Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Standing Meditation

I would like to gradually add standing meditation back into my practice.

My feeling is Kunlun by itself for an hour a day is probably enough but I enjoy standing(It has actually been my favorite practice for years).

I had difficulty standing at all since getting transmission from Sifu Max because the energy running in my system was so high. I would basically stand for a few seconds and then my hands would start flying about like in Kunlun.

Max teaches a 5 element standing system. Each of the 5 elments are represented with a posture. You can also do all 5 postures in a more flowing style together rather than hold each one.

I think I heard Max say in the old days Mao Shan Masters would hold each posture for an hour. So 5 hours of standing meditation a day. Pretty intense.

Chris mentioned that 5 minutes each was good. So that would add up to a 25 minute standing meditation workout.

Also, was wondering. The main standing meditation posture that I learned from Ken Cohen was the "embrace the tree" posture. Max's 5 elements doesn't include embrace the tree.

Ken says the foundation of qigong training is to hold embrace the tree for 20-40 minutes a day. Probably would also be a good practice for anyone who has trouble grounding from Red Phoenix or even just grounding in general.

Does anyone know which "element" embrace the tree develops? After playing with Max's 5 I still think embrace the tree is my favorite standing position. Has anyone heard any Yiquan teachers speak of this posture connencted with any of the 5 elements?

From my experience, Yiquan teachers mostly treat this practice as a form of "standing zen" and don't talk about elements along with it. Though Ken Cohen does teach 5 element meditations where you visualize light from the elements filling your organs but more as a sitting visualization practice.

If Mantra or anyone knows where embrace the tree or even just basic horse stance(legs wider than shoulder width) fits into Max's system.

Thanks.

I would like to gradually add standing meditation back into my practice.

My feeling is Kunlun by itself for an hour a day is probably enough but I enjoy standing(It has actually been my favorite practice for years).

I had difficulty standing at all since getting transmission from Sifu Max because the energy running in my system was so high. I would basically stand for a few seconds and then my hands would start flying about like in Kunlun.

Max teaches a 5 element standing system. Each of the 5 elments are represented with a posture. You can also do all 5 postures in a more flowing style together rather than hold each one.

I think I heard Max say in the old days Mao Shan Masters would hold each posture for an hour. So 5 hours of standing meditation a day. Pretty intense.

Chris mentioned that 5 minutes each was good. So that would add up to a 25 minute standing meditation workout.

Also, was wondering. The main standing meditation posture that I learned from Ken Cohen was the "embrace the tree" posture. Max's 5 elements doesn't include embrace the tree.

Ken says the foundation of qigong training is to hold embrace the tree for 20-40 minutes a day. Probably would also be a good practice for anyone who has trouble grounding from Red Phoenix or even just grounding in general.

Does anyone know which "element" embrace the tree develops? After playing with Max's 5 I still think embrace the tree is my favorite standing position. Has anyone heard any Yiquan teachers speak of this posture connencted with any of the 5 elements?

From my experience, Yiquan teachers mostly treat this practice as a form of "standing zen" and don't talk about elements along with it. Though Ken Cohen does teach 5 element meditations where you visualize light from the elements filling your organs but more as a sitting visualization practice.

If Mantra or anyone knows where embrace the tree or even just basic horse stance(legs wider than shoulder width) fits into Max's system.

Thanks.

What are Max's 5 element positions

Not possible to describe it here. From what I understand they will be included in the 2nd version of Pillars of Bliss coming out next year.

Mantak chia also uses this posture as his Iron Shirt standing med!

Its in alot of arts we call it Yin Jerng (Yin Palms) but combines Yang Chi. BaKua has 8 standing meds for each Kau maybe you can find them in that?

So there is going to be a 2nd edition to the Kunlun Bliss book? If so do you know why it wasnt added in the 1st edition cameron?

WYG

Were those going to be included in the second edition of pillars? When's that coming out, btw?

lol, I shoulda refreshed this page from what I had it open earlier!

Edited by joeblast

Sometime next year. Not sure about the date.

Yes, from my understanding 5 Elements Standing will be included.

What are Max's 5 element positions

I found this: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...w=137&prev=

Does these look like Max's five element standing or is that something completely different?

I dont actually know what this is because Im not a martial artist, but I found in another site that these positions are related to the 5 elements.

Maby someone who recognize these positions can explain?

not the same. The book will be out soon and there's lots of great standing postures out there... I've gotten good results from the basic stances.

I've been meaning to practice the 5 element standing, but haven't been doing it so far. I think once the novelty of Kunlun has worn off a bit, I'll get into it.

Sign in to follow this