Sign in to follow this  
9th

SETI has observed a “strong” signal that may originate from a Sun-like star

It remains only the barest of probabilities that astronomers have just found evidence of extraterrestrial, intelligent life. Nevertheless, in the community of astronomers and other scientists who use radio telescopes to search the heavens for beacons of life there is considerable excitement about a new signal observed by a facility in Russia.

According to Paul Gilster, author of the Centauri Dreams website, the Italian astronomer Claudio Maccone and other astronomers affiliated with the search for extraterrestrial intelligence have detected "a strong signal in the direction of HD164595." HD 164595 is a star of 0.99 solar masses about 95 light years from Earth, with an estimated age of 6.3 billion years. The system is known to have at least one planet, HD 164595 b, which is similar in size to Neptune and orbits its star in 40 days. Other planets may exist in the system as well.

• Like 4

Basically the article says:

"This signal is extremely unlikely to be anything to do with aliens, and is probably terrestrial communication on an unsual frequency. BUTTT... if you're desperately longing to find evidence of intelligent life elsewhere in the cosmic neighbourhood.....Nope, sorry, it's still not aliens."

Reminds me of the hype they span for the star that could be signs of aliens harnessing the power of a star.....OR....it might be a cloud of gas/comets/other space shit we haven't observed yet just blocking our view.

• Like 2

I always wondered why SETI was looking for radio communications/signals, when highly advanced species would probably be using other forms of technology instead.  Are they looking for other species at our same level of technological advancement?  Doesnt seem that exciting.  No UFOs and all that.

Seems like SETI makes announcements like this every few years or so - and if you are skeptical and cynical enough you might think its purely an attempt for grabbing continued funding and public interest.

• Like 1

I always wondered why SETI was looking for radio communications/signals, when highly advanced species would probably be using other forms of technology instead. Are they looking for other species at our same level of technological advancement? Doesnt seem that exciting. No UFOs and all that.

Seems like SETI makes announcements like this every few years or so - and if you are skeptical and cynical enough you might think its purely an attempt for grabbing continued funding and public interest.

Exactly - funding! As for why they look for radiowaves, it's a likely step towards better communication that most intelligent species may stumble upon. By the time they've traveled far enough for us to detect, the beings that made them could already be extinct. Still, I'm right there with you and most people that want to know - are we the only glitch in the matrix?

Wife and son and I spent a good portion of today hanging out near the thermal geyser system in Yellowstone.

The rampant presence of life around the vents, the massive colonies of bacteria and thermophiles had us contemplating the likelihood of life in other places and brought me back to a quote about alien life that has always resonated.

"if we are the only life in the universe... it seems like a colossal waste of space."

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing this, 9th.

The subject of life on other planets is fascinating.

Edited by roger

Spirits "without bodies" abound all around us - as alien and unique and wonderful as can be imagined and many have been well penned in numerous books. Fairies at work and play - is an excellent book containing quite a few of them.

"Aliens" (from other worlds) clearly exist and have been amongst us for a very long time.

This is all verifiable - you all have the capability to foster these eyes and ears. No belief is necessary - in fact you can be a sceptic until the last drop - but it does take due diligence.

• Like 5

Spirits "without bodies" abound all around us - as alien and unique and wonderful as can be imagined and many have been well penned in numerous books. Fairies at work and play - is an excellent book containing quite a few of them.

"Aliens" (from other worlds) clearly exist and have been amongst us for a very long time.

This is all verifiable - you all have the capability to foster these eyes and ears. No belief is necessary - in fact you can be a sceptic until the last drop - but it does take due diligence.

Any thoughts on Carlos Castaneda's work?

Sounds very interesting. Please tell more - how to foster such eyes and ears?

Sounds very interesting. Please tell more - how to foster such eyes and ears?

You needn't play like a coy jackass - be the open jackass that you are:

Quote from Lauging Blade:

"It's really really simply not OK, not reasonable, not correct, to assert that people know. Stop living in la-la-land and provide some proof, or some reliable path to verification. Mate I've been on this kick for 40 years - the proof just isn't there objectively, and of the practices that folk say get you such insight none of them work reliably except oddly enough for the cult leader."

You apparently want to parade your failings around here like a peacock in all his puffery - have at it - jack away.

Some of us are tired of the positioning.

DullBlade quote from "life after death"

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

You needn't play like a coy jackass - be the open jackass that you are:

Quote from Lauging Blade:

"It's really really simply not OK, not reasonable, not correct, to assert that people know. Stop living in la-la-land and provide some proof, or some reliable path to verification. Mate I've been on this kick for 40 years - the proof just isn't there objectively, and of the practices that folk say get you such insight none of them work reliably except oddly enough for the cult leader."

You apparently want to parade your failings around here like a peacock in all his puffery - have at it - jack away.

Some of us are tired of the positioning.

DullBlade quote from "life after death"

So you've got nothing but insults? Is this your awakening? Is this what you teach?

TBH I thought I'd take a different approach, and you did say I could be a sceptic until the last drop. Still, per the quote you kindly included: show us the proof, or a methodology. Should be easy if you know.

Edited by laughingblade

Sign in to follow this