Sign in to follow this  
blackstar212

Who here identifies as Taoist?

I do.  But then I identify myself as many other things too.  Like Anarchist, Atheist, Materialist, Dirty Old Man, etc.

• Like 4

I once thought of myself as something of a 'philosophical' Taoist, but 'real' Taoists told me that's not a real thing... and so I wasn't sure what I was.

If it turns out that 'philosophical Taoism' is a real thing after all, I'll be half of one. I don't know what the other half is.

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 3

I dont know if I am or not. I will leave that up to others to 'judge'   ;)

However I do live the life of a ' Taoist Magician '. 

Today ... I  may go fishing. I found a tasty grub on the damp path early this morning. The fishing gear is out on the porch. Later I may wander downhill to the river with the gear and grub. I will find a nice spot and drop the line in and let the current take it past the big submerged log that I know about.  The bass under there may decide to take it.

Or not ... in any case I will sit by the river for a while, learning more about the way of 'nature' by observing the flow of the river and the water through the rapids, the tiny azure kingfishers plunging in and extracting fish ... the movement of swimming eels .... 

ijsvogels%3D20jacht.jpg?template=generic

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 4

I once thought of myself as something of a 'philosophical' Taoist, but 'real' Taoists told me that's not a real thing... and so I wasn't sure what I was.

If it turns out that 'philosophical Taoism' is a real thing after all, I'll be half of one. I don't know what the other half is.

Wow. All of the above, perfectly. I feel silly saying 'me too' but I don't think I could say it better than you did.

RC

• Like 1

I have not met a human who is a static noun, a fixed thing. We are all of us, fluid verbs.

The labels we use for convenience may fit certain limited aspects of our overall fluid nature, at times, but will never aptly or fully describe something which is in its nature, beyond a static description.

Edit for spelinggz

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 5

I have not met a human who is a static noun, a fixed thing. We are all of us, fluid verbs.

What a concept!!!  I have done that with only the word (label) Tao.  "... a fixed thing." is very important here.

• Like 3

maybe I am, sort of by default  ;)

yesterday i was looking through an old cardboardbox with those things from the past that you keep taking with you...looking for something.

I found a handwritten copy of the TTC, had totally forgotten about it. Judging from the handwriting, I was probably about 16 years old when I wrote it. Nice find  :)

• Like 2

Re:

-----

"For those willing to "put themselves in a box" who identifies as Taoist?"

-----

"Identifies"?

This seems like more of an issue of modern, managed populations - coming from manipulators selling the concept of "persona" to consumers.

This is transcended in even the most basic understandings of taoism.

-VonKrankenhaus

Sign in to follow this