Hooded Stranger

disillusioned AYP guy

I like Sivananda's division of yoga here:

http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/fourpaths.html#raja

He does four paths and puts Raja Yoga and Hatha Yoga together. That makes a lot of sense to me, but some people put Hatha Yoga separate. You could have great scholarship fights regarding definitions about that if you like. If you like.

Everything I saw at AYP with the exception of Self-Enquiry was Raja Yoga as Sivananda defines it.

I am not a scholar, I am a practitioner.

You are not getting it. Now you have insulted Sivananda by saying that "Everything I saw at AYP with the exception of Self-Enquiry was Raja Yoga as Sivananda defines it."

You didn't understand how AYP does not teach one pointed concentration and that Raja Yoga does.

You don't understand that AYP has misunderstood Samyama, and dharana.

There is nowhere in AYP that teaches to fix the attention on one object and maintain that concentration. And that is precisely what Raja Yoga teaches, and Sivananda is no exception.

If you don't believe me, see for yourself:

This is Sivananda on "concentration" in Raja Yoga.

http://sivanandaonline.org/public_html/?cmd=displaysection&section_id=634&format=html (See section on dharana, direct link does not work)

Dharana or Concentration

1. WHAT IS DHARANA

Dharana or concentration is the fixing the mind on one place (object or idea)

NOTES

Dharana is the fixing of the mind on something external or internal. The mind can be fixed externally on the picture of Lord Hari, Lord Krishna or Lord Rama or on any other object or point. Internally it can be fixed on any Chakra or any part of the body or on any abstract idea. Having controlled the Prana through Pranayama and the Indriyas through Pratyahara, you should try to fix the mind on something. In Dharana you will have only one Vritti or wave in the mind-lake. The mind assumes the form of only one object. All other operations of the mind are suspended or stopped. Different objects of Dharana and their effects are given in the subsequent lessons. According to the Hatha Yogic school, a Yogi who can suspend his breath by Kumbhaka for 20 minutes can have a very good Dharana. He will have tranquillity of mind. Pranayama steadies the mind, removes the Vikshepa and increases the power of concentration. Fixing the mind on something is Dharana or concentration of mind. Dharana can be done only if you are free from the distractions of mind.

There is no practice in AYP that is like this: "The mind assumes the form of only one object. All other operations of the mind are suspended or stopped. ". Not DM mantra repetition, not the bastardized samyama, nothing. Yogani totally missed it.

Sivananda understands Patanjali's limbs of yoga and that is what he teaches. You don't appear to get it...

Why don't you go and read the whole section on Raja Yoga on Sivananda's site:

http://sivanandaonline.org/public_html/?cmd=displaysection&section_id=634&format=html

AYP is a fusion of customized hatha yoga, customized kundalini yoga with a mix of TM to take the energy overload right up into the brain.

The cars may look the same to the inexperienced beginner, but once you jump in and drive them for a while, you will see that not all cars are Jaguars.

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

Karl, that is amazing if I am hearing you correctly.  Am I hearing you that they 'watch' other online forums for dissenters from AYP at AYP moderator's forum?

What forum(s) do they watch?  I presume Daobums is one of them.  Where all the bad kids hang out.  :)

That is REALLY culty behavior if I am hearing you correctly, it sounds like what Scientology does.  They are always scanning the internet for anti-Scientology stuff.

If they are unhappy with what they see, do they visit the forum in question?  'Entryism'?  And defend the Master?

There were a couple of forums one being this one. I didn't get involved with the responses except to suggest that AYP should not require defence. It got quite heated at one time which was when I think it struck me that it wasn't quite what it portrayed itself and had gone beyond the simplicity of individual practice.

I actually do understand what Yogani is aiming at, as the forum should be a resource centre for those practising AYP. It isn't that different here. I don't practice at all these days, I'm a philosophical interloper, so I stay strictly to the general/off topic areas and have no wish to interfere in others practices in the specific forum areas. It makes for a more open minded area for those who are coming off practices, moving onto new practices/ just getting started.

Thanks Michael, you are a Good Man.  And Dr. Who is a good man too.

Not like the racist **** to his right.

It is with the help of people like you that we are integrating nicely.

P.S.  I can get TI vaporized for you if you want.

I should ban you, but...

Welcome to the forums! :)

TI,

I am losing patience for peeing contests. Particularly ones in which I win far too easily and in so few words of mine. You don't even 'give me a game'. This is my last post before I give you a 'personal ban'.

I'll address the substance of your post, giving you credit for making a mistake.

Yes,  the parts of AYP I covered is Raja Yoga as Sivananda defines it.  That is what I said.

I did not say that the parts of AYP I covered is Raja Yoga as Sivananda teaches it.

Your point "There is no practice in AYP that is like this" is true. Straw man though. No-one saiid that AYP covers all of Raja Yoga that Sivananda covers.

HS

I am not a scholar, I am a practitioner.

You are not getting it. Now you have insulted Sivananda by saying that "Everything I saw at AYP with the exception of Self-Enquiry was Raja Yoga as Sivananda defines it."

Actually, I wouldn't even say that AYP is Raja yoga, it is more like kundalini yoga without the shaktipat or personal guru that visits you in the astral plane, and TM thrown in just because...

• Like 1

Hi TI,

Yes, I would not disagree with you at all that that would be the common classification.  But in the most broad sense of Raja Yoga,  Kundalini Yoga (without the shaktipat or personal guru etc.) is part of it. Mantra yoga also fits in to Raja Yoga as I define it.

There are all sorts of approaches to mantra yoga. There are some that require the mantra to stay sharp, others encourage  its become indistinct.  Maharishi by no means invented the technique he calls TM.  He just branded his teaching of it as TM.

Thanks Michael, you are a Good Man.  And Dr. Who is a good man too.

Not like the racist **** to his right.

It is with the help of people like you that we are integrating nicely.

P.S.  I can get TI vaporized for you if you want.

Thank you for your kind words.

Please refrain from vaporizing members, that would be a violation of the few rules we have here. The mods will see to it themselves whenever we decide it's inevitable in a given case.

• Like 1

What bothers me is the community.  The control that Yogani has, and the information isolation.  AYP is an information island as far as I can see.  And Yogani's 'anonymity' doesn't sit right with me either.

Well, I guess it's a site specifically about AYP, and doesn't claim to be otherwise? 

So, it sounds like any other "rival" methods that start gaining too much traction there (like The Presence Process (TPP), for example)...will eventually get banned?

Edited by gendao

TPP was locked because they said it was a dangerous practice that lead to people overloading.

I told them AYP can lead to overloading as well if not done right with many examples.

I was told AYP does not lead to overloading and their were no examples.

I left it at that.

• Like 1