Taoway

Parents moving down south to Florida. I'm staying up in new york

I see it as a good transition to grow and learn to become much more independent. But I don't have a job and am living in a free space. Waiting to learn to tattoo in an internship. Everything is somewhat working out but it's gonna be rough being so far away.

Any tips advice with how to manage buying food on a very low income and dealing with being alone and not having the comfort of parents or family near by.

And how to stay grounded and centered during the transition? I'm 22 years old and have only been sort of on my own for 2 months.

• Like 1

to grow and learn to become much more independent. But I don't have a job and am living in a free space

Being independent means that one can provide for themselves at the bare minimum. Maybe you want a family someday, too? That means providing for multiple people...it's pretty much impossible to do without a job (meaning, a source of income...not necessarily working for someone else).

Also...is this free space a permanent thing? Sometimes what's free today is gone tomorrow due to expectations that are hard to fill, or because someone else needed it for something else...then what happens? Some say "there's no free lunch in life". Well, of course at times we get a free lunch...but it's extremely rare that we can count on it for a long period of time. What's free for us is being paid for by someone else's work, and why would they continue doing that when it means they're getting less than they deserve for their work? Earning your lunch means you never go hungry.

Waiting to learn to tattoo in an internship.

That sounds kind of cool...and I guess the early 20s are for doing cool things. I just encourage you to think long term...is this going to realistically provide for you the life you want to have when you're older? Will you be able to do the things you want to do to in life, such as travel, own your own house, go to your favorite meditation seminar, etc? Can it last until you retire? Can it feed multiple mouths?

For people who haven't fully found themselves in regard to careers, I like to recommend electrician apprenticeships, police work, fire fighting, or something similar. It's a much more reliable paycheck, which in my view is much cooler, because then you have the ability to do other cool things. With a trendy job, on the other hand, maybe there won't even be enough money to pay rent each month.

Everyone is different...it's a choice to make of what you think your life should be like and what it's going to take to get it there. Some people can live very frugally and enjoy a more bohemian lifestyle. Where you end up in life is a result of what you choose based on what you can handle and what you prefer.

Any tips advice with how to manage buying food on a very low income

Learn how to cook rice well, get beans in bulk, be sparse with spices and salt (it's better to taste the subtle flavors of foods anyway), find cheaper cuts of grass fed meats, go for higher quality eggs for breakfasts, oats, pick a veggie that looks really full of life and eat that one with a few meals, etc. Ghee, or refined olive oil make good fats to cook with. All you need in a meal is a carb (like rice), a protein (like chicken), some fats (like avocado), and some good veggies (like bell peppers)...chew slowly and savor the meal, don't wait to eat until you're hungry but eat before you get to that point. It's really hard to have any money if you eat at restaurants. If you take pride in your cooking, get experience in preparing the food to being exactly how you prefer it, keep a clean and bright kitchen space, your food can be better than if eating out.

There are cheaper and costlier grocery stores...shop at different ones and compare the prices. Try to find discount grocery stores, too. Farmers markets have good stuff, if they're in your area...better for buying produce because it's most likely more fresh and alive.

There's also food stamps if you're eligible.

and dealing with being alone and not having the comfort of parents or family near by.

Hang out with friends more often. Call or facetime the family. Have a hobby or job that is around people.

And how to stay grounded and centered during the transition? I'm 22 years old and have only been sort of on my own for 2 months.

Don't do drugs. Young people that are kind of isolated in life who do drugs end up on the street. Being without a job living in a free place, the street is just a step away. Once you go there, it's a very hard climb back out...most don't make it back. Don't go near that path!

Think of what you want your life to be in 10 years, when you're 32...where do you want to be? What do you want to be able to do? Do you want a family by that point, or to be free of responsibilities? Start working toward what you see, doing what it takes. Maybe you envision yourself as an architect at that age, who knows...if that were the case, you'd want to get started by looking into which schools you could go to for it...then next step would be looking at financial aid...etc.

A person working toward their goals is grounded, but a person without a vision who just does fun things on a whim is more likely to become ungrounded. Fun is temporary bliss and later pain, but doing responsible things that make sense might be temporary pain yet later bliss.

It sounds like you do have this goal of becoming a tattoo artist. That could end up being really good for you, who knows. I'm sure some artists make bank. I would just advise that you go into it knowing whether it will serve you or not...too many young people choose a career that seems pleasurable, over one that is going to pay the bills long term. Any pleasurable job can end up sucking, and any menial job can end up being enjoyable at times. I think about construction workers who get to have some exercise, listen to music, hang out with the bros, be outside in the fresh air, and have a steady income...some would say a construction job is beneath them, but to me those things I just mentioned are really enjoyable!

You can always do the fun thing for now, and later change your path.

Just some ideas from someone who recently escaped their 20s and finally became more of an adult.

• Like 2

Well the space I am living in is of a family friend who don't expect to move anywhere or kick me out.

With tattooing it may seem like just a cool 20 year old thing to do but it's my only skill.. to draw and since many people still flock to get tattoos I can make a living out of it.

I am currently in a shop paying my dues with out being paid. 5 or 6 days a week. I will have to ask to go in less in order to get a part time job. But once I start learning I can schedule let's say 3 tattoos a day 5 days a week. Little ones costing 100 to 200 dollars per tattoo... with that amount I can afford food and car insurance and once I develop my skill with the medium I may move to my parents or a place that is easier to live in.

This is my last try at doing something I love with my life.. If this doesn't work out I will probably join a monastery because I don't plan on having a family and don't necessarily want to work long hours in a trade I don't enjoy. Plus an electrician apprenticeship may take 2 or more years.

My plan in the next 10nyears would be to grow in this skill and use it to travel around.. and I plan to just live very simply for the first 5 or 10 years to save money for the distant future. Save money for a nice property and the ability to take care of my parents later on.

That is great advice with the food question. When I get back to my space I'm going to organize the kitchen and make sure it's a space I don't mind making some quality food in.

I don't do drugs or drink or really need any money for leisure or entertainment. I am very simple minded and am just glad I have a lot of books to read.

I definitely see nothing nwrong with a construction job or a carpenter or electrician. Its just not something I feel I'd be very good at. I love exercise and work that involves manual labor but I'm very skinny and I don't think I'd be appreciated much in a job like that.

For now my skill is with art and luckily tattoo art is something that is still in high demand. So I'll use that to my advantage and make it work.

• Like 2

I've gone quite far with cans of Tuna with mayonnaise and canned beans with onions and spinach. In short, learn how to cook all your meals at home and you can live of 30$ a week for food.

It seems like you have much of your life planned out, but I would advise you to be open to the unexpected. Life can and often will surprise you. Best of luck. :)

Edited by OldChi

I've gone quite far with cans of Tuna with mayonnaise and canned beans with onions and spinach. In short, learn how to cook all your meals at home and you can live of 30$ a week for food.

It seems like you have much of your life planned out, but I would advise you to be open to the unexpected. Life can and often will surprise you. Best of luck. :)

I'm going to stock up on bags and bags of organic brown rice... ( can you believe a small 3 pound or so bag at stop and shop is only 2 dollars)

And lots of cans of beans. I live in a basement with no stove or conventional oven so I have a rice cooker which has worked for most dishes !

I will be open and ready for any challenge that comes my way. I embrace having to live off of little. It sounds like a great place to start

• Like 1

With tattooing it may seem like just a cool 20 year old thing to do but it's my only skill.. to draw and since many people still flock to get tattoos I can make a living out of it.

I have met once an architect on a beach in Dominican Republic. He was Serbian and he was doing henna tattoos to the tourists there and he was doing that for 5 years and he said he would never go back to architecture. He was changing the hotels or resorts every year and he has been in most of the Caribbean countries, basically he was living in paradise.

So totally depends on your dream, if you have a dream pursue it. If you don't have it, explore around and find your dream. Don't do anything you don't like, do only what you like.

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 1