Sign in to follow this  
Jim D.

Unique Journey

Here we are again on the cusp of the transition between June and July. We have been fortunate here. There was lots of rain and cool temperatures in May. Plants and trees seem to love it. It was good to experience the changes ever so slowly since January.

Oddly, the season seem to change quickly as of July 4th. We'll be seeing "the fall selection, "Christmans in July (for some of us) and sales. Sales! Sales! Sales!. And more Sales! Have you ever noticed that someone is always yelling, "Hurry, this sale will end..." What so special about this statement is that slaes never seem to end. I don't think that in all the years I have been on Earth that I have known a time when someone wasn't selling something that didn't have a time limit on it. There just doesn't seem to be a break from one sale to the next. No matter what it is they're selling something.

How about clothing and the run around they get for just being clothing? From the the time it is manufactured to the time it hits the outlet store, a piece of clothing goes through many significant changes in the merchant's attempt to lure the customer in. For instance, at the point where a piece of clothing is initially displayed it is identified as retail. Once it ages to be 45 days old without being sold, it's description changes to reduced. When it reaches the ripe old age of 60 days, this reduced piece of cloothing is moved to the clearance table. At this point, it may have been already replaced by the newer model and been transfered to the outlet store because of some supposed imperfection that common man cannot detect. I have wondered what they mean by outlet store...what are they trying to let out?  And if it is not let out, what happens to it? It is here that clothing may be given an older and already used worn out title, reduced for clearance. And fuck me if it makes it to Labor Day without being sold. Because it is here where it is forever replaced by stylishly attractive winter clothing.

But wait! There can be a happy outcome to this story. St. Vincent DePaul may get a chance at it if he is he is lucky.  You see Vincent has the benefit of salvaging all season of clothing and for absolutley less. There are no sales, clearance tables, reductions in prices, exchanges, or newer model replacements. When you think about it, Vincent is a pretty accepting guy. He doesn't discriminate, segregate, capitulate, or arrive late. He just sits back and waits for old/discarded clothing to find its way to his store and then into some grateful person's closet.  The clothing he receives is not valued by how it got there or by how it served others. It is just valuable.

You know, I think I see some significant similarities between the way clothing is handled and the way people handle each other.

Well, if you mark something up 175% and then mark it down 35% you have put it on sale.  Right?

• Like 1

Marblehead. Forgive me for saying, that 100% is the maximum. 175% is not a matematical term.

The % scale only goes too 100.

Just a little side note. Sorry

Marblehead. Forgive me for saying, that 100% is the maximum. 175% is not a matematical term.

No, it isn't.

• Like 1

Statistics not being my thing, I can´t say for sure that Rune isn´t technically correct. But come on, I think everybody understood what Marblehead was trying to say.  I agree with Karl 175%.

Hehehe.  Maybe yours goes to only 100 but mine goes to infinity.

I do understand what you are pointing at.  When a athlete says they gave 110% they are just BSing because they cannot give more than they have.

However, if I buy something for $50 and offer it for sale for $137.50 I have actually marked up the price 175%

• Like 2

Ok. Im open too interpertations :) -50% ;)

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm just saying "However ..."

• Like 1

Actualy you have a profit of 64.5%, instead of an 175% advantage. That would be the correct result.

Sorry. Im wrong. On with the topic please.

Edited by Rune
  • Like 2

Yes it is :)

It depends on context. I couldn't answer more than 100% of the posts on this forum. However. If I only answered 1 post last year and 100,000 questions this year I could express that as a ration in percentage term as greater than 100%. I could answer as a multiplier or as a fixed number as well.

Sorry. Im wrong. On with the topic please.

This is one hellova journey we are on.  Unique indeed!

Nope.  Totally missed it.

But other people are just objects in a person's life.  This is true in the most part.  As long as they are useful and pleasant to be around they are kept.  When they become unpleasant or useless they are discarded.  Some never make it to the exchange table.  And others appear to have no value and are never even picked up and looked at.

• Like 1

Go to the head of the class MH. :D

Hehehe.  Reminded me of the song "You talk too much."  The last few seconds of the song he is saying "Yes Dear, I'm listening."  "Yes, Dear" and on and on and finally he says "Oh, shut up!"

Anyhow, where were we?

Sign in to follow this