liminal_luke

Losing Members

I´ve noticed something (mildly) disturbing.  Lately, some of our best Bums have been packing up and leaving -- or announcing that they´re considering such a move.  We´ll miss each and every one of them if they do go and stay gone.

I can´t possibly know what´s best for someone else.  (A lesson I´ve been learning bigtime these last few weeks, and a story, perhaps, for another post.)  But I suspect some of those leaving decisions have to do with moderation and administration issues, and about that I´d like to say this: please ignore the men behind the curtain.

Moderators and administrators are human beings that make mistakes just like the rest of us.  Their position of power doesn´t make them better than you.  (Something you may have noticed.)  They do their best, I think, but the way this board runs -- far from perfect.  People are sometimes chastisted, suspended, or even banned who maybe shouldn´t be.  Some posts are mysteriously "disappeared" when they shouldn´t be, while other posts -- posts that arguably should be taken down -- continue to hobble on into cyber-eternity.

Well, you know, so what.  All I can say is, good thing we don´t have the death penalty.  What makes Daobums a great place isn´t the pitch perfect administration, it´s the quality of the postings by the rank and file.  For the most part there´s a lot of great conversation happening here.  Questions get asked and expertly answered.  Conviviality happens.  Perhaps you´ve been unfairly dissed by the powers that be?  Please don´t let that injustice keep you from adding your unique voice to this imperfect yet wonderful place that is TheDaoBums.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 9

I´ve noticed something (mildly) disturbing.  Lately, some of our best Bums have been packing up and leaving -- or announcing that they´re considering such a move.  We´ll miss each and every one of them if they do go and stay gone.

I can´t possibly know what´s best for someone else.  (A lesson I´ve been learning bigtime these last few weeks, and a story for another post.)  But I suspect some of those leaving decisions have to do with moderation and administration issues, and about that I´d like to say this: please ignore the men behind the curtain.

Moderators and administrators and human beings that make mistakes just like the rest of us.  They do their best, I think, but the way this board runs -- far from perfect.  People are sometimes chastisted, suspended, or even banned who maybe shouldn´t be.  Some posts are mysteriously "disappeared" when they shouldn´t be, while other posts, posts that arguably should be taken down, continue to hobble on into cyber-eternity.

Well, you know, so what.  All I can say is, good thing we don´t have the death penalty.  What makes Daobums a great place is the quality of the postings by rank and file membership.  For the most part there´s a lot of great conversation happening here.  Questions get asked and expertly answered.  Conviviality happens.  Perhaps you´ve been unfairly dissed by the powers that be?  Please don´t let that injustice keep you from adding your unique voice to this imperfect yet wonderful place that is TheDaoBums.

If you care to read the Hillary/Trump thread and the 2016 Election thread which is revealing as to the attitudes of certain members here. One recent post alludes to violence i.e, veiled.

• Like 1

luke, agree. On both sides of that 'curtain', there are enough good intentions to pave 10 roads to hell. Everybody just needs to chill the fuck out.

Perpetual IMO applied. (-:

• Like 7

A lot of people don't like Donald Trump, as he represents the worst of what America has to offer. But my experience is that he is simply an external manifestation of cultural blockages that the U.S. is working through. 

Whenever there is drama on TTBs i see it in that same light. Drama is a manifestation of blockages that were are struggling to process. Keeping up ones cultivation and looking deep within to see what subtle energies are causing this obstruction in the flow and cleansing ourselves of them is key. 

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 9

If you care to read the Hillary/Trump thread and the 2016 Election thread which is revealing as to the attitudes of certain members here. One recent post alludes to violence i.e, veiled.

Ralis,

I think you and I are pretty aligned as far as our views about many social issues and politics.  And yes, I´ve read some of those threads and often shake my head and wonder what people could possibly be thinking.  I haven´t read the recent post you´re referring to about veiled violence, but I believe it.  

If you leave over protest because of these things, I´d certainly understand.  I just hope, selfishly, that you don´t.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

A lot of people don't like Donald Trump, as he represents the worst of what America has to offer. But my experience is that he is simply an external manifestation of cultural blockages that the U.S. is working through. 

Whenever there is drama on TTBs i see it in that same light. Drama is a manifestation of blockages that were are struggling to process. Keeping up ones cultivation and looking deep within to see what subtle energies are causing this obstruction in the flow and cleansing ourselves of them is key. 

One may view it as some internal process/cultivation problem, but I seriously doubt that will solve generational, psychological or cultural problems. Psychological problems are rarely solved by energetic processes in that such work generally compounds the problem. I would refer to Ken Wilber's work as well as many others.

Ralis,

I think you and I are pretty aligned as far as our views about many social issues and politics.  And yes, I´ve read some of those threads and often shake my head and wonder what people could possibly be thinking.  I haven´t read the recent post you´re referring to about veiled violence, but I believe it.  

If you leave over protest because of these things, I´d certainly understand.  I just hope, selfishly, that you don´t.

Liminal

In order for me to stay, the so called rules must be enforced in an even manner. Why have any if not enforced?

Karl's comments toward Hillary this morning would have resulted in an immediate suspension several years ago. However, he was given the chance to edit.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

yes, why have cops, when they selectively enforce the law; why have judges, when they will arbitrarily sentence according to their whims and convictions; why have politicians, when they will represent their largest contributors, at the expense of the people not in the picture; why have banks, when they can legally counterfeit the money and devalue it and there's not a damned thing we can do about it?

• Like 3

In order for me to stay, the so called rules must be enforced in an even manner. Why have any if not enforced?

Nearly choked on my goddamn coffee ;-)

Ralis,

Liminal

It's bad enough reading into things you haven't read, never mind those you haven't.

It's bad enough reading into things you haven't read, never mind those you haven't.

Are you psychic in that you post the pretense that you know what I have read.

Karl's comments toward Hillary this morning would have resulted in an immediate suspension several years ago. However, he was given the chance to edit.

Not Trump though ? I notice your distinct bias here of which you appear unaware or for which you hold an agenda.

Ah, I´m afraid I´m the guilty party here Ralis.  I admitted that I hadn´t read the post which you said alluded to violence but nevertheless believed what you said -- about the veiled violence, I mean.  At the time, I didn´t know it was a post from Karl.  So, please, no offense Karl.  I just tend to trust Ralis´s point of view about these matters is all.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

"There are those like Norfolk who follow me because I wear the crown; and those like Master Cromwell who follow me because they are jackals with sharp teeth and I'm their tiger; there's a mass that follows me because it follows anything that moves. And then there's you..."

A Man for All Seasons :) 

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

You always think it's about you, you you :-) you cannot imagine quite how much gut wrenching laughter you have infected me with this beautiful afternoon. Anyway, though you know it or not, I thank you for the mirth.

Ah, I´m afraid I´m the guilty party here Ralis.  I admitted that I hadn´t read the post which you said alluded to violence but nevertheless believed what you said about the veiled violence.  At the time, I didn´t know it was a post from Karl.  So, please, no offense Karl.  I just tend to trust Ralis´s point of view about these matters is all.

Actually it wasn't Karl's post. Will post it here in a moment.

• Like 2

Ah, I´m afraid I´m the guilty party here Ralis.  I admitted that I hadn´t read the post which you said alluded to violence but nevertheless believed what you said -- about the veiled violence, I mean.  At the time, I didn´t know it was a post from Karl.  So, please, no offense Karl.  I just tend to trust Ralis´s point of view about these matters is all.

That 'trusting' thing might not be the best course of action LD. No offence taken.

• Like 1

Actually it wasn't Karl's post. Will post it here in a moment.

I'm going to send you my hospital bill for the busted gut. :-)

Here it is. Notice the code words which are not overt. Cankles refers to Hillary and the rest is obvious.

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/38913-2016-us-election/page-98#entry706073

Here it is. Notice the code words which are not overt. Cankles refers to Hillary and the rest is obvious.

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/38913-2016-us-election/page-98#entry706073

Ah OK, I see what you mean.  Saying Hillary should be lynched  -- inflammatory language worthy of Trump himself. But I´d give JB the benefit of the doubt: I think he was expressing himself forcefully and with color..  From his other writings, I gather that he thinks Hillary ought to be imprisoned.  Perhaps he thinks she deserves the death penalty as well.  But to me that´s different from saying somebody should assisinate her.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

ralis always loves my colorful choice of verbiage, maybe its just that little bit of trump in me that loves to say something obvious but politically incorrect and then sit back and laugh at the shock value of it all :lol:

I suppose some here would view Jefferson's statement about the tree of liberty as a threat warranting administrative action, too -- but only when aimed at "the good ruling elite."

• Like 1

I suppose some here would view Jefferson's statement about the tree of liberty as a threat warranting administrative action, too -- but only when aimed at "the good ruling elite."

In referring to so called free speech, one must choose one's words wisely so as to understand the far reaching ramifications of.

The Dao Bums has actually and fortunately several areas. We can choose to read or to ignore specific threads and when can choose to react or not to those we read.

I have read some threads and choose not to react and in most cases not to read them anymore. Specifically, there are threads (like those related to politics, but not just them) where people argue endlessly out of ideological biases, some other threads are just 'screwed up' (sorry I don't know how to say it properly) by people who post for the only sake of attacking others. And this pattern is repeating itself threads after threads, and that seems to be just fine for those people.

So why not post out of good will and sympathy for others, to give this forum a chance to be a place where we can listen to others and share and learn, despite of the evil that is going on here in the same way it goes in the real world?

We can't absolutely rely on any admin, mod or anyone to enforce rules. Everyone has biases. They may even do things that should earn them a ban but still stay on charge. That's the same in the real world.

But those who care can make an individual effort to cultivate goodness and apply it in our posting and when it appears that evil is dominant and overwhelming report to the mods without hoping too much and move on to another thread.

Edited to add ' but still stay on charge' and to correct a minor typo

Edited by smallsteps
  • Like 3