dwai

Resting your mind on something is not the same as thinking about it

It's becoming clearer to me off late that when a meditation technique says "Rest your mind" on something (say the Lower Dan Tien), it is not the same as "think of something". 

There is a very clear difference between "resting the mind" vs "thinking". Resting the mind implies a passive attention. Thinking implies an active attention (at least that's what it seems to me).

So, when a student is asked to "rest his/her mind on something", it means simply that. Rest the mind...like one would take an object and lay it down on another surface. It does not mean observe, scrutinize, study, etc.

The act of resting the mind is non-descriptive, passive and does not exhaust us. The act of thinking is active and exhausts us.

Thoughts?

• Like 7

Is not single point focus, still single point focus?

But I would agree with you if you mean thinking about thinking (like a step removed). To me, the difference is thinking about feeling your hand as compared to just sensing/feeling/residing with your hand.

• Like 2

Is not single point focus, still single point focus?

But I would agree with you if you mean thinking about thinking (like a step removed). To me, the difference is thinking about feeling your hand as compared to just sensing/feeling/residing with your hand.

What I meant is - When I rest my mind on something, my mind is still. When I think, my mind is moving. :)

• Like 2

What I meant is - When I rest my mind on something, my mind is still. When I think, my mind is moving. :)

Sorry to be picky... But if you are resting your mind on something specifc, you are maintaining subject - object separation. That aspect is an example of thinking as you are acting as there is some place to go separate from where you would normally rest/reside.

• Like 1

Sorry to be picky... But if you are resting your mind on something specifc, you are maintaining subject - object separation. That aspect is an example of thinking as you are acting as there is some place to go separate from where you would normally rest/reside.

Yes indeed that is thinking. :)

Its just passive. I don't know how else to explain it... :)

• Like 1

Is it easy for you to rest your mind on something, dwai?

Once I got over the misidentification with the mind, it was...although it took a little bit of practice.

Resting the mind is different from focussing the mind on an object or just observing the mind. 

Resting the mind is what I got when I turned the mind around to observe the witness. What I got is stillness of the mind. Then over time it became evident to me that the mind can just "rest" without doing anything much. Sure it rises and wanders from time to time. But for the most part it is still. 

Contrast this with the effort needed to focus the mind on an object (one-pointed focus). The very thought of it is exhausting :)

• Like 6

Impressive! Just to be clear: now that you've seen both the witness and the mind, who or what is making "the effort needed to focus"?

• Like 1

Impressive! Just to be clear: now that you've seen both the witness and the mind, who or what is making "the effort needed to focus"?

The ego of course :)

• Like 1

to me, ego seems a fluid motion of action or mind, constant grasping, or dodging, within which the very act of grasping begets perceived need for more grasping or dodging... much like the symbol of Cerberus and the hunger that grows as it is fed.

when resting inertia settles and clarity seems inevitable

muddiest waters

left undisturbed by 'process'

rest in clarity

• Like 3

Several years ago, I was at one of those recurring "leadership institute" luncheons at which senior executives mingle with and mentor aspiring junior leaders. At this particular one, the instructors wanted to "put management on the spot" and one of the roundtable questions was along the lines of, "what strategic leadership issues do you spend most of your time thinking about to make you a more effective leader" (something like that, anyhow).

My peers attempted to compose succinct ad hoc responses about how they read various blogs or journals each morning to learn the latest cutting-edge management theory to apply to their divisions, etc.

When my turn came, I said that I spend most of my time these days actively NOT thinking but listening instead, because thinking in that context projects the past upon the future and virtually guarantees that solutions will be flat if not contrived. The response was a titter, followed by stunned silence as the group realized I meant it.

I took the opportunity to quote SunTsu, Confucius and the Ancient Child.

In hindsight, I talked too much. As with this post (and this thread), I would have reached the intended audience with a simple statement such as, "I like to listen."

Edited by Brian
  • Like 8

A few years back someone (I think it was Trunk) brought up the difference between resting your mind on the lower dan tien, and actually switching your center of consciousness so that it´s actually emanating from the dan tien itself.  An important distinction, I think.

• Like 6

Can 'resting' be considered the middle ground between 'thinking about/contemplating' and 'merging with'?

• Like 4

Can 'resting' be considered the middle ground between 'thinking about/contemplating' and 'merging with'?

Very good way to describe it. :)

• Like 2

Indeed. Eventually resting becomes disappearing (or merging)...

• Like 3

You are certainly an accomplished meditator, dwai. I wouldn’t mind hearing a few words on your ”little bit of practice”. That said, I’m left wondering where you’re going with this. ”Disappearing”, ”merging”, ”void” - sounds more like death than truth. Have you forgotten about sahaja samadhi?

• Like 1

You are certainly an accomplished meditator, dwai. I wouldn’t mind hearing a few words on your ”little bit of practice”. That said, I’m left wondering where you’re going with this. ”Disappearing”, ”merging”, ”void” - sounds more like death than truth. Have you forgotten about sahaja samadhi?

I'm far from being an accomplished anything :)

My practice currently includes Taiji single form and neigong practices (standing and seated).

Along with that, I moved from Jnana yoga (contemplation) to Ramana Maharishi's "Who am I" practice to at present "resting with the Witness" (as taught by Nisargadatta Maharaj). I find this is also very helpful in taiji practice as well...

So "disappearing/merging/etc" means dropping the "self" and stabilizing in the "Self". That IS Sahaja Samadhi iinm...will it happen for me? Who knows....with God's grace maybe...

• Like 1

You are being very modest. May I suggest letting God’s grace work through your continued efforts? Call me when you’ve joined the dark side  ;) 

• Like 1