Sign in to follow this  
Praeludium

The Dao of the poor

Hello,

if you could advise even just one practice that is very simple (I could say minimal), that costs nothing (ie. does not require formal training, and particularly not formal training for years), and yet that have a lot of depth hidden in itself, what would it be ?

Just asking as a broke-ass student (;

By the way, the great pianist, pedagogue and composer Frederic Chopin used to say that his goal was to give the students a limited numbers of simple tools so that they'd be able to master the unlimited possibilies of the piano.

(more precise source : Chopin, Pianist and Teacher, As Seen by his Pupîls - Jean-Jacques Eigeldinger)

I believe his approach is beautiful, and that's also what attracted me in the DaoDeJing in the first place - it's such as small book !

• Like 6

I would recommend Tai Chi and meditation.  You should be able to find lots of information on both at your school's library.  No cost except for the time you put into it.

• Like 2

Hi,

Meditation is free and it doesn't know of a colour (Buddhism, Taoism, Sufism, Hinduism, Christianity, etc.):

The Walking method is highly effective, simple and very deep, endlessly.

Intro

Video

You can walk as long as you like. Hours non-stop as you wish. Better outdoors, near trees, flowers and running water if you are able to train in such a location.

Good luck :)

• Like 4

I've been practically penniless for a decent part of a long time. It's been in the times of a relative lack of money -- times when I'm less willing to go out and spend frivolously, less happy to lead a life of expense, less inclined to pay people for services even if those services might benefit me -- that I've been more content to sit at home, often alone, and work on things I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise, to teach myself to do something or practice something long forgotten.

In my opinion, meditation can take numerous forms. Cultivating concentration, mindfulness, awareness, and self-awareness can be done through practicing art, exercise, study, or a number of other things -- if you approach them in the right way.

The key, I think, is to focus on the process, not the result. The process is the meditation. Maybe this is the kind of 'simple practice' you ask for. Could be learning to draw, learning a handstand, studying the contents of the DDJ, figuring out a mathematics problem, whatever. Something like learning Tai Chi or a specific meditative technique will require a teacher, but many things do not. And I think it's useful to know how to learn without being led, without relying on a human teacher.

When you are at work, or at school, the tasks you are set always have a goal -- you necessarily focus on a deadline, a grade, a result of some sort. If you're poor, with time alone at home (or outside), you can get lost in a process, using the Dao as your guide.

• Like 7

Inhale love

Exhale gratitude

repeat until the mind quiets, even a bit

then

sit with no expectation

patiently allow all thoughts to come and go as they will

feed nothing, follow nothing

just be

repeat as often as you can

we can meditate for seconds any time of day, at the stop light, on the bus, waiting for the teacher to start a lecture, during the commercial breaks while watching tv...

there is nothing separate, or special about meditation, it's absolutely the most basic and non-complex process to me

• Like 12

To supplement meditation, which can be kinda boring, let me point you to an interesting site.  abardoncompanion.com  Rawn Clark has a couple of free practices there that run pretty deep, lots of hidden depth there..  Like the Archaeous series http://abardoncompanion.com/csm/contents.html, 9 levels that will take a long time and give you some interesting insights.  On the same page is his YHVH, which at first seems like chant, but later on is a canticle that delves into hermetic magic and some healing techniques. 

Not everyones cup of tea, but things like that, which will take years to master, are out there, waiting. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 4

Inhale love

Exhale gratitude

repeat until the mind quiets, even a bit

then

sit with no expectation

patiently allow all thoughts to come and go as they will

feed nothing, follow nothing

just be

repeat as often as you can

we can meditate for seconds any time of day, at the stop light, on the bus, waiting for the teacher to start a lecture, during the commercial breaks while watching tv...

there is nothing separate, or special about meditation, it's absolutely the most basic and non-complex process to me

This should be pinned in every forum... thank you :)

• Like 4

Health wealth and happiness.

By playing music you already have kung fu. Let the beat of the taoist songs dance in your heart forever.

Allow the spirit to move the keys and your life will be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

• Like 3

Hello,

thanks for your answers.

The point that was made about being willing to pay for something leading to better learning seems legit. 

That's about where you draw the line, and we could indeed say that I'm just not willing to make the effort needed to learn more about Daoist practice if I have to take anything away from my music studies right now.

That's more about willing to stay focused than not willing to make any effort.

So, Earl Grey, thank you for your answer but I think I have enough material from the others reply, and for now I don't feel comfortable promising anything since I'm just kind of exploring different things. 

That being said I agree with your process, it's just too serious for me right now (;

I'll do my best to investigate the others suggestions.

About learning from a book, this actually reminded me of the Xing Yi Nei Gong book by Tim Cartmell and Dan Miller.

In it it is suggested that the fundamental posture of San Ti Shi is a form of standing meditation. 

Xing Yi seems to attract me, and I feel the need for more Yang practice in my life, so for now I'll settle on this.

There's a man I know who lives 100 kilometers away who do practices Xing Yi and the much rarer Xin Yi Liu He Quan from a Hui teacher in Henan (he is muslim himslef and very experienced in martial arts), and maybe after a few months of practice I could meet him for a lesson, which wouldn't leave me uncorrected which is the problem I have with learning from book.

So, I think I'll settle for San Ti Shi as the pillar of my amateur sinophile practice now (:

I already did walking meditation (more along the line of Afghan Walking, or actually in my case Systema respiratory walking exercises) but I will add these insights into it.

Music as a path is something I needed to be reminded of.

To just begin something without deadlines and focus on the process seems to be a good idea too. I think physical exercises - which I already do - with a different mindset would be interesting. I think it'll get richer and even more interesting.

I'll try the simple QiGong exercice, seems very simple from the outside but I'm sure you can get a lot of feelings out of it - exactly what I was looking for !

About the practices offered by Rawn Clark, I feel a bit more sceptic. I'm receptive to spiritual and even mystical things in art - as long as it's subjective - although I believe it's best not to talk about it, but I have hard time being receptive to spiritual and mystical practice in the real life or as a path in itself.

That being said, I want to try these with an open mind even if it's just for the sake of intellectual curiosity.

I don't know why it's easier to be open about this kind of practice when they come from the East. Maybe some kind of orientalism ?

Thanks again

• Like 1

I could easily say that music has been my path in life as far back as I can remember.  I'm not a performer though.  I am, however, a good listener.

And besides, music is the one thing, besides economics, that has brought more people together than any other activity conducted by humans.

• Like 4

By all means prioritize your music and studies. Nobody is asking you to sacrifice either to practice Taoist work. What I understood was you said you were broke, not that you were busy. I simply offered like everyone else here an option, which in my case was zhan zhuang or golden flower, or twin hearts meditation. May you enjoy your discovery and studies, friend. Blessings.

I hope you didn't feel my reply was aggressive in any way !

I should have better explained but for me being broke and being busy is pretty much the same thing - if I was studying in something less demanding, it would be so much easier to find a job and hence, money. That's where the choice is (:

Someone has told me to look up working in night shifts though, that might be an answer.

Edited by Praeludium

I'm glad that was clarified.  I viewed the interchange and felt there could easily be a misunderstanding.  That's how many of our disagreements begin.

We all be friends!!!  Yea!!!

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 2

People have already said Zhan Zhuang but none linked to good instructions. You could start out with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07FauHYlmg, a very good youtube series that is free by Lam Kam Chuen who is VERY competent in Zhan Zhuang. 

This practice may look simple but it has a huge depth, you could practice this for your entire life. 

Edit: Added Sun Lu Tangs Xingyi manual since you said you wanted to study Xingyi,

study it thoroughly and you will succeed :) 

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/the-xingyi-manual-of-sun-lutang/

Edited by joti
  • Like 4

Edit: Added Sun Lu Tangs Xingyi manual since you said you wanted to study Xingyi,

study it thoroughly and you will succeed :)

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/the-xingyi-manual-of-sun-lutang/

Actually, the three military stationary positions of "parade rest, at ease, and rest" can achieve the same thing if performed properly and consciously.

• Like 2

Actually, the three military stationary positions of "parade rest, at ease, and rest" can achieve the same thing if performed properly and consciously.

Would love to hear more about this and see some pictures, got any examples?

I'm sure I could find some pictures but let's just talk first.  The three positions:

Parade Rest:  Feet shoulder width apart, legs straight but not locked, hands locked behind the back just above the buttock with right hand over left.

At Ease:  Feet the same as above, legs the same except wiggling is allowed, arms relaxed but mostly just hanging naturally.  Slight body movement is allowed but both feet remain in place.

Rest:  Feet the same as above but the right foot may be moved slightly forward or backward to shift and take pressure off the left leg,  The head, arms may be moved freely to loosen up the entire body.

Important in all three is that you do not lock your knees.  This causes stress and you could pass out if in the Parade Rest position for very long.

(In the military the reason for the left foot remaining in place is that when the formation was called (Fall In!) to attention it is automatic that you "Dress Right" (Align your self with the person/people to your right.) and "Cover Down" (Align your self with the person/people directly to your front.).  That way, when called back to attention you will already be dressed right and covered down.  We wouldn't concern our self with that here though.)

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this