Aetherous

Massey's Ancient Egypt

I do have a liking of old school, post-Victorian, semi-Masonic, under-researched 'Egyptology' , but I find the constant attempts to relate it to Christianity a little boring   and  indicative of the bias behind any 'research'. 

If you want to know more about ' Egyptian Spirituality '  ... or  even just too look at their 'word' that we translate as  'God /s ' , we have come a       l o o o o n g  way in our findings, research and understandings since this 19th century stuff. 

Anyway, here is an ancient Egyptian joke I just made up : 

Considering how long Isis was separated from Osiris , I think it was rather good of her  ....... 

.....   to      remember him  .       :)

• Like 5

Notwithstanding some historical inaccuracies, I feel that those early Egyptologists captured essential things about the culture's esotericism that modern researchers tend to miss. They were occultists, after all - and only occultists can truly understand others of their kind.

I do have a liking of old school, post-Victorian, semi-Masonic, under-researched 'Egyptology' , but I find the constant attempts to relate it to Christianity a little boring   and  indicative of the bias behind any 'research'. 

If you want to know more about ' Egyptian Spirituality '  ... or  even just too look at their 'word' that we translate as  'God /s ' , we have come a       l o o o o n g  way in our findings, research and understandings since this 19th century stuff. 

Considering how long Isis was separated from Osiris , I think it was rather good of her  ....... 

.....   to      remember him  .       :)

Inventing the dildo when she couldn't find one of the parts. :D

• Like 1

Notwithstanding some historical inaccuracies, I feel that those early Egyptologists captured essential things about the culture's esotericism that modern researchers tend to miss. They were occultists, after all - and only occultists can truly understand others of their kind.

Unfortunately its not 'some historical inaccuracies' but a whole series of invented 'facts' to fit a theory.  Massey's theories spawned the dreadful Zeitgheist video which contains such idiocies as the word 'horizon' is etymologically derived from 'Horus is risen'.  Had he bothered to research real facts he would indeed have found that the early Christian church did indeed 'borrow' from Ancient Egypt through such things as the image of the Virgin Mary holding child Jesus which resembles Isis and Horus and also the fact that when the Christians took over Egyptians temples they very often preserved the temple function - for instance if it was a place of healing they would dedicate it to a Saint concerned with healing.  In this way the temples could continue their social function.

• Like 4

Totally with you on that. So far I've only read 1/4 of the first chapter, so haven't really gotten into the Christianity part.

.....   to      remember him  .        :)

Best thing I've heard this entire month.
  • Like 1

yes, that is why I am fond of it, but if one wants to really research things and get to a closer understanding one must realise how their mindset interferes in their research in 2 major ways 

1. Seeing developments  in cultures and societies in variant location and times as an expression of some type of superior race's expansionism ( just like Eropean Empires did - funny that ! )

2. Interpreting others religions, either as in opposition to or similar to their  own. 

How to avoid this pitfall and move more towards an empirical mode of  'evidence based' research, is the subject of the intro by John Romer on his book on Pre-historic Egypt  ... well worth reading (just that intro ) . 

I find it best to first get a SOLID and accurate base as one can   and then begin one's speculations (if one is going to speculate ) ... we already got enough uneducated speculations going ; ...     https://www.youtube.com/

Unfortunately its not 'some historical inaccuracies' but a whole series of invented 'facts' to fit a theory.  Massey's theories spawned the dreadful Zeitgheist video which contains such idiocies as the word 'horizon' is etymologically derived from 'Horus is risen'.  ....

No, wait !  It works out .... try it yourself by saying it 3 times quickly ....... after drinking a 1/2 bottle of scotch . 

• Haha 1

If you want a more up to date version of interpreting Egyptian spirituality try these ... I quite like them ;  

https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Tradition-Ancient-Egypt-Esoteric/dp/1567181295

https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Magic-Ancient-Egypt-Spiritual/dp/1567181309

~  Clarke was a 'disciple' of  'Om Seti'    -    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Eady

Much more up to date .....   up to date for Om Seti's time ,  again, it is the same case , research since then has shown she aint quiet right but imagined, inserted, interpreted stuff  that research since then, has not supported . 

But we can 'crib' some stuff together with what we have learnt since then .  If put into practice ... I have found it VERY  potent ! 

Certain principles of  'heka'  ;   seem timeless and well embedded into our psyche ..... where they can still be used today ( the most successful as demonstrated in its hieroglyph )  .

... also the fact that when the Christians took over Egyptians temples they very often preserved the temple function - for instance if it was a place of healing they would dedicate it to a Saint concerned with healing.  In this way the temples could continue their social function.

Though probably not an Egyptian temple per se, I saw this phenomena first hand during a trip to the cathedral of Notre Dame located in Chartres. There is a statue of the Black Madonna there, reportedly an adaptation of Isis. This is also the alleged location of an ancient well of the druids, which I had the good fortune to see. There are many reports of magical energies flowing strongly in this location and based upon my experience, I believe this to be true.

UFA

• Like 1

If you want a more up to date version of interpreting Egyptian spirituality try these ... I quite like them ;  

https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Tradition-Ancient-Egypt-Esoteric/dp/1567181295

https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Magic-Ancient-Egypt-Spiritual/dp/1567181309

~  Clarke was a 'disciple' of  'Om Seti'    -    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Eady

Much more up to date .....   up to date for Om Seti's time ,  again, it is the same case , research since then has shown she aint quiet right but imagined, inserted, interpreted stuff  that research since then, has not supported . 

But we can 'crib' some stuff together with what we have learnt since then .  If put into practice ... I have found it VERY  potent ! 

Certain principles of  'heka'  ;   seem timeless and well embedded into our psyche ..... where they can still be used today ( the most successful as demonstrated in its hieroglyph )  .

Om Seti was quite well respected by mainstream Egyptologists - despite being thought a little eccentric.  

Despite being a reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian       ^_^  .  

Clarke seems to have a bit a of a cult  following , international  school and all that.  Thing is she fills the gaps with pretty modern stuff, oh well, gotta fill them with something.

However , if going   'neo-Egyptian' I prefer Normandy Ellis   ( ignored her for years after checking out her 'ancient Egyptian' cards  then re found her via her 'Awakening Osiris' book - very interesting transliterations ;

In seafoam, in swirlings and imaginings I am fish, tadpole, crocodile. I am an urge, an idea, a portent of impossible dreams. I lie between heaven and earth, between goodness and evil, patience and explosion. I am innocent and rosy as dawn. I sleep with my finger in my mouth, the cord of life curled beside my ear. Like a child in its mother's belly, I am with you but not among you. I know no ending for I have no beginning. I have always been here, a child in the silence of things, ready to wake at any moment. 

I am possibility. 

What I hate is ignorance, smallness of imagination, the eye that sees no farther than its own lashes. All things are possible. When we speak in love and live by love, truth in love will be our comfort. Who you are is limited only by who you think you are. I am the word before its utterance. I am thought and desire. I am a child in the throat of god. Things are possible--joy and sorrow, men and women, children. Someday I'll imagine myself a different man, build bone and make flesh around him. I am with you but a moment for an eternity. I am the name of everything. 

I've dreamed the nightmare a hundred times, that old revulsion of bone and flesh, waking in sweat, in a headlong rush toward the world, into the cool certainty of fires that burn in sudden stars, the heat in the body. That I am precludes my never having been. 

What I know was given to me to say. There is more. 

There are words that exist only in the mind of heaven, a bright knowing, a clear moment of being. When you know it, you know yourself well enough. You will not speak. I am a child resting in love, the pleasure of clouds. I read the book of the river. I hold the magic of stones and trees. I find god in my fingers and in the wings of birds. I am my delight, creator of my destiny. It is not vanity. 

There are those who live in the boundaries of guilt and fear, the limits of imagination. They believe limitation is the world. You can not change them. There is work of your own to do. You will never reach the end of your own becoming, the madness of creation, the joy of existence. 

Dance in the moment. Reach down and pull up song. Spin and chant and forget the sorrow that we are flesh on bone. I return to the rhythm of water, to the dark song I was in my mother's belly. We were gods then and we knew it. We are gods now dancing in whirling darkness, spitting flame like stars in the night. 

In the womb before the world began, I was a child among other gods and children who were, or may be, or might have been. There in the dark when we could not see each other's faces, we agreed with one mind to be born, to separate, to forget the pact we made that we might learn the secrets of our fraternity. We agreed to know sorrow in exchange for joy, to know death in exchange for life. We were dark seeds of possibility whispering. Then one by one we entered alone. We walked on our legs, and as we had said, we passed in well-lit streets without recognizing each other; yet we were gods sheathed in flesh, the multitude of a single spirit. Gods live even in darkness, in the world above your heads, in the crevices of rocks, in the open palms of strangers. 

I am a child, the seed in everything, the rhythm of flowers, the old story that lingers. Among cattle and fruit sellers, I am air. I am love hidden in a shy maiden's gown. I am the name of things. I am the dream changing before your eyes. I am my body, a house for blood and breath. I am a man on earth and a god in heaven. While I travel the deserts in frail form, while I grow old and weep and die, I live always as a child inside the body of truth, a blue egg that rocks in the storm but never breaks. I sleep in peace in my mother's lap, a child mesmerized by sunlight on the river. My soul is swallowed up by god. 

Out of chaos came the light. 

Out of the will came life.
Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Om Seti was quite well respected by mainstream Egyptologists - despite being thought a little eccentric.  

Yoda was nice enough to give me "the search for Om Seti" a bunch of years back, it was an interesting read.