Sign in to follow this  
Wood Dragon-Metal Horse

New training/teacher questions

So I am starting study with a new teacher soon. He teaches large frame long form Wu Taijiquan and Neigong/Neidan. I'm excited to finally have a teacher come into my life in person. Of course I'm not putting too much expectation into this but none the less it is interesting.

I wonder if any of you can recommend questions that I should ask him or myself? He seems pretty open and has been studying and practicing for over 35 years. His master was Master Ruan Rong-gen who I think learned from Wu Jian-Quan. I don't know anything about these people and haven't found much other than a wikipedia page on Wu Jian-Quan.

Yeah, so any questions you all think are important for me to ask him and myself before or during my new training?

Ask him if his Wu Style is internal, meaning are the Forms driven by the abdoment and back muscles. Are there quarter body movements, upper body movements? Does he teach the concept of Yin (nonmoving) and Yang (moving). Does he teach how to move the arm and the core body as a unit. Does he teach integration of Internal Discipline into Form Play, Fajin, Cai, Silk Reeling, Tight Compact Form, and Push Hands.

If there is a hesitation on any one of these questions, than I would be hesitant on making the commitment.

• Like 1

Ask him if his Wu Style is internal, meaning are the Forms driven by the abdoment and back muscles. Are there quarter body movements, upper body movements? Does he teach the concept of Yin (nonmoving) and Yang (moving). Does he teach how to move the arm and the core body as a unit. Does he teach integration of Internal Discipline into Form Play, Fajin, Cai, Silk Reeling, Tight Compact Form, and Push Hands.

If there is a hesitation on any one of these questions, than I would be hesitant on making the commitment.

Thanks, I'll ask. Brian found his website, does anything there answer any of this for you? It seems that yes he trains push hands, but I knew that.

I would ask him:

1. What are several key exercises/techniques you can do to kickstart and practice neigong outside of class?

2. What are the most important principles to master in order to defend oneself effectively? 

Edited by OldChi

Think like this. If he is a true deep master, his replies will reflect his level. You'll be able to fathom his responses if you have proper experience matching his level. The fact you are seeking advise from TTB suggests you don't have such experience, hence you won't understand his responses anyway. But by asking him 'mental' questions you could put a barrier between yourself and him.

I wouldn't ask him anything and just give it a try for a couple of months.

• Like 5

Think like this. If he is a true deep master, his replies will reflect his level. You'll be able to fathom his responses if you have proper experience matching his level. The fact you are seeking advise from TTB suggests you don't have such experience, hence you won't understand his responses anyway. But by asking him 'mental' questions you could put a barrier between yourself and him.

I wouldn't ask him anything and just give it a try for a couple of months.

That seems fair. It's not that I don't have some experience, just have experienced things before. I ask here and now because I seem to feel it is necessary and cannot come up with many questions, if any, that I feel are worth asking. He told me to have questions for a conversation after my first lesson. I'm trying to see if I agree enough with questions from you all in order to ask him.

If you have some none mental questions (whatever that is) I would love to know them.

What I will end up doing is having a conversation with him and if any of the questions you all have posted come to mind I will ask.

Mainly I am interested in questions about Taijiquan because I have never studied it. But it is helpful for me to have others input and get my feelings flowing when trying to converse about Neigong.

I would ask him:

1. What are several key exercises/techniques you can do to kickstart and practice neigong outside of class?

2. What are the most important principles to master in order to defend oneself effectively? 

These two questions seem to be right on track with what I was thinking. Thanks!

• Like 1

In my opinion, there is little value in trying to come up with questions that don't exist in your mind.

That seems unnatural and forced. 

A teacher has come in to your life - that is very special; let him/her teach you.

Listen closely and practice at least a little every day. 

If a question occurs to you that you cannot answer yourself and seems important, then ask.

Taijiquan and the Daoist arts are about naturalness and spontaneity.

I have a friend who had the rare opportunity to have a personal meeting with a high lama in Nepal. She couldn't think of anything important enough" to ask him and forced a question, something along the lines of which practice should I focus on?" The reply was something like, "How should I know? Why not just sit with me, enjoy our tea and cookies and this beautiful morning together?"

Taijiqun is an experiential art, it is about direct experience, acquiring, and cultivating mental and physical skills, not about conceptual knowledge so much. The conceptual mind doesn't know how to take a back seat and constantly interferes. Practicing taijiquan and neigong to a large degree are about putting the conceptual mind in its proper place.

I'd suggest you not worry too much about questions and answers right now and simply apply yourself to the practice whole-heartedly.

Most of all - enjoy!

PS - one tip: if you are trying to learn a movement that seems complicated, focus on the footwork and stance first - watch the teachers footwork, stance, and waist movement. If you get the lower body movement, everything else comes from that naturally. We generally focus more on the upper body movements and that can make it a bit more difficult to learn, at least that was my experience.

• Like 2

There does not seem to be any forced effort in asking a carpenter what he will charge for the work you are asking him to do and complete.

• Like 1

Steve, thank you for your opinions and tip. I really do appreciate it!

Jim, I like your analogy. I also enjoy your pattern of communication..

Thank you to everyone who has made me offers of their own. It is great to finally be a part of a community in which I feel relation.

Beyond questions, look to the senior students in the class.  How are they?  They are most likely what you'll become.  What is the wah within the class, the atmosphere and feeling during practice? 

I went to a Kung Fu/Tai Chi class and watched the students. Most of them were children. There was two young men that stood out like a sore thumb. The students in my class did not appear professional.

The instructor seemed professional and about money as well. When he demonstrated push hands with me, my skill level was comparable.

My present Master is not about money. He is about passing it on. I think attraction rather than promotion works better.

:PI am not sure that I am calm or centered enough or clear headed to always weed out or respond well enough to all that is here.

there is a balance and I am looking find that.

I want to share-not sure if I am bullseye clarity? :)

my morning is happy recognition that I see the turtle again. that is fun for me. I am NOT the turtle clearly> :P

but I am thrilled that it makes its appearance out my window in the mornings when I take a quick scan. It lives in the vicinity of the hillside behind the condo.

I think to offer it lettuce-making up all kinds of bullshit like it will be mana from heaven...he walks passed it by the time I get back upstairs and check on whether or not he will eat it. he did not

my morning moves along-I look out the window later he has made it surprisingly far over to the salt brick-but I am not sure if he used any of it

I like nature. I like my mish mash of what it is to me or not.

Is it studying eastern philosophy?

loosing my train of thought-

yesterday was recognition that I need to stay focused on no the mish mash but the drive to become healthy, clear headed,

I am thankful for the first time in my mind it seems in this lifetime.

I do not know how to expand on that.

I just feel on track to better ways of managing life and gratitude for the journey.

I enjoy my own coincidental gift with utilizing what seems like in my heart and mind to go about using what minimal knowledge I have of sticking my legs up the wall for circulation and a lessening of trapped energy-

as I have a more quiet mind-literally I am lying my head on the floor see the dove

and it comes to my mind about my darling child---I google search the song by sinead occonor

and my gift is the karmic debris pattern :wub:

the video is incredible--the words are gentle

a time in my life where music takes precedence like a time capsule.

the imagery is like I described

blue circle, inside is white dancing ballet dancer

a wave curl and three circular nucleus cells-

am I ever on the correct path not that I have doubt but yes fear-

looks like this this morning-

turtle clarity intuitive wisdow-and how would I know really?

then it goes to

like Imogenheap zombie jamboree :angry:hallelujia song

but the words fit perfect.

I think the heart understands clearly.

not sure if I mentioned the designated place to find in my home for daily practice-

I do not know at times how to proof read but I will contemplate again today.

ok passing it on is great!

this is serious

the atmosphere and feeling during practice-

you describe it! ;)ha

how do I clarify that?

not funny though

but funny

I have to get passed my own thoughts to see yours-

I get in my own way

can't spin off into George Micheal romance-turn a different corner- :wub::D

the song I wont share you-vasudeva

blue star trinidad

the ring around the doves eye

wah in the room

I ate a kiwi

I am angry about my life

the walls were already painted amber waves

I was sore on every muscle in my body-

you are kind and gentle and were that day so many years ago-

I can remember it clearly

where I am what room-all these transactions

and it is like I am sitting in your lap

but that I can see here face that day

and the longing being met

in a storm from weeks ago of energetic overload

it is very clear-are you asking for distillation?

or the nutty embodiment?

astral travelling?

I am visual person

so I see the rooms

You

Standing next to my love

And she vanishes

What would it be like

What  would eyes see

A wisp of a breeze

The leaf disappears

So unique in itself

Where can it be

Retiring at night

After night prayer

So awful to pass her bed

Silence deafening, thoughts racing

Where do I go from here

Moments count, never taken for granted

Fill my eyes with your sweet presence

Touch me while it is today

Deepen the etching within me...of you

pretty soon my sadhana is going to be private:-)

thanks for your words

I do not really enjoy public forums

but they can be fun at times

and I am sure learning

about my Appalachian ways is fun :unsure:

pretty soon my sadhana is going to be private:-)

thanks for your words

I do not really enjoy public forums

but they can be fun at times

and I am sure learning

about my Appalachian ways is fun :unsure:

Please example. It sounds framented and a little disjointed.

my Appalachian ways-

watching sunflowers finally show a little flower

simple joy

I had no idea that from feeding the birds black oil sunflower seed-

that remnants would begin the sprout into flowers

my joy is simple

my mind is not

my body is a mystery

I found my muscle study cards from massage school-

I will relearn all the muscles, origin and insertion, nerve innervation,etc.

because I could make a fortune in this town! :-) 

Sign in to follow this