skinny852

Leg Tension in Sitting Meditation

Hi folks,

I started out doing breathing meditations in a standing position. I would also like to doing the breathing meditations while sitting in a chair. I guess my reason is to be able to do the meditations for longer, but I also hope it would help my with sitting posture in general.

My difficulty is that I find my upper abductors, right below my pelvis are very tight and not matter how I shift around remain very tense. 

Any ideas on a reason for this? More importantly, any ideas on how to relax these muscles while sitting?

Thanks.

How long are meditating?

Have you tried sitting on the floor on a zafu?

A short sun salutations yoga routine might help you stretch and lengthen your hip flexors, relieving some of the tension in your abductors and groin. Frog stretch is a good one for the groin. Pay attention to your piriformis muscle too by doing swan pose. 

Best of luck and much love.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

I started out doing breathing meditations in a standing position. I would also like to doing the breathing meditations while sitting in a chair. I guess my reason is to be able to do the meditations for longer, but I also hope it would help my with sitting posture in general.

My difficulty is that I find my upper abductors, right below my pelvis are very tight and not matter how I shift around remain very tense.

Any ideas on a reason for this? More importantly, any ideas on how to relax these muscles while sitting?

Thanks.

I've found that in seated position opening and closing the joints helps pump the circulation and prevents tension. But we should not force the seated position.

There are exercises to open the kua...which will allow one to sit for longer periods of time. The snake creeps down form is good for it, as is the separate and kick form of yang style tai chi.

Also should do the baddha konasana (butterfly pose) and the eka pada rajakapotasana (king pegion pose). Both are great to open up the inguinal area (kua). Slowly the area will relax. Key is to not force but relax into these forms and asanas.

• Like 1

Start by exercising the Jing, your connection to this planet. I will clearly discuss this in the Bagua circle walking book I am currently writing. Westerners are nurtured in an environment of sitting on chairs and adopting poor posture since childhood. Our ancient ancestors didn't suffer from this problem. Asians, Middle Eastern, nomadic, desert dwellers and indigenous people who spend a lot of time in a squat position have their leg meridians naturally open.

A very useful video to watch. Daniel Vitalis discusses the same issue. :)

Edited by Gerard

Start by exercising the Jing, your connection to this planet. I will clearly discuss this in the Bagua circle walking book I am currently writing. Westerners are nurtured in an environment of sitting on chairs and adopting poor posture since childhood. Our ancient ancestors didn't suffer from this problem. Asians, Middle Eastern, nomadic, desert dwellers and indigenous people who spend a lot of time in a squat position have their leg meridians naturally open.

A very useful video to watch. Daniel Vitalis discusses the same issue. :)

Well, note that in the Western Cultural Matrix, "getting grounded" is actually conditioned as a PUNISHMENT in childhood!

13620174_10208360680388549_3657940773393

Squat toilets are snubbed as "backwards"...

squat_toilet_shanghai.jpg

And being barefoot is also used as an insult by feminists!

b31917f40085b0b7bb69b0f9c96ce92a.jpg

But in reality, who's living backwards???

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Strangely I have noticed I have the same tension in my abductors when I am driving a car. I am driving much more in the city I just moved to. Might be somewhat related.

I do have a weak core, I believe, which also might put more tension on that region just below the kwa.

Will continue my tai chi practice, incorporate some stretching, and just be patient as my body slowly builds up.