic water bottles are really not so good...chemicals leech into the water.

That being said...it's better to drink enough tap water or plastic bottle water, than it is to go without water. Any water is necessary for well being.

Another way to boost hydration is to eat a little bit of juicy fruits that are in season.

And finally, a great way is to make a really thin rice congee. The rice soaks up the fluids and they are very easily assimilated into the rest of the body. Basmati rice is good if you're what Chinese medicine calls "damp", and mochi rice is good if the basmati rice is acting too much like a diuretic.

• Like 2

really not sure why I even asked because I am not going to take anyone else's advice.

as in zero water is terrible.

this forum is not a place for sound advice on water.

brita is to cheap and you KNOW as well as I do that that shit filter will not get the crap out of tap water...

etc etc

these are half assed answers.

why don't I just go suck on a tara root?

burn my ass all weekend-

pull out the excorcism doll if you come play over here again. :wub:

Edited by sagebrush

hmmn, are the answers to your question really getting you so pissed that they'll burn my ass all weekend?? 

Oh well, its a full moon and maybe there's something in the water. 

You imply you're buying small bottles of water now, which is economically, environmentally and even health wise foolish since most bottled water isn't regulated.  If you think suggestions to buy a filter pitcher or double filtered (supermarket/hardware gallons) or find a local spring (w/ website locator) are half assed, then I doubt you'll ever find any thing of value on this site.  Especially from those deign to try to answer your questions. 

• Like 1

never mind my little outburst...just chaos.

I am thankful for responses.

ideas, suggestions, sharing, thoughtfulness, .....

I like your four universal healing salves!

and rob brezny

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this