Jah2075

Spring Forest Qigong and Small Universe in Full Lotus

Hi all...

I've purchased SFQ level one as I have bipolar disorder and wish to use this system to increase and balance my energy levels as I spend two thirds of my time fatigued/depressed.

I have perused the board's regarding SFQ, and their are lots of mentions of performing the small universe meditation whilst sitting in the full lotus position. As I cannot do even half lotus this is currently quite a struggle.

Is it ok to do small universe in a chair? Should I even be attempting it this early on in my practice?

Any advice is gratefully received...

Thanks for responding Leif...but if I don't do the small universe with the standing active exercises of SFQ, does that mean that I lose some of the potency of that system?

I've been doing SFQ standing exercises for a few months now without ever trying the small universe yet. I intend to build up the LDT well in advance of trying the small universe, and I have to say that the SFQ standing exercises are starting to create some definite signs of energy down there. During sitting meditations, I am able to re-direct focus in the LDT and get a mild heat and sometimes energy too. So I think that the standing exercises are potent in themselves. But I'm no expert yet

Thanks for responding Rakiel, did it take a long time to feel qi in your body by doing only the standing active movements?

I only meant to post it as a resource and opinion to be aware of, didn't meant to discourage you, sorry about that.

What do they say in manual you purchased? I believe originally public version of this system had people do the meditation simply sitting in the chair.

If full lotus is not in the DVD, I'd say just forget it for the time being, until you make some progress.

It seems they did some studies on people with bipolar disorder with this system, it'd be interesting to know what their regime was - ie. whether it included sitting meditations and for how long.

Leif you didn't put me off doing small universe, I had read that article before...it mentions mantak chia's version of small universe which is by all accounts 'energetically extreme'. The SFQ version seems to get better reviews and less issues, but is still perhaps too powerful for a beginner...

Edited by Jah2075

Thanks for responding Rakiel, did it take a long time to feel qi in your body by doing only the standing active movements?

No. But I was accustomed to energy work prior to pursuing qigong. After my first or second time doing SFQ, I could feel chi along the front channel and the hands esoecially

Edited by Rakiel

I'd recommend Bruce Frantzis' books "Tao of Letting Go" and "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" which are water methods.

It was the path Jane Alexander, who is a member of this forum, took to completely 100% heal her bi-polar and schizophrenia. She wrote about it in her book "Possessing Me: A Memoir of Healing", which is a very good read also.

I think I finally need to purchase that book. What puts me off doing the water/stillness method is the amount of time required, as Jane needed to stop working to do it...does the book detail the exact healing methods she did (I presume it was a mix of qigong and meditation?).

I think I finally need to purchase that book. What puts me off doing the water/stillness method is the amount of time required, as Jane needed to stop working to do it...does the book detail the exact healing methods she did (I presume it was a mix of qigong and meditation?).

Opening the Energy Gates consists of standing meditation with dissolving, cloud hands, 3 pivot sequences and a spinal stretch. The Tao of Letting Go just expands on the dissolving practice. Franzis is very detailed in the books and even though a movement seems simple on the outside, there's a lot that goes into it so it can take some time to learn.

From my understanding, Jane mainly practiced the dissolving method and poured her mania into really getting good at it, but it's clear from the book she practiced a fair amount of forms apart from the standing meditation, especially towards the end of her book (but lots of progress seemed to be made from standing/dissolving alone in the beginning).

• Like 1