Sign in to follow this  
Albion

Gods playing in the Clouds

Friends in Dao,

Could one of you explain to me the Qi Gong technique/energy work, called "Gods Playing in the Clouds".

I'd like to learn this, and do it daily.

Please remember that I'm in a wheelchair.

If you could lay it out in simple steps, it would be really helpful too!  

Thank you all very much!

Differently Abled Daoist 

Ha ha. I've read BFK's book 'Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body' where he gives an introduction to Zhan Zhuang. In it he mentions other kinds of exercises such as 'Gods Playing in the Clouds'. After watching a number of his Youtube videos, this is really possibly something you need to do with a teacher.

After some ZZ, I always do some simple swinging of my arms. So, the swings start off small, and then they get large enough so that my right hand bangs against my left shoulder and vice-versa. The swing then dies down. This is actually quite a common swing, is described in a few Chi Kung books and is meant to be very beneficial. For example, its meant to help stimulate/activate various lymph vessel and other things.

Everyday I also do some shaking of my limbs, this is another simple exercise that takes no real instruction (I hope, as I have none).

I then rub my body all over - these are all things I do after my ZZ.

Before, one of the things I do is perform windmills with my arms both ways. I only do 5, think you are meant to do 30.

As for the ZZ itself, you can still gain great benefits from just holding your arms up in the 2nd position, or holding a balloon. I've done this myself while lying down when I was not feeling great and it allows you to still relax your mind while putting a minor stress on your muscles which increases the blood flow during the 'meditation'.

This can be done daily for the number of minutes that you feel comfortable.

I also do the healing sounds, which has surprisingly enough really benefited my ZZ, they just seem to compliment each other.

Maybe there´s another "Gods Playing In the Clouds."  The one I know is from Michael Winn, a movement practice to get people into the groove of Lesser Kan & Li.  But that´s probably not the one you´re thinking of -- or is it?

• Like 1

I never got into Michael Winn's version of 'Gods Playing' form.  A form that might work very well in a wheel chair is his version of Pan Gu.  He gives a nice explanation and teaching here:

• Like 1

Hi DaD

You may also be referring to Bruce Frantzis' practice of Gods Playing in the Clouds.

I've never learned it, but I do notice youtube has a number of videos on it featuring some of Frantzis's senior students. Looks like there are also some more vids of Winn's practice with the same name. 

Maybe you can find what you're looking for there!

Happy hunting!

Sign in to follow this