Sign in to follow this  
Golden Dragon Shining

VR technology helps paraplegics regain leg function

Following a 12-month study of eight paraplegic patients, Duke University has published results that suggest that virtual reality (VR) technology can help aid in restoring mobility in patients suffering from a chronic spinal cord injury, reports TechCrunch.

By simulating parts of the brain associated with leg movement through an avatar on the VR headset, patients were able to learn how to control their minds to produce leg movement. Patients were fitted with an Oculus Rift, an EEG cap to measure brainwave activity, and a vibrating tactile feedback device to give patients the most realistic experience. http://www.businessinsider.com/vr-technology-helps-paraplegics-regain-leg-function-2016-8/?r=AU&IR=T

So basically visualization has helped regain leg function, power of the mind hm?

• Like 2

Earlier then VR, some therapy used mirrors to trick the brain into moving parts deemed paralyzed, not miraculous but they saw worthwhile results.  Could be tricking the brain causes it to rewire pathways.  The brain may be more repairing then we know, if only we provide the right triggers. 

• Like 1

Yes my intention was more toward the power of the mind than the VR tech. :)

The VR tech is helping with visualizing, they could be doing this on their own though. The mind is repairing the damage?

Edited by Sionnach
  • Like 1

There's an anime that my kids got me hooked on called Sword Art Online.  Main theme is people trapped in a VR world by a gaming helmet that if they take off kills them.  So they have to live in the world until the 'game' is over.  By the second season S.A II, they've won, and the show gets into people who use the extreme VR technology for healing.   Beyond the action story lines, like good scify it explores the ramifications of VR especially Sword Art Online 2, second half.

A few weeks ago I went into the Microsoft store and they were showing off the latest VR devices.  Nobody else seemed interested, the area was cordoned off.  I tried it, the helmet was a bit weighty, and had hand controls but the resolution and response time was amazing.  Whether in the bottom of the ocean watching fish and whales, or playing a 360degree space shoot up with both hands operating guns separately, the resolution experience was fantastic.  Gimicky but very nice, also a little dangerous since you did on your feet, moving around blind to the outside world.  It'd be easy to get in trouble.

My mom is paralyzed in one leg and this kind of tech once mainstreamed could be of tremendous help to her (if she open to it, which is questionable for non-techs in there 80's).  Matter of fact my daughter is going into Occupational Therapy.  It'd be great to see it mainstreamed for therapeutic and improved living through connectivity.  Especially if they can keep the price halfway reasonable. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

This is really interesting.

The 'mirrors' tech has been used to try and help with phantom limb pain, I've read.

The VR stuff is cool and has so many options. I was watching this show on the brain recently and they were demonstrating how if you blindfold a person and then use a VR headset to show them that you are doing something to a humanoid body and you touch their body in the same way at the same time, the brain will 'map' these together. Unfortunately this has some negatives too; if you suddenly stick a knife in the mannequin, it's not so pleasant for the individual. 

Yes. They did this. Sigh.

But I remember Christopher Reeve (or Reeves depending on your Mandela-effect reality :-)) when he was alive saying something like, his spine was actually healed, there wasn't anything physical in the way anymore, it was just a matter of the brain not proactively picking up and using the nerves or whatever -- something like this might "remind" the brain that it actually does have this functionality, using an avatar.

RC

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this