Sign in to follow this  
Prasanna

What is the necessary prerequisite for taking to spiritual path / pursuit?

Can everyone pursue spirituality? Are there any specific qualifications to take to spiritual pursuit?

This question may arise for any person irrespective of whether they want to take up the spiritual pursuit in life or not. The truth is anybody can take to spiritual path irrespective of their present condition and past life, provided they are interested in spiritual path. Everybody who have a sincere seeking to know the truth and Realities of life can take to spiritual pursuit. Normally, if a person has gone through some minimal experience of life, like having led a life up to his early adulthood can take to spirituality. This is because one should be equipped with sufficient personal experience of worldly life to be able to compare and conclude on the merits and demerits, pros and cons of worldly living, so that it is easy to learn the spiritual lessons. It is interest, inclination, and inspiration that matters than anything else to take to the spiritual path.

• Like 5

the idea of a "spiritual pursuit" could be a very loaded pursuit*...thus its further definition could be talked about.

I'd add a partial requirement per the general context of the o.p.'s question of the need for some honesty to one's self and others.   

(* being that you are probably talking about and or coming from a "right handed' type of or traditional and orthodox swami or householder Vedic based yogic path.  (and not just westernized yoga for physical health) 

Edited by 3bob

I agree that anyone can walk a spiritual path, and I think there's a few rules of thumb that one must follow if they're to succeed.

3bob's suggestion that honesty, mainly self-honesty, is necessary, is right on imo.

There has to be a fundamental integrity, a love, an honesty, or the individual will miss the point of "spirituality" and won't truly succeed.

I just think that it's possible to have a foundation of integrity in life that is necessary for people whether they're interested in spiritual matters or not.

But when it comes to spirituality, it's a must imo.

This basic integrity is important but not absolutely necessary for other life paths. For example, if one is a professional musician, having a strong value system would be helpful, but not of utmost importance.

• Like 2

Everyone is already on a spiritual path - every rock in the garden and even the plastic plants.

Say hello to everything you touch - whether it is with your eyes, ears or hands - nothing is not alive.

Nothing is less you than you it.

In the duality of obscured Presence "a spiritual path" is constantly glimmering somewhere here and there - whether it comes nearer to us in great pain and suffering or in a momentary glimpse of something beyond the noise. Nothing in our hopes and desires is not heard - and no barrier is not built from our resistance.

• Like 7

A pulse.

Not rocks. The best a rock might hope for is to be on the garden path. And nobody wants to be led there.

Plastic plants were real plants once you know. How's that for evolution?

Spotless, your last post sounds kind of profound and also kind of non-relatable...at least for some of us common folk that are dealing with duality and which is our starting point.  

a prerequisite of and for a certain context related to a spiritual path was used by Mr. O in the title of his book, "In Search of the Miraculous"... in other words everyone is more or less searching unless their ego is so self-satisfied and self-justified that it becomes frozen or crystallized in such a state with its only search then being devolved and devoted to further such a state.    edit: but even then karma is not denied and dharma will work its way.

Edited by 3bob

I'd say it depends on the level of involvement.  Anyone can dip a toe in the river.  Not everyone can be Martin Strel, aka the "The Fish Man," a 52-year-old Slovenian who successfully completed a 66 days swim down the Amazon River -- 3,272 miles (5,268 kilometers) -- despite (as the source put it) exhaustion, sunburn, delirium and piranhas. 

The difference between different folks' levels of involvement with "spirituality" can be of similar magnitude.

Shamanic cultures maintained that ultimately it's the spirits who decide whose company they're interested in, and ignore those who...  well, despite the title of a current (different) thread somewhere on this forum, I'm not a spirit, so I don't know on what basis they might ignore a supplicant.  One would have to ask one of them.  :)

Everyone is part physical and part spirit. The physical part comprises of the organs of action, organs of perception, internal organs and the very many inner systems that sustain life. The spirit part may be further divided into mental layer, then the more subtle Intellectual layer, then the bliss sheath which is more subtler than the intellectual layer and then the ultimate spirit or god or Supreme Self which is the subtlest enlivening principle within the core of the being. The more subtler the layer, it is more pervasive over the grosser layer and has more control over the subtler layers. 

It is natural that only few people are considered worthy of pursuing spiritual education because only few would be prepared mentally to take up spiritual pursuits. Like any other subject of study like science or mathematics, spirituality too needs certain preparation before someone takes to spiritual pursuit. A minimal experience to understand or distinguish the pros and cons of worldly life, a honest seeking to find out the truth and realities behind human life, a certain amount of devotion, gratitude and surrender to the wise, noble and spiritually evolved people who are the true benefactors unlike the superficial, gross and physical friendships which only follows wealth or power or name or fame or position, luxury, comfort, etc. In Sanskrit language, we use a term Adhikaari to refer to those who are qualified with qualities essential for spiritual pursuit. A spiritual master must only share his wisdom to such Adhikaaris and not to every Tom, dick and Harry who he sees or meets. The general caution in the scripture is "Do not disturb the Minds of the ignorant". "Do not share the spiritual wisdom to disbelievers and those who cavil spirituality and religion. 

Edited by Prasanna
  • Like 1

Prasanna, parts of what you said above sounds like an example of spiritual elitism.... Siva has no limits to his reach in helping jiva or a Tom, Dick and Harry, or a Jane, Sally and Sue that he is also within.  Btw, the corruption of the laws of Manu is another example of spiritual elitism and was not of the original intent to lord it over others of so called lesser caste.  There is no where - where Siva is not, if we can see that then we can see the whole truth.   

Edited by 3bob

I have much thought on some of your statements, Prasanna. I am going to chew on them for a while before I comment further, but my thinking is much like 3bob's. 

I leave you with this question...  How will they know, if we do not share knowledge?

• Like 1

I'm borrowing part of what you said Kar3n -  how will they know if we or Sat Guru do not share love, for love not shared is not love at all.

• Like 1

Count me among those who believe that everybody alive is on a spiritual path, though most stumble along somewhat mindlessly..  (The dead likely have their own spiritual journey though I can´t speak to that -- yet.)  I´m not an advanced practitioner so I won´t mention the usual business about overcoming ego, non-dual awareness, and levitation.  Plenty of threads on those subjects already.  Instead, here are some signposts along the beginning of the spiritual path that will likely be familiar to most.

(1) Fighting with parents, children, or significant other.

(2) Getting sick

(3) Struggles with money and employment

(4)  Inner conflicts around sex and food

(5) Feeling emotionally triggered by fools on internet forums.

Experienced any of these?  If so, congratulations and welcome to the spiritual path.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

Can everyone pursue spirituality?

Are there any specific qualifications to take to spiritual pursuit?

Yes

Yes - a genuine interest

My opinion

• Like 5

Everyone is part physical and part spirit.

And therein lies the answer...

Our birth to the physical is not a perquisite (in case some thought that) but is evidence of the continuation of the spiritual path.   

How far you get each lifetime is part of the journey... that you follow some path each time is part of the spirit.

• Like 1

Can everyone pursue spirituality? Are there any specific qualifications to take to spiritual pursuit?

This question may arise for any person irrespective of whether they want to take up the spiritual pursuit in life or not. The truth is anybody can take to spiritual path irrespective of their present condition and past life, provided they are interested in spiritual path. Everybody who have a sincere seeking to know the truth and Realities of life can take to spiritual pursuit. Normally, if a person has gone through some minimal experience of life, like having led a life up to his early adulthood can take to spirituality. This is because one should be equipped with sufficient personal experience of worldly life to be able to compare and conclude on the merits and demerits, pros and cons of worldly living, so that it is easy to learn the spiritual lessons. It is interest, inclination, and inspiration that matters than anything else to take to the spiritual path.

To begin the path, the only requirement I would list would be curiosity.

To remain on the path however is to me the real issue and for that you must be willing to endure the systematic stripping away of all preconceived notions and programmed beliefs.

The spiritual path is far from comfortable and reassuring. I have found it to be often the opposite. To me though, it sure beats the alternative.

Peace

edit to add this quote: 

We must want the actual truth, more than we want the truth that we imagine.  ~Adyashanti

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 5

Maybe the only thing necessary to walk any particular path is the will to do so.

If you don't want to you won't; if you do, you will.

Succeeding on a given path is another matter, and usually requires sincere devotion and commitment.

• Like 1

there is no lasting rest or satisfaction as solid as the Self, until that return we go ever which way in search of what is right under our noses but seemingly thousands of light years away...

Everyone is part physical and part spirit. The physical part comprises of the organs of action, organs of perception, internal organs and the very many inner systems that sustain life. The spirit part may be further divided into mental layer, then the more subtle Intellectual layer, then the bliss sheath which is more subtler than the intellectual layer and then the ultimate spirit or god or Supreme Self which is the subtlest enlivening principle within the core of the being. The more subtler the layer, it is more pervasive over the grosser layer and has more control over the subtler layers.

It is natural that only few people are considered worthy of pursuing spiritual education because only few would be prepared mentally to take up spiritual pursuits. Like any other subject of study like science or mathematics, spirituality too needs certain preparation before someone takes to spiritual pursuit. A minimal experience to understand or distinguish the pros and cons of worldly life, a honest seeking to find out the truth and realities behind human life, a certain amount of devotion, gratitude and surrender to the wise, noble and spiritually evolved people who are the true benefactors unlike the superficial, gross and physical friendships which only follows wealth or power or name or fame or position, luxury, comfort, etc. In Sanskrit language, we use a term Adhikaari to refer to those who are qualified with qualities essential for spiritual pursuit. A spiritual master must only share his wisdom to such Adhikaaris and not to every Tom, dick and Harry who he sees or meets. The general caution in the scripture is "Do not disturb the Minds of the ignorant". "Do not share the spiritual wisdom to disbelievers and those who cavil spirituality and religion.

In constructing a pointing toward the light what was originally no more than that becomes in a short period of time a dogma. A dogma that may last thousands of years.

There is nothing particularly incorrect in the above quote and it has considerable wisdom - but it preloads ideology and constructs that are both blocking and assumptive.

What does a Spiritual master say? "I know nothing"

Not held by the complications of gluing something down the simplicity is seen time and again and it is ever simplified.

Is it necessary to obtain to a complexity of some measure in order to then become aware of the simple - the finest - the most subtle?

Is the simple and most subtle beyond the simple mind? Certainly dogma would support this and to a great extent our experiences in life - but - finding our most subtle nature first and alighting within it is barred by no law.

We are "barred" by a great many gross propensities - ancient genetic propensities far far more subtle and embedded than we suspect and barred by the ever complicating bindings of our minds in futures and pasts that do not exist and positions we have fortified ourselves within in defense of these illusions.

The assumption in this landscape it that we are automatons - and it seems clear that this is the case. Some of us are just getting the hang of it and do not want to hear about it in such diminishing and stark terms. Some of us are relishing in our pecking order and in an "understanding" that those "below us" are but clueless sheep. And some of us have begun to tire of the pecking order and the illusion that we are any better or more wise than the sheep - we have come to see that we and the sheep are the same but simply less virgin and perhaps a bit jaded.

This latter group is the one alluded to in the quote - ripening or ripe - because tiring of ones story and illusion and with the spice of realizing the beginnings of spoilage - there comes finally a strong push within to dismiss the shackles.

Yet - every instinct is to pull in this and that direction - to exercise our will and rip and tear - meanwhile like two people hobbling along in a gunny sack race - we slam face down time and again to the books in front of us for some clue as to how to begin this unraveling - somehow we must get past this partner we are in the sack with - in reality our house is set upon itself.

Their is no "partner to get past" - and we do not need healing - nothing - nothing is so much as scratched. We slam again and again to the pavement with the books strewn there and need more of them - better books - seminars - retreats - healings (thats it! - we do need healings and we need to figure out the perfect diet). We realize that we must engineer this unraveling otherwise we will be just like all of those that have died trying.

We compile masses of the best quotes, our books have highlights of all the pith - we come to "know" the path and what it will take and that we are on it. We know all the guide posts and have complete assumption in our understanding of what we have read - with the cheeky understanding that we might be a wee bit off but with a great deal of certainty that we are not far off.

And so the master now sits with the above - one is a rough wolf of a being, a sort of un-showered sun beaten godless heathen with no real idea of why he is sitting there and the other is a person picking apart what the master is wearing and trying to decide if the supposed master is really up to the task of teaching or if he/she is just bullshit because this possible student dressed in organic cotton and sporting a Maui tan has a "perfect" bullshit meter called judgement based in a thousand quotes that they have never understood because they were a thousand miles from understanding them even though they are now sitting on their organic all natural cork yoga mat.

The rough wolf is closer to being in the present - would they discard such a treasure if it came forth? Perhaps.

The ass that is in judgement - would they discard such a treasure? Perhaps.

We are in a New Age - perhaps the Wolf and the Dandy are both at the "starting line".

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

What really matters is whether you are really interested in it or not, or rather if your heart is really in it. Those who have that dedication will put their spiritual realisation and pursuit above making money, sex, relationship, their friends, children, pleasing their parents etc, they value it above everything else, and as such they devote their time, money, energy and mind on it.

I probably have only met one or two people who are really into it that it is their sole path in life, most pretend to be but have their fingers in many pies, they want riches and success as well as spirituality. Or many just use it as a way to get laid or dress up their ego.

You can't fake it, you are either really into it or not, there is little you can do to make yourself into getting enlightened or God realised except be really honest and clear about what you really want from life.

• Like 4

I have much thought on some of your statements, Prasanna. I am going to chew on them for a while before I comment further, but my thinking is much like 3bob's. 

I leave you with this question...  How will they know, if we do not share knowledge?

Let us take a simple example of a class in a school. there will be very many children with different characters and different inherent qualities. The teacher of the class takes lessons commonly to all the students. We will find that only the one's who listen and the one's who are interested in the subject taken ask doubts, clarifications and teachers help to understand the lesson better only to those who show interest, though all the students are equally important. The point here is that the scriptures are not discriminating or abandoning or shunning the people. The normal extroverted life is different in kind / type than the introverted spiritual pursuit. The caution is not to confuse the worldly people with our half baked knowledge and wisdom. If there is a sincere seeker who has naturally turned to spirituality, he is in the same frequency to relate to the spiritual master or guide. This kind of master - disciple relationship is beneficial for both. Whereas, when some spiritual enthusiast who has not even known the purpose of spirituality himself, tries to impose it forcefully onto the worldly people, it is farcical and ridiculous since there will not be any productive interaction in such cases. Not only that the interaction will be ineffective, it may injure and harm the innocent worldly people. That is the intention of the caution. 

Another interesting thing which I am reminded of and which I feel is relevant to add in this discussion is Isavasyopanishad. One of the verses says that there are two blinding paths in life. One is the extroverted worldly life of sensuality and materialism as an end in itself.  The pleasure derived from such extroverted life is no doubt pleasurable, but it takes us as it were into blinding darkness. Blinding darkness is symbolic of ignorance. The Isavasyopanishad further says that there is greater blinding darkness symbolic of greater ignorance. This blinding darkness is an effect of revelling in spiritual enjoyments due to complacency and getting stagnated somewhere due to compromise of values and learning. The true mark of spiritual person is Self Realization. No sincere spiritual seeker should get caught up in the enjoyments of the spiritual practices which are of a very high quality than that of the worldly pleasures.

Coming back to our main point of discussion, there are different stages of spiritual evolution or spiritual growth. Those who are extroverted and worldly have chosen a different path of life. And, unless they themselves are interested, it is a futile effort to impose spirituality as they will only oppose, reject and shun spirituality which is against their present value system in life. This is more harm to the worldly people than a help to them. You will see many Gurus coming up and creating big following. They too are gurus and there were great gurus in the past, in the present who are never even recognized as gurus. Love to fellow beings is certainly devotion to God. But spirituality doesn't end in recognition of the supreme God in all beings but in achieving the Self Realization that the Individual is nothing but God alone and not the material aspects of Body, mind, intellect, Ego and the resulting perceptions, emotions, thinking, actions, imaginations etc. The individual Jeeva merges one with the supreme Self or Paramathma or Brahman. There is no more duality.

Above everything, spirituality is about one's own self unfoldment rather than reformation or correction of the world. Unless one reforms or refines himself fully, how can he or she correct the world. My guru says that even Christ in some period of time got caught up when he mingled with the masses beyond his capacity. he felt spirituall weakened because of over relating with the masses. A truly spiritual person neither wishes solitude nor shuns crowd. He is dispassionately passionate and disinterestedly interested in world and his own life. No more of craving desires and ego.

Edited by Prasanna
  • Like 1

My guru says that even Christ in some period of time got caught up when he mingled with the masses beyond his capacity. he felt spirituall weakened because of over relating with the masses. 

45. Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. 46. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? 47. Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias. 48. And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink. 49. The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him. 50. Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. 

51. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; 52. And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53. And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. 54. Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

- Matthew 27

13. Then the Blessed One said: "There are eight reasons, Ananda, eight causes for a mighty earthquake to arise. What are those eight?

14. "This great earth, Ananda, is established upon liquid, the liquid upon the atmosphere, and the atmosphere upon space. And when, Ananda, mighty atmospheric disturbances take place, the liquid is agitated. And with the agitation of the liquid, tremors of the earth arise. This is the first reason, the first cause for the arising of mighty earthquakes.

15. "Again, Ananda, when an ascetic or holy man of great power, one who has gained mastery of his mind, or a deity who is mighty and potent, develops intense concentration on the delimited aspect of the earth element, and to a boundless degree on the liquid element, he, too, causes the earth to tremble, quiver, and shake. This is the second reason, the second cause for the arising of mighty earthquakes.

16-21. "Again, Ananda, when the Bodhisatta departs from the Tusita realm and descends into his mother's womb, mindfully and clearly comprehending; and when the Bodhisatta comes out from his mother's womb, mindfully and clearly comprehending; and when the Tathagata becomes fully enlightened in unsurpassed, supreme Enlightenment; when the Tathagata sets rolling the excellent Wheel of the Dhamma; when the Tathagata renounces his will to live on; and when the Tathagata comes to pass away into the state of Nibbana in which no element of clinging remains — then, too, Ananda, this great earth trembles, quivers, and shakes.

- Mahāparinirvāṇa Sūtra
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this