Sign in to follow this  
kathrynwyles

Weird balance

OK, so I'm quite new to meditation. I'm struggling a bit to say the least, but that's OK, I realise that I have to persist to get anywhere with it.

My problem (if you can call it that) at the moment is that when I meditate I feel seriously off balance. My right side (which is dominant) is much heavier than my left side. It feels quite uncomfortable sometimes, almost like I'm going to topple over.

Anybody got any suggestions as why this might be, or how I might be able to change it?

Thanks!

OK, so I'm quite new to meditation. I'm struggling a bit to say the least, but that's OK, I realise that I have to persist to get anywhere with it.

My problem (if you can call it that) at the moment is that when I meditate I feel seriously off balance. My right side (which is dominant) is much heavier than my left side. It feels quite uncomfortable sometimes, almost like I'm going to topple over.

Anybody got any suggestions as why this might be, or how I might be able to change it?

Thanks!

Kathryn,

I would bring more of a sense of letting go into the meditation process, let go of the struggle and settle into and accept the uncomfortable feeling. I have had this experience as well but it goes away as all experiences do.

Are you doing energy types of meditation or emptiness practice?

Most strange feelings during meditation, particularly in the begining are simply a consequence of become aware of your physical self at a level you've probably not experienced before. Rarely does anything need to be done beyond simply being with the feeling. Most things pass. I often find that "leaning into" the feeling from an experiential point of view (not physically) helps it to dissipate. Resistance tends to make it stronger. That said, how are you sitting physically?

Thanks for your replies.

I sit on a meditation stool that was given to me, with my legs tucked underneath and knees on a pillow. I find this much more comfortable than sitting on the floor cross legged or in a chair.

As for the actual practice, I'm currently practicing with mantra meditation (internally that is, I get distracted by saying it out loud) and also just concentrating on breathing.

The bench you describe tends to be fairly stable for most people. I've tried a variety of postures and the one that suits me best is sitting on a padded piano bench!

I would keep practicing, try just to be with the feelings you're noticing without concern or alarm and see what happens in a week or two.

You can try a Patti Cake method of balancing before meditation. With your left hand clap your right shoulder twice. Then right hand clapping left shoulder twice. Repeat a few times.

Then left hand claps just above right knee twice. Then right hand claps left knee. Repeat a few times.

Finally left hand reaches behind you and taps your raised right ankle twice. Then the other side. Repeat a few times.

This helps balance the body and the right left brain. You can experiment w/ clapping fairly hard on the shoulders and knees, it helps release tension. keep the clapping hand relaxed.

Another physical trick is tottering a little left and right a few times, increasingly slower til you find a good center point. Then doing the same front to back until you feel just centered. Having an experienced meditator or a (yoga,taichi,aikido,feldenkrais...) person look at your posture while meditating is a good idea. Often people don't keep there backs straight enough (my lower back always tends to slouch).

Yours

Michael

You can try a Patti Cake method of balancing before meditation. With your left hand clap your right shoulder twice. Then right hand clapping left shoulder twice. Repeat a few times.

Then left hand claps just above right knee twice. Then right hand claps left knee. Repeat a few times.

Finally left hand reaches behind you and taps your raised right ankle twice. Then the other side. Repeat a few times.

This helps balance the body and the right left brain. You can experiment w/ clapping fairly hard on the shoulders and knees, it helps release tension. keep the clapping hand relaxed.

Another physical trick is tottering a little left and right a few times, increasingly slower til you find a good center point. Then doing the same front to back until you feel just centered. Having an experienced meditator or a (yoga,taichi,aikido,feldenkrais...) person look at your posture while meditating is a good idea. Often people don't keep there backs straight enough (my lower back always tends to slouch).

Yours

Michael

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give this a go next time I meditate =)

Stand in meditation with your feet togther eyes closed and it will rebalance you. You will notice you will sway alot but when standing check your posture and balance sometimes people place more weight on different legs and all it is is a simple check your posture.

Simple excerise but powerful!

I've read in a few different places that clapping the yongquan is good for both closedown and overall health, strengthens the kidneys.

Sign in to follow this