smilingone

Can you learn Tai Chi from dvds

And how far can you come by practicing on your own through dvds and books alone?

Since I have access to a teacher it's the only option for me.

Of course you can.

And how far can you come by practicing on your own through dvds and books alone?

As far as all the non-chinese masters and teachers out there. And even some chinese ones.

Question is how long it will take you. I learned music from books, but Im sure I would learn quicker and had more confidence had I took some lessons. As a matter of fact I did sometime ago and it was very rewarding.

• Like 1

I know it's not a popular opinion (and I'm certainly not an expert, so take it with a grain of salt), but I honestly don't think so. I imagine you can learn the basic movements of specific forms from a DVD (I'm not so sure about books) and derive some physical and energetic benefit, but in my experience there are too many subtle nuances which really need to be conveyed in person to fully grasp the practice and develop it over time. I think with only books and DVD's you'd quickly hit a ceiling in terms of progress.

But if you're really determined, give it a shot. It can't hurt, and what the hell do I know?

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 2

I found Dr. Paul Lam's longer Yang Style videos were effective for me initially - got me feeling the Qi, got a lot of blockages cleared and made me feel the lower dan tien, about 15-16 years back. You should find a teacher of course....but you could spend a year or so practicing from the video.

Edited by dwai

Of all the common Daoist practices a person might undertake, I think Tai Chi is among the most difficult to learn without a teacher.  As Aeran points out, there are so many subtle nuances.  Are you absolutely set on Tai Chi specifically?  If so, please don´t let me discourage you.  You likely won´t get as far on your own as you would with a teacher, but perhaps this is your path and who knows where it will lead you.

But if you´re just looking for a form to cultivate your chi, if you want to feel energy and get stronger and fortify your health -- in that case I´d recommend chi gung instead.  There are many forms you could explore.  Here too a teacher can be helpful, of course, but learning chi gung from a video is much easier.  

Edited by liminal_luke

You will learn basic movements and possible will be able to notice what is beyond. And basic movements relate to taiji about the same as knowing alphabet is related to ability to write novels.

You could visit a teacher one or two times a year for one-two weeks training. This should be doable even if you live in a remote location.

I know it's not a popular opinion (and I'm certainly not an expert, so take it with a grain of salt), but I honestly don't think so. I imagine you can learn the basic movements of specific forms from a DVD (I'm not so sure about books) and derive some physical and energetic benefit, but in my experience there are too many subtle nuances which really need to be conveyed in person to fully grasp the practice and develop it over time. I think with only books and DVD's you'd quickly hit a ceiling in terms of progress.

But if you're really determined, give it a shot. It can't hurt, and what the hell do I know?

My thoughts exactly. You can get some basic choreography down, get some new qi, even some hints of chansi but prepare to have your mind blown and realize how silly you were once a legitimate instructor gets hold of you and can provide you with kinesthetic feedback.

• Like 1

If you have absolutely no access to a good teacher and are set on practicing taijiquan, go for it.

You can learn the postures and moves reasonably well.

Learning martial principles and application, not so much.

There are many subtleties that have an important impact on the benefits you derive fromthe practice that require direct instruction.

Some of it has to do with how you learn and how effective a student you are.

I've met people who can't learn from a teacher!