Sign in to follow this  
Michael Sternbach

Farewell Viator

Long term member and former Admin Viator has informed me that he left this site. He made the decision in the wake of the recent events involving Dawei, Apech and me.

I met Viator early on in my time as moderator here, while he was deputizing for Admin. After that, I still occassionally enjoyed his generously offered advice and support and appreciated his unwavering clarity and integrity.

No doubt, some older members will remember Viator from his more active years here. I therefore found it appropriate that the community be informed about his departure. Likewise, I will see to it that this thread will be made known to him.

So long, Viator! May you be travelling on in peace and contentment, as you are treading your path with steadfastness.

161hvkk.jpg

• Like 5

Long term member and former Admin Viator has informed me that he left this site. He made the decision in the wake of the recent events involving Dawei, Apech and me.

I met Viator early on in my time as moderator here, while he was deputizing for Admin. After that, I still occassionally enjoyed his generously offered advice and support and appreciated his unwavering clarity and integrity.

No doubt, some older members will remember Viator from his more active years here. I therefore found it appropriate that the community be informed about his departure. Likewise, I will see to it that this thread will be made known to him.

So long, Viator! May you be travelling on in peace and contentment, as you are treading your path with steadfastness.

161hvkk.jpg

I understand why he left and I may follow suit. Although I am not privy to the exact nature of this particular situation, there are  misogynist, objectivist, conspiracy posts and the occasional racist comments in the name of so called free speech, that are diametrically opposed to the real spirit of this site.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 4

I understand why he left and I may follow suit. Although I am not privy to the exact nature of this particular situation, there are  misogynist, objectivist, conspiracy posts and the occasional racist comments in the name of so called free speech, that are diametrically opposed to the real spirit of this site.

But if you leave then there will be one less voice to combat what you feel is wrong or inappropriate.

Opinions and understandings that are being presented here happen all the time in the "real world".  If no one critically questions what others say then what was said may easily be taken as truth.

You have friends here Ralis.  Can leaving be justified just because of a few things happening that you don't approve of?

Changes are made by those who speak up, not by those who say nothing or turn our back on what is happening that we don't approve of.

• Like 10

But if you leave then there will be one less voice to combat what you feel is wrong or inappropriate.

Opinions and understandings that are being presented here happen all the time in the "real world".  If no one critically questions what others say then what was said may easily be taken as truth.

You have friends here Ralis.  Can leaving be justified just because of a few things happening that you don't approve of?

Changes are made by those who speak up, not by those who say nothing or turn our back on what is happening that we don't approve of.

I repeat this. Every community needs people's good will and sense of justice. We can't just leave.

My 2 cts.

• Like 3

Viator, I am so sorry to hear this.  Although you have stayed very much in the background for some time, I remember back when you were admin. Those were VERY difficult times (maybe like these) and I was astonished at the balance and integrity you displayed in your responses to inflammatory statements and even direct attacks. Maybe you remember me telling you that way back then.

You set a new standard. Your evenness made me examine my own reactivity. You steadied the wheel during some very rough storms, and current events may well remind you of those times. Things do run in cycles.

But it is actually a spiral. And the spiral is UP.  

Your example made TDB a better place.

We will miss your steady hand.

Journey well, journey safe, and, truly thank you for your service.
  • Like 7

If Viator wanted to announce to the world he was leaving he would have done so in his own way and time. Shame on you MS; it was not your place to do this. You dont get to decide others' choices.

Peace out.

• Like 4

Viator was and is such a lovely chap. Many thanks for his knowledge, presence and service. Unfortunately i do detect an undercurrent of sour apples in this posting.  -_-

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 6

If Viator wanted to announce to the world he was leaving he would have done so in his own way and time. Shame on you MS; it was not your place to do this. You dont get to decide others' choices.

Peace out.

Viator emailed me this morning to say he did not ask for any attention to his departure.

I think we need to respect how members come and go.

• Like 8