I'm still trying to figure out if weightlifting will help open chi channels. I already know how to do weightlifting so that's why I'm asking about it. I read in Bill Bodri's Little Book of Meditation that exercises to open the legs, shoulders, and butt are beneficial because these areas are hard to open chi wise. So wouldn't that make weightlifting a good thing to practice along with yoga, chi gong, or whatever exercise style best fits the user? I soon wish to get into Yogani's advanced yoga practices and take yoga classes at college. The AYP system seems to help people and it seems pretty simple so I figued why not give it a shot. I like structure to some degree. Almost everyone in college goes to the gym (mostly males) and I know there has been forums about it, but I just wanted to throw in my thoughts and current stage of discovery. One reason I'm considering getting into lifting again is because my left glute is always tight. I was thinking about sticking to basic movements like the pull up, push up, goblet squat, and deadlift for the most part just to help with overall flexibility and circulation. Maybe lifting again will help me with the tightness in my left glute? I also find myself attracted to stimulants such as marijuana (although I have not been smoking) and reading books a lot lately and figured this may help me get more grounded into my body. I also think maybe I should be meditating into my dan tien or concentrating on a mantra during meditation as following my breath through my nose is not that beneficial to me at this stage.

Sorry for my constant thread posting guys and thanks for the help :)

Edited by Chi Boy

Exercise opens the channels, definitely. Weightlifting is one of the best forms of exercise - it actually improves bone density.

The only time it doesn't open the channels is if you're lifting too much and tearing muscles, being sore afterward. In my opinion, it should be kept at a moderate level of intensity and weight, and not be taken anywhere near the extreme.

• Like 2

The only time it doesn't open the channels is if you're lifting too much and tearing muscles, being sore afterward. In my opinion, it should be kept at a moderate level of intensity and weight, and not be taken anywhere near the extreme.

So calisthenics would be a perfect alternative because you dont really get sore from calisthenics?

• Like 2

So calisthenics would be a perfect alternative because you dont really get sore from calisthenics?

Well, you could...lets say you do as many pushups as you can right now. If you haven't trained a lot and built a good foundation of doing pushups, then you will tear things.

The key with any type of exercise is to start really easy and very gradually build up. Then once you're doing well at it, don't go to extremes or "push the envelope", either with increasing force, or the amount of repetitions (overuse injuries).

• Like 1

By what mechanism would weight-lifting "open" acupuncture meridians?

Which type of tissue is flowing qi more - hard tissues, or soft?

How many qigong practices involve weight lifting to open qi flow?

Not many!

High resistance weight training will increase some hormones, like testosterone.

Which means the body is made to use up raw materials and hormone precursors.

Some of this contributes to qi activity, and some draws away from it.

Light movement and stretching are more efficient at improving qi flow.

We could call taiji and qigong "light movement and stretching".

We would not call modern "bodybuilders" qi masters.

In fact, people doing a lot of weight training can use qigong and taiji to avoid damage or recover from damage.

What kind of damage?

Lack of qi flow, essentially.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Weight training and resistance training is not the same concept. Weight training is specifically designed to increase the weights until you tear up muscles and fascia and the body repairs and reconstruct the tissues so that you obtain hypertrophy.

Resistance training (which can be anything from calistenics to some yoga postures or some exercises of hard qigong like zhan zhaung or horse stance) is designed to maintain a certain activity in the muscles so that they don't atrophy, it's purpose is just for maintenance.

Taichi and qigong are so various in practices that some styles may be resistance training while other may be relaxation and stretching so the point here is how much you use muscular strength and how much you relax and stretch. Of course you need both, one is Yin the other is Yang depending on how you look at things, but obviously in a healthy training regimen you need balance and to alternate the exercises just like Yin Yang they alternate and follow each other.

If you do only one thing like Qigong in only one way that is a recipe for disaster because it goes to extreme and produces Qi sickness, if you go to the other extreme only weight lifting just for the sake of muscular hypertrophy will produce other problems which technically are also Qi sickness but in the opposite direction. 

Qi is a very fine balance between biological processes and chemical reactions in the body and any extreme is bad for Qi. QI does not circulate only through "meridians" but also through blood, lymph, interstitial fluids, fascia, digestive pathway, respiratory pathway so Qi is basically everything your body is doing to keep you alive and healthy.

• Like 2

Just my experiences and observations:

I bench, dead, squat, and sometimes lift stones. When I do those things my energy flows a lot stronger, I get more grounded, I get healthier on all levels, more emotionally centered, smarter, and I find I can apply my spiritual growth better to mundane matters. None of this is new. Before weights were manufactured people used stones and twisted tree branches. All the cultures did this. Jesus and Joseph were carpenters/masons as was Noah. Hard work ("kung fu" in Chinese) has a long history of bring cross-culturally associated with energy flow and wisdom in general.

The naysayers tend to be weak.

• Like 3

Does weight lifting open the channels?  I´m no expert but I bet it´s better than sitting on the couch watching TV.  Seems to me that anything that gets us in touch with our bodies has got to help.  So it´s probably best if done mindfully, connecting awareness to the physical sensations.  And I agree with Aetherous here -- moderation is key.

• Like 3

Just my experiences and observations:

I bench, dead, squat, and sometimes lift stones. When I do those things my energy flows a lot stronger, I get more grounded, I get healthier on all levels, more emotionally centered, smarter, and I find I can apply my spiritual growth better to mundane matters. None of this is new. Before weights were manufactured people used stones and twisted tree branches. All the cultures did this. Jesus and Joseph were carpenters/masons as was Noah. Hard work ("kung fu" in Chinese) has a long history of bring cross-culturally associated with energy flow and wisdom in general.

The naysayers tend to be weak.

Nice regimen. I find doing a lot of things irritates my right shoulder especially benching so I haven't touched that in a while. You dont hit muscles like biceps or calves much in that routine, but they could easily be hit lightly on the side.

Sounds about right as far as how I feel after I lift. I did some deadlifts with light weight because my muscles are tight from not lifting so I dont have the same mobility. Also a bit of stationary squatting position before doing some relaxation by lying down to meditate in the sauna. Felt great afterwards. I'm just not sure if I should be lifting to gain weight and eating a lot. Dont really know what the benefits of that would be other than a lot of extra muscle. Does this mean more energy as well? I see a lot of guys lifting a ton and then chowing down.

• Like 1

Protein's good. As for smaller muscles like biceps, forget the 1980s. You don't need an exercise for each body part. Our body parts are designed to work together as a unit. Go find a 200 pound rock and deadlift it. You'll gain new insight on how the muscles work as an integrated chain. Or, put 85% of what you can squat for 5 reps on the bar and knock out at least 20 reps. Even your face muscles will get stronger. You'll learn about jing and how willpower comes from your kidneys, too. You'll learn so much about your body and mind....

• Like 2

Good question.  Traditional internal training sometimes employs isometrics, like horse or other stances.  But, not really weightlifting.

I'm not even exactly sure how isometrics are intended to work, but I think the main goal is to somehow reduce internal resistances, not external resistances (weightlifting).

And from the other end, I don't think top weightlifters have developed any qigong-like side effects - which you think they would have noticed at that level?

So, just label me highly-skeptical...until proven otherwise (or not!), lol.

Edited by gendao

I personally do not like the weights. My training was always like classical body weight training, like squats, push-ups, sit-ups,  etc ... Now a few months ago I discovered movement training and it is really magic. Because of moving in completely new way of movements it activates a new connections in the brains. After practice I feel really amazing, sometimes I smile for no reason ...

I do it along qi gong practices two to three times per week and I recommend it highly.

Wot those who like to give it a try, go here The Floreio Project ...

• Like 2

I don't think top weightlifters have developed any qigong-like side effects

Well, two things...

1) Top weightlifters are the ones who go to the extreme and don't stay moderate.

2) No one is saying that exercise does the same thing as qigong...only that it opens the channels. A side effect of that is good health.

Look at someone who does conventional exercise (like moderate resistance training etc), and then look at someone who practices qigong (like zhan zhuang)...actually, the conventional exerciser will have a healthier appearance.

I personally do not like the weights. My training was always like classical body weight training, like squats, push-ups, sit-ups,  etc ... Now a few months ago I discovered movement training and it is really magic. Because of moving in completely new way of movements it activates a new connections in the brains. After practice I feel really amazing, sometimes I smile for no reason ...

I do it along qi gong practices two to three times per week and I recommend it highly.

Wot those who like to give it a try, go here The Floreio Project ...

Wow this is pretty awesome. Learn to move like a monkey! Too bad I've got carpal tunnel lol.

• Like 1

Wow this is pretty awesome. Learn to move like a monkey! Too bad I've got carpal tunnel lol.

Exactly, I feel something like of snakelizardmonkey ... lol ... hahahaha ...   :P 

Maybe your carpal tunnel will go away after such a stuff ... who knows ... 

• Like 2