Sign in to follow this  
Golden Dragon Shining

The Spiritual Poison of Christianity

Ludwig Klages is considered one of the intellectual founders of the modern environmental movement.  

However, his views are far harsher and more radical than most modern environmentalists, particularly those in America. He saw modern society as a basically evil force in the world.  He saw Christianity as an enormous spiritual poison in the soul of the world.

He warned of a terror to come if radical reforms were not made, not only in the physical world but in the world of the spirit.  For example, he believed that the natural landscape was an essential part of human identity. He claimed that thousands of years of folk traditions were rooted to the trees, wells, and springs of the Earth. What happens to this cultural identity when the landscape is destroyed? In his Man and Earth speech made in 1913, he explains that the roll call of the dead would far exceed the list of fallen animals. The destruction of the surrounding landscape had resulted in the death of a cultural identity. "Where is now the intricate richness of traditional costume, in which every folk could express its own nature, on its own landscape? (Klages, Man and Earth)."

Klages was arguing that these ancient traditions are a core part of our being. Without nature or tradition, man becomes a source of global evil. 

Klages was talking about a culture of life versus a culture of death. The ancient cultures tied to the land venerated and respected life. They understood that their own destiny was connected to the Earth. For example, if the Greeks wanted to construct a bridge, they would beg the river deity to pardon this deed and then offered a sacrificial libation of wine. In ancient German lands, it was an offense to shed the bark of a living tree. This offense was often matched by the shedding of the offender's blood. Yet in the Modern world, man sees these traditions as a childish superstition. "[Man] forgets that the interpreting of apparitions was a way of scattering blooms around the tree of an inner life, which shelters a deeper knowledge than all of science. (Klages, Man and Earth)."

THE SPIRITUAL POISON OF CHRISTIANITY

Klages believed that the destructive aspect of modern culture was rooted to the teachings of the Old Testament. "For the devout Christian, only man has a right to live (Klages, Man and Earth)." In the Abrahamic traditions, all of the Earth is created as a possession for mankind to own, "Then God said, 'Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.'” (Genesis 1:26).

A millennium of Christianity in the Westernized World convinced man that he could use nature as he pleased without consideration for the consequences. Klages argued that the hostility towards images enforced in the Middle Ages helped sever the bond between man and the soul of the Earth. Therefore it is fitting that the industrial revolution emerged in the Christianized, Western World. It was here that the inventions were accumulated and the Scientific Method was developed to perfection. And it was in this world that the method of perpetual imperialism, the slaughter of non-Christian races and the conquest of the whole of nature began to take place. 

Klages believed that Christianity resulted in a "terrifying megalomania" that allowed the bloodiest offenses against life to be permitted by God's chosen - even commanded! The Old Testament itself demanded the people of Israel to kill all non-believers in their path. "When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations...then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them and show them no mercy." (Deuteronomy 7:1-2, NIV. 1). "Do not leave alive anything that breaths. Completely destroy them...as the Lord your God has commanded you..." (Deuteronomy 20:16, NIV. 1).

Therefore it was fitting that the culmination of Christianity was the Industrial Revolution. Klages argued that the modernized, industrial world was not a departure from Christianity. It was an extension of the Christian World. Much like Christianity, the ideals of the industrial world permitted people to exterminate any life that got in the way of "progress." This attitude has resulted in a mass genocide of indigenous peoples, as well as non-human life. "From time immemorial, the 'love' of the Christian has never prevented him from persecuting religious pagans with a murderous hatred; and this same 'love' doesn’t prevent him even now from abolishing the sacred rituals of conquered tribal cultures." (Klages, Man and Earth). According to Klages, "Christian Love" was the love of only "God's Chosen" - to the expense of everything else.

In addition to subverting and destroying the lives of the indigenous people around the world, the death toll of non-human life is unfathomable. Much nature was already disappearing in Klage's time. One was privileged to hear the call of the quail, even though these birds once numbered in the many thousands. The call of the quail lived in the songs of the common people as well as many Germanic Poets. Yet now this call, as well as the songs of many other species, was coming to an end.

The Industrial period of history has presided over the greatest destruction of life seen since the Permian Extinction 250 million years ago. There is absolutely no way that this period can be considered a good period or even a productive one. This is a bloody time in history, that has an even bloodier price tag ahead. 

THE TERROR TO COME

Of course, the superficial errors in all of these systems, sects, and tendencies will not be with us for very much longer ~ Ludwig Klages

We live in a world order that has strayed far from the natural order. We are like a spring that has been pulled all the way back. As a result, we will snap completely in the other direction. This civilization will be flung into a dissent of chaos. Klages foresaw disastrous results for this Modern Age mentality. In Klages's "Man and Earth" speech, he made predictions of impending doom. Perhaps this doom was a reference to the millions slaughtered in World War II. Or perhaps it was predicting an even greater massacre ahead, the results of the criminal destruction of life on the planet. Klages made the point that the preservation of nature is necessary for the survival of human life. In the wake of such great environmental destruction, one can predict a blood bath as the results of "progress."

A brutal reassertion of primeval values will be a part of the revolt against the Christian, Industrial World Order. Part of living in "civilization" requires the civilized to suppress their natural and primitive desires, to banish these feelings to the subconscious mind. Yet Klages states as the current world falls apart, the masks of "civilized" society will fall off, and the brutal passions of suppressed desire will spring to the forefront. A burning frenzy will burst with flaming torch held high into the pandemonium, as if the inferno itself had been loosed upon the world (Klages, Man and Earth).

Klages predicted that an ancient sun would shine through the destruction. From the death of the old world, a new one would emerge. Yet as civilization falls apart, the reorganization of what is to come after will not be a peaceful affair. Man thought he could correct the volatility of nature with the cold precision and logic of machinery. Yet industrialization has been responsible for destroying and poisoning many of the natural resources we depend upon as humans to live. When there is very little nature left to sustain life, people will realize that they need to respect the Earth in order to survive - just as our ancestors did. The Old Ways will return to wash away the Synthetic Values of the current world order. But only after the bloody transition period that Klages predicted. http://greenlinefront.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/ludwig-klages-spiritual-poison-of.html?m=1
Edited by Sionnach
  • Like 1

I consider myself an environmentalist (on the lighter side anyway), but dislike extremists.  Thus its good to know 100+ years after his dark predictions of natural apocalypse.. nature's brutal revenge in all its fiery frenzy- never happened.   Humanity is going strong, more populous and living longer lives.    

Not that we shouldn't work protect and clean the environment.  I wonder if his calls did any good in the 1910's and 20's?  Novels like 'The Jungle' in 1906 by Upton Sinclair were important in showing how Chicago slaughter houses were dehumanizing workers and spreading disease.  More on point 'Silent Spring' 1962 Rachel Carson was instrumental in waking people up the monumental smog and degradation that was building up.

Did his call do any good?  People were shocked when the TV show Mad Men set in the 1960's showed the mother after picnic telling the kids, to clean up by throwing the waste in the forest.  Such action was common place back then.  We needed the imagery of the Indian with the tear in his eye to get people's awareness.

While we have a long way to go, people don't litter as much.  Kids are, sometime obnoxiously in the forefront of the environmental scene.  Maybe to keep things balanced we do need loud extremists to balance out the very quiet  worst polluting offenders.

Edited by thelerner

Speaking as a Psychologist, Extremeist did not get the attention they deserved growing up through the developmental stages. And therefore are ragefull about it. They are mad at their parents for being self centered and detached from them. Extreme needs to be balanced with appropriate behaviors and rehtoric.

Speaking as a Lecturer once employed by a University to teach Criminology, I can share that Christianity has been and still is Autocratic in their mission to control the masses through fear. Historically, that fear was engendered through inquisition and torture for the sole purpose of material gain to include property without legal restraints or mechanisms of popular control.

Two books I would recommend are "Why I Am Not a Christian," Bertrand Russell, "No Meek Messiah," Christianity's lies, Laws and Legacy, Michael Paulkovich.

You know, it is fine to point out the evils of organized religion and bash institutions because their history is tainted.

All trees do not grow up straight.

Jesus is by far the most powerful loving being I have ever met and have had a personal relationship with ever since.

I met HIM in a previous life. HE healed my club feet.

I met HIM again 18 years ago in this life. HE is always there, has been and will always be.

Although I try very hard, I still get upset with people whom have not met HIM and point to crooked branches.

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 2

It´s very difficult to say Christians are this or that because, inevitably, some are and some aren´t.  They are a pretty varied group -- it´s not like they all agree with each other.  Among their ranks you´ll find both haters and lovers, close-minded fanatics and mystics with wisdom ocean-deep.

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks that Christianity is solely responsible for dominion over Earth needs to do a little reading on the history of... pretty much everywhere else. My specialization is in East Asia... there have been plenty of tragedies of the commons there. In China someone sneezes and millions of people die.

Humans reproduce like any other animal and our intelligence regarding our own resource management and respect for nature is an evolutionary process.

Personally, I would blame capitalism and its predecessor mercantilism, in combination with over population, for the ills of today's world. Whether Christianity taught "go forth and be fruitful" or not, people are still going to have babies. In the poorest countries, people have a lot of children because most are expected to die before adulthood, so they have more to increase their chances.

Improve conditions for people and increase access to education, and suddenly a lot of these issues improve. And you know what? In my times in South America, I learned that the Church often provides more than the government. More food, more sanctuary and housing, more community, more services, more everything.

Christianity is not to blame. Certain Christians are. In the west we have the privileged luxury of having these philosophical debates but in the developing world religious institutions are often the difference between life and death. It's not so black and white.

Edited by Orion

It´s very difficult to say Christians are this or that because, inevitably, some are and some aren´t.  They are a pretty varied group -- it´s not like they all agree with each other.  Among their ranks you´ll find both haters and lovers, close-minded fanatics and mystics with wisdom ocean-deep.

Thread is about Christianity - not Christians,  The core doctrine is whats at fault, not  the wide range of individuals (some dont even accept the core doctrine ) . 

• Like 1

I think the problem is Sionnach's choice of words. Does he mean by Christianity the organization, or a set of beliefs which define the organization e.g. the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth or its beliefs and practices.

When I was told that I could not touch the host because I had not gotten an annulment, the Deacon was referring to Doctrine and the Catechisim. The Deacon referred back to the Church when he answered my question of how is it that I cannot touch the host. To me his answer was the decision of one person with everyone falling in line with the decision. Autocratic.

My criticism pointed toward the Church's Political power, or any Christian Organization such as the Protestants citing the Church of England.

Tiebetan-Ice your experience of meeting Christ in another life would sorely be questioned by the Catholic Church. Protestans and Atheists do not believe in the Sacraments which Jesus instituted, nor do they believe in miracles. According to the Catholic Church's Catechism to practice the I Ching, or any new age conduit, or to say that you were able to experience another life. would be considered heresay and subject to inquisition, torture, and death in the 1500's.

The writer is correct to an extent, but environmental collapse has been common to complex societies even before Christianity. Most pre-industrial empires went bust because they deforested their local environments and overtaxed the soil.

Edited by Enishi
  • Like 1

Regardless of how things played out with everyone ; there is an underlying concept in Genesis ( 1:26 ) that seems the OPPOSITE  of many if not all indigenous teachings. 

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

​Domination -    yet indigenous teachings offer the view that mankind is part of creation  and how to live in harmony with nature.  

However, before this concept arose ,  the source material  of much of the Bible  ( Zoroastrianism ) seems to have a respect  and consideration for the environment *  ....  so I wonder how this domination thing got in there ? 

*  Some examples:

Waste was disposed in impervious stone-lined pits where it degraded naturally through exposure to the sun (sometimes aided by lime) without polluting the surrounding land and water.

Household waste was disposed in stone or stone-lined pits adjacent to a home (Vendidad 17.2.1).

Community waste was placed in stone or stone-lined pits in designated areas.

Settlements were constructed away from the banks of streams. -  According to Herodotus (c. 430 BCE): "They (the Persians) never defile a river with the secretions of their bodies, nor even wash their hands in one; nor will they allow others to do so, as they have a great reverence for rivers." Strabo, Book XV, Chapter 3.16, (written 17-23 ACE) states: "For the Persians neither urinate, nor wash themselves, in a river; nor yet bathe therein nor cast therein anything dead or any other thing that is considered unclean.

Fires, athra/atash, were made from selected dried woods and other materials that produced the least amount of smoke.

In order to prevent rotting flesh from contacting the soil, dead bodies were either placed in stone tombs above ground level, or exposed to birds (in towers placed on hill tops or surrounded by lush gardens) who ate the flesh, after which the bones disintegrated to a harmless powder.

• Like 1

Nungali, you are the first to be recognized by me to be an A student in the citations you have made to defend your position. :)

Sign in to follow this