Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Physicists discover 'smoke rings' made of laser light

Ah at last, something easier for me to grasp. Is this like a magnetic field Brian. A kind of N/S pole in which the field lines loop back on themselves ? Could the light be producing eddy current polarity along its length ? I noticed the shape and thought of the typical field lines of a magnetic.

Ah at last, something easier for me to grasp. Is this like a magnetic field Brian. A kind of N/S pole in which the field lines loop back on themselves ? Could the light be producing eddy current polarity along its length ? I noticed the shape and thought of the typical field lines of a magnetic.

Something sort of like the toroidal magnetic field which would be generated by an electrical current running through a loop of wire around the beam of light, yes, except it is a torus of light, propagating along the beam at the speed of light while simultaneously rotating back in on itself.

While we've only just discovered them, it seems they're all around us -- as are the "standing" vortices of light discovered earlier and also mentioned in the article.

• Like 1

While theoretical physicists (along with mathematicians) wrestle with how these discoveries modify and integrate into our understanding of "reality," applied physicists will be working (along with engineers) on practical applications.

• Like 1

Notice, BTW, that this doesn't look much like ripples spreading across the surface of a pond or spray of solid particles.

Like an onion (or a parfait or an ogre), we keep peeling back the layers. As Alice discovered, however, things just keep getting curiouser and curiouser.

This doesn't surprise me.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

While theoretical physicists (along with mathematicians) wrestle with how these discoveries modify and integrate into our understanding of "reality," applied physicists will be working (along with engineers) on practical applications.

Such as lightsabers? :D

• Like 1

Something sort of like the toroidal magnetic field which would be generated by an electrical current running through a loop of wire around the beam of light, yes, except it is a torus of light, propagating along the beam at the speed of light while simultaneously rotating back in on itself.

While we've only just discovered them, it seems they're all around us -- as are the "standing" vortices of light discovered earlier and also mentioned in the article.

Nassim Haramein's double torus dynamics has been around for a while...  to say nothing of the Russian research into torsion  fields that went before.  Both are predictive of such phenomena.  Unfortunately, orthodox science has been dismissive of these "pseudosciences" but now they have no choice but to dip a toe therein, now that it's shining in their face.

Torsion fields rock.  :D

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this