Jeff

Energy Shielding - Theory & Practice

There seem to be some interest in discussing energy shielding with the issues & limitations as a followup to the energy in the chatroom thread, so I thought I would start such a thread. To try give a basic primer on how it works...

Everyone has a relative depth (or depending on your view, height) in "consciousness". As one starts to spiritually expand/open, they begin to experience things like energy flows and astral activity, noticing that they are broadly connected to the people, beings and the world around them. Some of these experiences can be challenging for many on a variety of fronts, so building energy shields to block these flows is very common.

With shielding, it may be helpful to think of it like this...

Assume you are a 6' tall person (level in consciousness) and other people are shooting at you. Since shielding is a conscious mental intent, you can only build a wall as big as you can reach, so effectively your wall is also 6 ft tall. Now if stuff is coming from the ambient ground or the person who is shooting at you is shorter than you than you are largely protected (this is what many healers do to avoid backwash from their healing).

But, there are multiple ways in which this can break down...

First, a taller person can see over your fence, has a better angle and still shoot you. Now in most cases this is highly unlikely as taller people are usually more advanced and don't shoot other people, as they respect everyone's space. This is also true of most higher beings.

Second, and most common is that we can only build a successful fence where one has the mental clarity to establish it in the first place. So you may be able to build a fence that is 6' tall, but you could have deep fear/issue at the 3' level and so you don't notice the giant gaping hole you have in your fence. Additionally, since you are spending all of the mental energy to build a fence in the first place, all of the beings capable of noticing fences (energy structures) come to check out your fence. And some beings love to look for and attach to those big gaping holes.

The third example is the subconscious one that I mentioned in the other thread. Some people are consciously 6' tall, but subconsciously perceive and send stuff, and hence are really more like 9' tall (but don't know it). So they build a fence that is only 6' tall and anyone even at lower heights can see them with the right angle and hit them.

Also, I should say that all that I have described is based upon extensive practical experience and not just some book theory. Feel free to comment, criticise or ask questions...

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

If you feel your picking up energetic dirt in the chat rooms, then the following may be helpful: 

Step 1: Remove yourself from the situation (Physically, Emotionally and Psychologically). 

Step 2: Go take a salt bath (this wipes off gunk).  

-This is just a simple example, but will help clean you off in most situations. The links below are a couple of useful source texts on the subject. Persistent and intentional psychic attacks are rare, 90% of the time it's your imagination or it's unintentional on the part of the other person. Many people like to live in novella land and the idea of intentional psychic attacks by a big scary "dark magician" can be fuel to play out drama. 

https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Psychic-Self-Defense-Home-Office-ebook/dp/B009LNGIF8/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473648823&sr=1-5#nav-subnav

https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Reversal-Magick-Beyond-101/dp/1564148793/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473647323&sr=1-1&keywords=protection+and+reversal+magick

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 8

Since we're starting (correctly, IMO) with simple remedies anyone can use, which are however pretty efficient against many "intrusions," I will add to our self-defense library-in-the-making a few of these for a warm-up.

Salt, proposed by OldChi, is universal, versatile, and very useful.  The Russian folk tradition is to always keep it around in an open container, not a shaker, specifically for dissipating unwelcome forces.  If such forces become noticeable, not one but several such containers are placed around the house.  Choose either natural rock salt or natural sea salt, because other varieties have "anti-caking" chemicals that will interfere with their activity.

Smudging with sage works very well. 

Ringing out with a good quality bell (mine is of the same make and model as Tibetan singing bowls), paying particular attention to all the corners, all the hard-to-reach dark places (behind furniture, under beds, etc.) is very good.  

A few drops of essential oils mixed into spring water in a spray bottle will be a good way to follow up on any such treatment.  The oils to choose are frankincense, myrrh, camphor, sandalwood, e.g., and the goal is to spray "everything" but in a very fine mist, don't ruin your furniture.  Shake well before using.

Drink a cup of coffee if you feel under a psychic attack.  Not Starbucks.  Strong, and prepared by you, and encoded with a message: "don't mess with me."  No sugar.  Many unruly entities behave as someone who is drunk rather than malicious in a focused way -- confused, agitated, rather chaotic.  This state they're in has an impact on the state of energies in and around you.  Coffee will help sober you up.  (If you are not used to strong coffee, be conservative, don't drink a lot all at once, take a sip, watch what's happening, proceed with caution.)

Clean and declutter your living premises.  Entities and energies that hide in clutter, in boxes with unidentified objects kept in storage (or undiscarded empty ones), in broken electrical devices and in piles of crumpled clothes, etc., are very unlikely to take residence in a place that is not a good hiding place. 

Some exorcists suggest removing all objects that have a face from the premises.  I'd reserve this measure for later and do it only if all else fails.  By a "face" they mean not just human faces (photographs, figurines, sculptures, paintings) but animals as well, including cute ones, toys, cartoons, even abstract smiley faces.  Don't make it easier for things that seek incarnation to incarnate.  A face is like an invitation to some of them, Dorian Grey style receptacle of evil (in case there's indeed evil seeping through from an amorphous source, it's easier to get rid of it while it's still amorphous, not let it condense).

These are some of the "good housekeeping" rules of spiritual self-defense.  I would most definitely start there before moving on to anything more involved. 

• Like 11

Thank you Jeff for starting this thread.

I do have some ‘problems’ with your fence building analogy though.  You say this is based on actual experience and not ‘just some book theory’ - which puzzles me since ‘energy’ or perhaps better put ‘the energy field’ doesn’t work like this.   And shields don’t work like this either.  

BTW all this talk of fences makes me think of people in their back gardens on step ladders looking into each others back gardens - but I think this is probably an English cultural reference since in the US its all open plan anyway? I might be wrong.

Any shielding you might put up - and I agree this is not always the right thing to do - is spherical (as magic circles and so on are really 2D versions of a 3D image of the sphere.  This isn’t just nit picking as it goes back to the paradigm of what you are seeking to do.  Your analogy is also very linear, talking of six foot people and so on - the higher up you are the more advanced - but actually at the depth of our spheres we are all the same height - at least in potential.  So it is possible to appeal in your magical protection not to your current state of spiritual attainment but to your potential.  This might be externalised as in tantra as a deity - or a master from the path in who’s lineage you work. Thus effectively provided protection at the highest level even if you don’t possess that attainment yourself.

Protection itself is not necessarily or even commonly ‘blocking’ - since blocking can just add to the attack.  As in directly opposing a physical punch can lead to more injury since in effect you are doubling the blow.

Most protection works by either assimilation and transformation of the ‘foreign’ energy or else by redirection.

An example of redirection is to turn away and not accept the incoming ‘attack’ - or incoming energy.  In fact it is the true origin of the ’turn the other cheek’ in the Bible.  This became twisted by priestly ideas for social conditioning to the idea that you having been once hit should present the the other cheek for hitting in a kind of self-subjugation.  Whereas the actual original meaning is ‘volte-face’ - turn your face - that is walk away from the fight by not acknowledging it.

Cleansing by water and salt (as has been mentioned), censing with incense and also loud noises - bells and clapping is good for getting rid of negatives which like to hang around.  And without falling into superstition there are amulets and so on that can afford protection.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 8

I think if I could just expose my fence a bit---

what do I want to say?

ok at the gas pump---

I hear a woman talking about how that morning she was aware of what time rick woke up that morning.

she had never met rick in her life---although they would be meeting to talk soon....in interview.

it is the kind of thing that would seem impossible. it was not like he was her neighbor, or boyfriend/husband or roommate

and she heard the noise of him waking up...

kiran -mystic girl in the city Buddha at the gas pump interview to be SPECIFIC

not sure if that is clear.

Edited by sagebrush

As well as shielding, strengthening the energy body and space clearing, I've heard that it's also possible to return directed negative energies to their source.

Any mileage in discussing the right tools and techniques for the right job e.g. protection from the office bully, shielding from toxic emotional environments and protection from obstructive spiritual forces?

Edited by rex
  • Like 2

Thank you Jeff for starting this thread.

I do have some ‘problems’ with your fence building analogy though.  You say this is based on actual experience and not ‘just some book theory’ - which puzzles me since ‘energy’ or perhaps better put ‘the energy field’ doesn’t work like this.   And shields don’t work like this either.  

BTW all this talk of fences makes me think of people in their back gardens on step ladders looking into each others back gardens - but I think this is probably an English cultural reference since in the US its all open plan anyway? I might be wrong.

Any shielding you might put up - and I agree this is not always the right thing to do - is spherical (as magic circles and so on are really 2D versions of a 3D image of the sphere.  This isn’t just nit picking as it goes back to the paradigm of what you are seeking to do.  Your analogy is also very linear, talking of six foot people and so on - the higher up you are the more advanced - but actually at the depth of our spheres we are all the same height - at least in potential.  So it is possible to appeal in your magical protection not to your current state of spiritual attainment but to your potential.  This might be externalised as in tantra as a deity - or a master from the path in who’s lineage you work. Thus effectively provided protection at the highest level even if you don’t possess that attainment yourself.

Protection itself is not necessarily or even commonly ‘blocking’ - since blocking can just add to the attack.  As in directly opposing a physical punch can lead to more injury since in effect you are doubling the blow.

Most protection works by either assimilation and transformation of the ‘foreign’ energy or else by redirection.

An example of redirection is to turn away and not accept the incoming ‘attack’ - or incoming energy.  In fact it is the true origin of the ’turn the other cheek’ in the Bible.  This became twisted by priestly ideas for social conditioning to the idea that you having been once hit should present the the other cheek for hitting in a kind of self-subjugation.  Whereas the actual original meaning is ‘volte-face’ - turn your face - that is walk away from the fight by not acknowledging it.

Cleansing by water and salt (as has been mentioned), censing with incense and also load noises - bells and clapping is good for getting rid of negatives which like to hang around.  And without falling into superstition there are amulets and so on that can afford protection.

Hi Apech,

I used the analogy of height and walls for relative simplicity of beginning explanations for the group. Additionally, I was just using the shooting comment for fun, I meant general energy flows between others, not necessarily a conscious attack. With your sphere (or bubble) of protection analogy it would be basically the same as I mentioned earlier, but would be described like this...

Rather than describing people/beings relative to height, one could say levels of refinement (or depth). When you build a shield, the energy mesh (of blocking and returning) is based on the relative energy refinement you have consciously realized. Hence a "higher level" person has more refined energy (smaller particals) that can easily go through the level of refinement of your bubble. Kind of like you have a chain link fence bubble and stuff can go through the holes.

This effect can be easily seen by anyone who has worked with a teacher/master. You may be raging with all of your shields up, but your teacher can easily bypass it all and send you calming and helpful energy.

I would also agree with you that is possible to augment a shield with the support of a teacher/master or a higher being. There are sort of two ways to do this...

First, a teacher or higher being can add energy to your efforts of building a shield (on a temporary basis). Kind of like they give you more refined energy so that you can build your wall a foot or two higher than you can on your own. But over time it is your mental barrier, and without refreshment, it goes back to your standard shield.

Second, a teacher/master can offer direct shielding. Kind of like take you under their bubble if they wish. There are many pros and cons to such an approach, but various versions of this technique are used in demon (or negative being) fighting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As well as shielding, strengthening the energy body and space clearing, I've heard that's it's also possible to return directed negative energies to their source.

I would definitely agree as you and Apech have described that it is possible to return negative energies to the source. But, in the analogy actual negative energies are at the two or three foot level and so more easily blocked and returned.

The much harder is like more random stuff that was felt in the chatroom that started this broader discussion. A few members felt negative stuff coming from certain members in the chatroom. I do not believe that those member with consciously trying to blast them with negative stuff that someone could catch and return. It was probably more like this...

The members in chat were just naturally radiating energy at a subconscious level (whether they had shields or not, it went through). That energy hit the other members and that energy "resonated" with an existing issue of their own. It is that resonating with your own issue that creates the pain/attack feeling (not the attack itself).

If one is clear of the underlying issues that the energy (or actual attack) is based upon, the energy does not "stick" as there is nothing for the energy to hit. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

People have different strengths and weaknesses. I was volunteering at a homeless shelter this morning where a lot of the people have a lot of resent towards their life situation. They feel out of control and so try to impose themselves on anything they can just so they have an influence on their surroundings. Unfortunately, this often happens to the be very people that are trying to help them, and so they are impolite, rude and nearly violent towards them.

I was a teacher in some tough schools and so this anger has no effect on me as I know it's just these people trying to gain some control of their life and nothing personal is meant by it. I can remain polite and understanding and can calm them down with relative ease. But it can really effect others working there.

However, when that has died down and there is just some normal back ground chat like in any place, it seems to enter my mind and direct my thoughts. I end up judging all the words that I hear. These quieter, subtler things influences me more.

So I have strengths and weaknesses in different situations ... 

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 5

An example of redirection is to turn away and not accept the incoming ‘attack’ - or incoming energy.  In fact it is the true origin of the ’turn the other cheek’ in the Bible. 

Oh my god, this is brilliant!  The biblical guys -- the real characters behind the (mighty skewed) narrative at least -- did practice a marital art based on pretty much the same principles as taijiquan.  It survives to this day (though it was kept secret for many generations, just like taiji and other gongfu arts) and its practitioners still get the jobs they had for close to two thousand years -- as bodyguards to Middle Eastern rulers.  I've seen a video.  They practice dressed in biblical clothes -- otherwise the similarities with taiji are striking, in both the slow practice routine and the lightning-fast fighting applications.  I'll try to look it up. 

I agree with much of what you told Jeff about the nature of shielding, by the way, except the part that it is always circular.  Not always.  Taoist shields can be shaped as one of the primordial wuxing patterns, i.e. circular if you use Metal for protection, triangular/pyramidal if you use Fire, square if you root your shields into the Earth, wavy for Water, and what Jeff describes -- that's Wood based protection.  Which of course won't work against anything but Earth based assaults.

• Like 4

I don't really relate to the description of shielding presented in the op, unless that is talking about fending off some kind of psychic attack. The main form of shielding I have used on occasion is to shield against random energies in certain situations.

For example in a hotel room I will put up a shield around the room to prevent me sleeping in others thought forms and energy, and one time I went to visit Glastonbury (which is well known energetically intense and weird town) I wad feeling really spaced out and overwhelmed and as soon as I put up a shield I felt instantly better.

But those are rare occasions, in general Shields will make you feel more contracted and as you get less information from the environment you are likely to feel more paranoid and fearful rather than more protected.

But in terms of psychic attack Dion Fortune wrote quite a lot about this, not sure I really believe it all though.

• Like 3

In my experience, the shielding has been in my dream state. I was given a Mantra by a Yogi in my dream many years ago. I used that Mantra to "evaporate" negative elements (again in my dream state) several times. I have also used it to generate a shield (a force field like you see in a sci-fi movie) around myself, my home, my neighborhood, etc.

A technique used in India even till date is using a conch (called Shankha in indian languages) at regular times of the day. 

http://bharathkidilse.blogspot.com/2009/10/shankham-conch.html

Another I've seen done as a kid is the burning of what we call dhunachi (coconut husk burned and sprinkled with some sort fragrant resins like frankincense etc).

• Like 5

An aside:

shielding is a skill that you improve like any other -- by learning and practicing consistently.  Shields can and should be customized.  Don't use one kind of shield against "all" weapons.  What works against a sword does not work against a bullet.  What works against a bullet does not work against an atom bomb.  Keep that in mind, and keep diversifying.   

My taiji teacher came the closest to ever getting angry with me just once in many years, when I told him I'm "sensitive to energies" in the sense, they can interfere, disrupt, influence me, etc..  I was specifically talking about electromagnetic pollution (which I personally perceive as a violent occult attack, much worse than a random human being is capable of instigating, and I have reasons to believe that the source, the origin of this assault is entirely not human yet very sentient, and very...  but I digress.)   He said that I must learn to protect myself every which way.  Taoist arts of self-defense are a skill that must grow as you work hard on it (that's what gongfu is), not a staged "for show" set-up where what you can protect yourself against is carefully pre-planned by the organizers of the event like in sports.  You need to be ready for the unexpected.

For successful psychic self-defense you need the same kind of calm confidence that's a prerequisite for successful self-defense in taiji.  You don't counterattack peripherally, you counterattack from your center -- an impossibility if you don't have it, so you must develop it.  What it is and where it is is up to you, but you have to have that and it has to be inviolable.  This is a kind of shield installed internally, so you don't have to worry that much about peripheral "violations" in the form of any intrusions and transgressions against you, because they are not going to penetrate there and do any real harm. 

Also, the "ward off," "redirect," etc. technique used by someone who has this center is very dangerous for the intruding/attacking party.  Very.  It's, like, you think you grabbed me -- nope, you grabbed a bait on a fishing hook attached to a fishing line attached to the fishing rod I control and you're at the mercy of now.  As soon as you attack and grab that bait, I have you, welcome to the frying pan.  You grabbed me you think?  Nope, you grabbed a qinna lock and placed yourself under arrest.  You will now be prosecuted and punished to the full extent of my imagination.

Those "things," "forces," etc. we're trying to avoid are a network too.  They have their own grapevine, they have an internet of their own, so to speak...  the word will spread around once you teach them who they're dealing with.  Be confident and be courageous.  They prey on cowardice.  Don't be reckless though.  Don't imagine you're invincible.  But develop your spiritual strength consciously and place your center there, and you'll be approached with much caution by any "accidental tourists" from the subtle realms.    

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Apologies if these go beyond shielding but they do seem relevant, especially for the sub-forum. They're very 'Hogwarts' too.

Uncrossing & magical defense

Egg spell for spiritual defense

Mirror Defense Spell

Rex, and other interest parties, In regard to uncrossing you might find my post here of interest:

Uncrossing using a seal from The Greater Key of Solomon

There is also a link in it to a post of mine on the wider meaning and uses of uncrossing.

• Like 2

Ack!  This can happen.  Maybe burning without a warning was too sudden.  Might not be a negs problem, might be communication problem?..  The first reaction is nearly always resistance if a near and dear is not on the same wavelength before you start.   I hope you work things out!

• Like 1

When my wife found me in the back yard burning entity infested items, it seemed that the negs departed the items and took up residence in her. We're going to need more salt.

OMG, Link, this made me laugh so hard!

It's gonna keep me tickled for  a week!

I do hope you're kidding around with us, but the way you phrased it is just hysterical.

What a great way to start the day.

(And I do hope your wife is okay.)

• Like 4

Well, I'm not much into shielding practices myself .... yet!...  :D 

But I remember Yamu (Michael Lomax) talking about shielding in some helpful ways...

and maybe in ways more specifically helpful for dealing with being in the presence of uncomfortable energies online.

(As Link has maybe drolly pointed out with his previous post... :D )

Any of Michael's students want to chime in?

• Like 1

Well, I'm not much into shielding practices myself .... yet!...  :D 

But I remember Yamu (Michael Lomax) talking about shielding in some helpful ways...

and maybe in ways more specifically helpful for dealing with being in the presence of uncomfortable energies online.

(As Link has maybe drolly pointed out with his previous post... :D )

Any of Michael's students want to chime in?

This seems to become an emotionally charged topic (as do so many here) and I was just enjoying reading the responses. :)

All I can do is share my current understanding...

The energy-body (name it as your wish) is like an parfait (an onion? an ogre? I can never keep that straight). Among the extant strata are some which can act as screens, for lack of a better term. The ones we use are somewhat like a high-pass filter in electronics.

In simple electronics terms, a capacitor (which can be as simple as two surfaces separated by an air-gap) becomes increasingly transparent (impedance goes towards zero) as frequency increases so it can be employed either to shunt high-frequency signals to ground (a low-pass filter which only allows low-frequency signals to pass through) or to allow only high-frequency signals to reach the "load" (a high-pass filter) -- depending on where the capacitor is placed in the circuit.

In Stillness-Movement, we find these existing screens can be useful for protection against a number of unwelcomed influences, including things like hostility, and stagnant energy displaced during a healing session, and viruses encountered in a crowd to name a few.

Some practitioners discover that these screens (collectively referred to as a "shield" for convenience) require no significant energy to reinforce and can be activated instantaneously if not sooner. ;)

These are not blocks, however, and are not impenetrable. They are quite useful and quite effective, though -- and they are somehow selective. The high-frequency healing energy we use passes right through (which is why I referred to this as analogous to a high-pass filter) but there is an "intent" aspect to them as well which allows them to pass sound, for instance.

A humorous anecdote -- when learning about this process and a few times since when I have undergone energetic transitions, I have inadvertently over-shielded. The first time, I was at a restaurant with a large family gathering. There were about two dozen of us in a side room where they had pulled several tables together and we had a couple of wait-staff serving us. My siblings soon noticed (although not yet aware that I had begun practicing "some woo-woo hippie stuff") that the waitresses kept skipping me. Take everyone's drink order except me -- oops! Take mine. Bring everyone their drinks except me -- oops! Get mine. Wait! Why don't you have silverware? Like that. I had effectively made myself invisible. Dial that puppy back a little...

This past Winter, I underwent an energetic expansion of sorts and found that I was "invisible" again -- this time, it was the energy-saving sensors on light switches which didn't "see" me. Lasted all day. Walk into a room, nothing. Wave my hand in front of the sensor, nothing. Someone else walks in and the lights come on.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 8

Thanks, all. I'm playing with these. So far:

Jeff's: No method given. Believe that there are greater beings and they are usually nonviolent. If you put up a shield, it will be practically useless as they can see over, around, and/or through it.

Shielding will be more helpful against inferior beings.

For assistance with superior negative beings, seek the help of a master and he/she might take you into their bubble and fight them with you.

Taomeow's: A wide variety of practical methods. Thinking about the boxes of things in storage and all of the photos with faces in the house, had to do some house cleaning. When my wife found me in the back yard burning entity infested items, it seemed that the negs departed the items and took up residence in her. We're going to need more salt.

Apech's: Sweet visual/feeling of a Sri-Yantra like fractal emanating from the heart space and surrounding all forms. No noticeable edges or boundaries. Doesn't this have the potential to not only form into shields, but all kinds of things?

With your description and use of "inferior" beings, I think I may have created some confusion with my shooting analogy. Other than trying to explain potential issues of how shield may be ineffective, with the shooting example, I was talking about the level of the energy itself.

As an example, you may be 6' tall, but if you are raditating (or shooting) anger at someone, that would be shooting from like a 3' height. In general, levels of "refinement" of energy is probably better than any concept of beings being superior or inferior.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK, Psychic Defense 101.

You're in a restaurant. Or at a movie. Or in chat.

You start to feel... maybe... targeted.... or... influenced.... or just weird....

What, specifically, do you do?

How do you train that skill up? (Should you feel the need.)

Brian, I really like your approach...

but how do you do it?

Anybody...

What is the doing of psychic defense?

Or... actually...not doing maybe.  :D 

• Like 1

Let it flow through.

If it sticks reside with the energy to release the issue it is hitting. The residing also focuses the mind on the energy and not the mind story.

OK, Psychic Defense 101.

You're in a restaurant. Or at a movie. Or in chat.

You start to feel... maybe... targeted.... or... influenced.... or just weird....

What, specifically, do you do?

How do you train that skill up? (Should you feel the need.)

Brian, I really like your approach...

but how do you do it?

Anybody...

What is the doing of psychic defense?

Or... actually...not doing maybe.  :D 

Intent is the tool for manipulating subtle energies. Use your intent to shape whatever you need. That's the bare bones of it....there is more. 

• Like 3