Sign in to follow this  
Albion

Can Tai Chi Be Practiced In a Wheelchair?

Friends in Dao,

Well, I've looked around other Daoist/Taoist forums, and I've never seen this question asked.

I am in a wheelchair. Actually I can stand for about 5 minutes, and walk for about 40 or 50 feet before I need to sit down again.

So, my question to you would be, can Tai Chi or Qi Gong be practiced by a disabled person in a wheelchair?

My main interest at this time is researching the Dao de Jing (Tao te Ching) and Daoist philosophy.

I have intensely studied the DDJ for many years now, and I would like to branch out into learning Tai Chi and Qi Gong. But I've never met or spoken with another Daoist who is disabled, or who is "differently abled"  (or as I like to put it).

I am really serious about learning Tai Chi and Qi Gong, but my studies thus far have been only scholarly pursuits, and I'd like to change that. Soon, if possible.

Please don't feel uncomfortable answering my question(s). Just speak up, and tell me what's on your True Heart. Thanks a lot, I appreciate that!

Your friend in Dao, Differently Abled Daoist

• Like 2

Hi D.A.D...

Yes of course!

For starters, just google "wheelchair tai chi" or "chair qigong," and you'll find plenty of DVDs, youtubes, and books.

I'm not familiar with any of them, but if you check the Amazon reviews, you're bound to get some idea about the relative merits of the different teachers and programs.

At different stages in my qigong practice, I've done a good bit of qigong lying flat! This was internal work, but moving qi is moving qi.

Once a qigong teacher told a friend who was pretty weak with CFS that she should do a little standing qigong every day, not to exhaustion, but a little every day, and that her stamina would grow. He was talking about "standing like a tree" or Zhan Zhuang.

Good luck with this, and I hope you'll let us know how it goes for you!

• Like 3

Dear Andrei and Cheya,

​  Thank *both* of you so much for replying!  I have pretty serious spinal stenosis, from (a botched) surgery damage, with resulting severe arthritis damage to my lower back. I've been in an electronic wheelchair for about 9 years now.

I need more surgery, but after my experiences with surgeries gone bad, I'm *very* reluctant to try that route again. But eventually, it may not be my *choice*. Time will tell.

It's funny, when I dream, I'm STILL walking, and running. This is a long ways from my former life as a backpacker, and a mountaineer..........."but when life gives you lemons"............you know the rest.

I had never even THOUGHT to look on You Tube for sitting Tai Chi, and sitting Qi Gong, I so much appreciate those links and I will go find some more really soon.

I had cruised through every Daoist/Taoist forum on the web, and found *nothing* about this subject!

Again, thank you both so much for your help!  Peace, Differently Abled Daoist

P.S. I still hold out HOPE for complete healing, but each year it seems (sometimes) more distant.

• Like 1

My mom is in assisted living at the moment.  They have a daily Chair Chi class. 

Hi friend,

Not that the following will apply to you:

Acupuncture and Post-Stroke Spasticity

But it gives you a good idea that acupuncture under the treatment of a highly skilled individual will defnitively speed up your recovery. Make sure you are fluid all the tie to avoid further Qi stagnation in the Yin level which is a pain to treat and it takes a very long time to heal.

This kind of practitioner (his passing is discussed currently in another thread in the General section) would be ideal for you:

Dr. Jiang Feng

In the meantime stay away from Western Medicine, while you possibly can. They are butchers, for sure...unless used for surgery following a traumatic event but even in that instance acupuncture and herbal medicine should be still applied.

I wish you the very best! :)

Edited by Gerard

Aye, I started sitting as I was unable to stand more than 2 minutes at a time. I stuck with positive and negative circle silk reeling exercises from Chen taiji and within a few weeks the compressed nerves in my lumbar spine were decompressed thanks to some major shifts in my vertebrae and the sciatica went away. I doubt your issue will be so easily resolved but it may help you.

• Like 1

one of the senior students of my teacher started out with juvenile reumatics and psoriasis.

He never told me but when I see how he is walking now i'm sure he started his adventure walking with crutches, maybe even a wheelchair. Psoriasis is gone, his walking is clearly somewhat strained but he has no need for crutches, can walk a normal distance and rides a bike.

I would advise you to find a teacher with a strong healing capability, teacher like that are like the sun for a cold body

Give it a real try and keep up your hope for improvement,

love Bes

• Like 1

Maybe also look into standing meditation which is done with different hand postures.It can also ve done sitting (in a chair) or lying down.It has an amazing healing capacity.There is a video on youtube of the progress of an old lady who isnt nearly able to walk... I will look if i can find it again.I can recommend the books by lam kam chuen (way of energy, way of healing....

Dear Cloud Hands, Grey to White (boy can my hair relate to that name!  lol), Blue Eyed Snake and Nature Beeing,

I want to thank you all for writing to me and especially for sending me links for energy work, at 'You Tube'.

I'm tired tonight, but tomorrow afternoon, I'll make a list of the books that I have, and those that I have on my 'wish list' about Tai Chi and Qi Gong.

If I wasn't so tired, I'd do it tonight, but I'm pretty bushed out.

I simply wanted to say "Thank You" to ALL of you who have written to me! It's uplifting and compassionate, and it's *very kind*, so THANKS!

Talk with you all again tomorrow!  From my True Heart, Differently Abled Daoist

• Like 1

Dear Friends in Dao,

I promised to write back tonight, and share with you the books that I’ve been reading

as of late.

Here they are:

1. Tai Chi In A Chair by Cynthia Quarta

2. The Tao of Taijiquan: Way To Rejuvenation by Hwa Tsung Jou

3.The Tao of Meditation: Way to Enlightenment by Hwa Tsung Jou

4. The Healing Promise of Qi: Creating Extraordinary Wellness Through Qigong and Tai Chi

5. This is the version of the Tao Te Ching that I use more then any other lately:

Tao Te Ching: A New Version for all Seekers, translated by Guy Leekly (this is a tremendously beautiful

version of the TTC! Perhaps the most beautiful one that I have ever read. And I’ve read MANY!)

6. Revealing the Tao Te Ching: In Depth Commentaries on an Ancient Classic

Translation and commentary by Hu Xuezhi

This is an unusual translation of the TTC, in that it uses the word “Qi” in many verses of his translation.

This is the ONLY version of the TTC that I’ve ever seen that does this.

7. The Secret Tao: Uncovering the Hidden History and Meaning of Lao Tzu

With a revised translation of the TTC by D.W. Kreger

8. Daoism Excavated: Cosmos and Humanity in Early Manuscripts 

By Wang Zhongjiang

I realize that the last 4 of these books are NOT about energy working, i.e. Tai Chi and Qi Gong.

But I’m wired as a researcher pretty much, and I have 2 more books on Qi Gong and Tai Chi, that I’m gonna purchase

soon, one of them is a book that one of you recommended  recently.

If any of you has any other book, or DVD on Tai Chi, or Qi Gong or any other Daoist energy workings,

please feel free to to recommend them to me.

Thank you all again so very much!  

Peace,  Differently Abled Daoist

And I have not forgotten that all of these standing forms, need to be adopted to a sitting style.

I'm not sure that I can do this, as I'm pretty much a beginner, but you never know until you *try* do you? And I'm pretty much ready, and willing to try!

Peace, D.A.D.

• Like 2

seems like your doing quite thorough research,

but, imho, even though doing chigong while sitting or lying down is not a problem, doing it with a full head is an impediment.

Not to say you should not read those books, but forget about them when you start doing your practices  ;)

love Bes

• Like 1

I would recommend way of healing or way of energy.What blue eyed snake said is right.The good thing about the lam kam chuen books is that he works a lot with pictures...not many words.But The little details also count...you can do every posture in a chair or lying down...Have a good journey with that!

Sign in to follow this