Sign in to follow this  
upanishad

Meditation On Pleasure?

Hello all,

Is there such a thing as a meditation on pleasure? Cultivating a feeling of inner joy, mirth, happiness, laughter, love, etc.? That feeling when you are brimming with joy and feel like laughing?

I've read that the jhanas (certain definitions of them, anyway) include a focus on a feeling of pleasure as an access point.

I also read one time about a master leading his monks to samadhi through laughter.

But I'm wondering if there is a meditation designed specifically to cultivate pleasure as a starting point, starting by cultivating pleasure, or purposefully generating that feeling of joy. As opposed to waiting for it to occur naturally. To become suffused with joy, a phrase I've heard.

I guess one idea is to recall a memory of mirth or laughter, something funny that happened and let that build, part of a feedback loop in the brain. Or starting with a smile or laughing, and focusing on the pleasure of that sensation, to become brimming with joy.

Having done some searching, I came across writing about the Laughing Buddha, Hotei. http://discovermeditation.com/515/blog/meditation-news/hotei-the-laughing-buddha/

I am sure there are some practices out there, but I would not recommend any, personally.

With enough time and clearing, it will become pleasurable with no effort at all on your part.

We have to learn to walk before we can run ;)

Happy sitting, my friend :)

With my limited experiences of samadhi and jhanas, when you are have arrived in that state, you become both the subject and object.  There is neither joy or sorry, happiness or pain.  You only aware of your mind itself, in its natural state in its bright luminosity.  Your mind does not rest on anything.  Does not meditate on anything.  You just feel at home.  Feeling where you are supposed to be.  You have forgotten about pleasure and pain...any sense identities originated from your 6 senses.  You have no body.  You are just your mind and your awareness alone.  That's it. 

In your meditation, your goal is to reach this state of being by letting go and allowing thoughts to dissolve...until you have arrived in your Samadhi or in a state of rigpa.  You don't hold on or rest on anything because that's clinging.       

• Like 1

The first thing that comes to mind is the Inner Smile exercise given by Mantak Chia:

Mr Chia actually wrote a whole book about it.

I also heard about Laughter Yoga:

This was created by an Indian doctor. It's very popular today and you can find lots of videos about it on Youtube. There are seminars being held in many places. If nothing else, it must be valuable as a stress relief.

Happy smiling and laughing!

:):lol::D

• Like 2

Yes i have done it lots before. It feels like ecstasy for me, and builds up over a few days, can get too strong that its unbearable if i do it too much. Handy hint is to double the feeling. Get that happy feeling and double it then again and keep on doubling. U can only go so far in a single sitting but practicing in between activities over 3-4 days my body is constantly flushed with waves of massive pleasure at will.

Dont do it too much before operating heavy machinery or a car.

I think this is hormone based at least not nervous system based because it takes days to build up and days to get it out of my system too. After a few times of loving it then i just wanted the extacy to go away. Worth playing around with though :)

Edited by z00se

This goes with my theory of go for what you want, practice what you want to achieve. Just general practice and letting it come is not my style. Take it and its yours! :)

However imagination is then the limit. Letting things come allows the possibility of feeling things unimaginable :)

Sign in to follow this