Sign in to follow this  
Veezel

Should I convert to Taoism?

I consider myself a Taoist Christian. However, sometimes I wonder if being a Christian is holding me back.

For example...

I avoid yoga and meditation, since I believe that they came from Hinduism, which is the devil's religion.

However, if I fully convert to Taoism, I wouldn't have to worry about avoiding anything since I'm a Taoist, and have completely embraced such Eastern way of life.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 2

No, you just need to be a little more open-minded.  (But not so much that your brains fall out.)

I am sure that if you look close enough you will find things that Jesus supposedly said that would suggest that yoga and meditation are good practices.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 5

I consider myself a Taoist Christian. However, sometimes I wonder if being a Christian is holding me back.

For example...

I avoid yoga and meditation, since I believe that they came from Hinduism, which is the devil's religion.

However, if I fully convert to Taoism, I wouldn't have to worry about avoiding anything since I'm a Taoist, and have completely embraced such Eastern way of life.

What are your thoughts?

You just need to figure out what you believe.

Get on a journey, a search for the truth.

You see, it's all about what's really true. Is there really an eternal hell? Is, as you suggested possible, Hinduism really from the devil?

Figure out what you really and truly, honestly believe.

• Like 1

Why convert to anything? Why consider yourself anything? Why avoid anything? Why believe anything? Why give credence to gods, devils, or religions? Why embrace anybody else's way of life?

The folks on this forum who really impress are those who practice.

Edited by laughingblade
  • Like 3

Some Christian monks have traveled and some of them embraced Hinduism, Zen Buddhism, Taoism etc. without abandoning Christianity. Michael Saso is/was (?) a catholic Priest and a Taoist Priest and a Buddhist..

As a Christian, Christ's Love is your Law, and I can't see any good reason why you should stop living by this rule while learning all that other traditions can offer.

The folks on this forum who really impress are those who practice.

This is it!

Edited by smallsteps

I have no idea how any external source (book, person, or tradition) could ever effectively tell you (or anyone) what would be appropriate for how you express your view the world and in what manner you would adopt rituals and verbiage to reflect your perceptions of it...

It's on you to interact with your inner and outer life and as I've found, throughout my life, my paradigm is not fixed but flows as well, so what was appropriate for me in my 20's is no longer the case in my late 40's. 

In the end though, there is no doubt to me what is in alignment with my authentic process and what is not.

This inner compass is how I identify my Path.

edit: to slay the usual grammar goblins

Edited by silent thunder

Hmmmm ....  I have never considered Taoism to require a 'conversion', I assumed it was ( and it was in my case)  more of a 'realization' .

But then again, I am no 'expert'. 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Hmmmm ....  I have never considered Taoism to require a 'conversion', I assumed it was ( and it was in my case)  more of a 'realization' .

But then again, I am no 'expert'. 

You are not far off the truth.

I believe it's quite possible to consider oneself a Christian and a Taoist simultaneously, DEPENDING on what one's beliefs are.

If a person is a fundamentalist or evangelical Christian, and also a Taoist, they might need to examine their belief system.

I can tell you with certainty that most evangelical Christian pastors would consider Taoism to be satanic and a perversion of the real truth.

I'm not trying to stir up any conflict or arguments. But the OP suggested that Hinduism might be "the devil's religion" - and indeed, a true evangelical, who believes that if one doesn't accept Jesus as their savior they'll go to hell forever, most likely does believe that.

I'm not judging Christianity. I'm just saying that it depends on one's exact point of view.

Veezel, my suggestion to you is to figure out exactly what you believe.

... who believes that if one doesn't accept Jesus as their savior they'll go to hell forever, ...

I had one tell me that and I told him that he could go to hell right now.

• Like 2

For example...

What are your thoughts?

Your path should lead you to compassion, moderation and humility. Taoism recognizes all deities as manifestations of the one infinite source of all manifestations. If Christianity is a part of that path so be it. I have noticed many Christians lose faith (Alan Watts) which is an openness to believe, to keep your mind open. Belief soon becomes conviction and then you lose faith and become rigid. Rigidity is related to death.

It sounds as though your mind is open to possibilities, so walk your path and be open to the new ideas that will come forth from the Tao. :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this