Sooo due to some comments in another thread, I came across the topic of fasting. It only seems relevant that if I'm going to be practicing Brahmacharya (celibacy), I might as well start by testing my self control with regards to food.

I ate my dinner last night, and all day today I haven't had a bite of food. I like how it has been making me feel. Yeah, I'm not the highest energy today, but I've been feeling very spiritual and very blissful all day. I feel like I've been more in tuned with situations, and more my true self. It is also nice to step back and realize how thankful I am for the food I recieve. I think I want to start giving thanks for food before I eat it as well. My stepmom is Japanese, and her family says "tadakie mas" (idk about spelling) before eating as a way of giving thanks for the food and farmers that it came from. Fasting gives my body a chance to regenerate and cleanse apparently as well. I can also tell that next time I have a but to eat, which will be tomarrow, it will be the best bite I've ever had :) I've been drinking water all day and I took my liquid multivitamin as well, but that's it. I got the idea from a really amazing bum named Arramu and I am very thankful. I also want to fast one day per week or at least every two weeks.

What are you alls feelings towards fasting? Does anyone practice multiple days of fasting at a time? What kind of fasting have you all done?

Edited by Chi Boy

Then water is very important.Try to take about 2 liter of water while you are fasting.

Edited by Junko
  • Like 1

I do a 24 hour absolute fast once a week. No intake but air. I do lots of ZZ during that time and pray when I would've been eating. Its probably one of the most powerful practices I do.

• Like 1

What are you alls feelings towards fasting? Does anyone practice multiple days of fasting at a time? What kind of fasting have you all done?

Yes, Ive gone up to about a week a few times, as well as numerous few days here and there.  I dont really tend to eat tons of food in general though - usually just one small meal and one normal size portion, sometimes less.  Prolonged fasting can really help to change your body at a cellular level, but its also risky because of that.  Id suggest 3 litres of water per day while fasting, and its important to sip very often if possible, rather than gulping huge amounts a few times a day - the idea is that you want to dilute your remaining digestion as little as possible.  Also Id suggest ramping back up to solid foods when you end your fast, start with soups and stews, etc.  Something fully saturated with liquid.  Also make sure to eat a good number of probiotic foods when breaking the fast, as much as you can tolerate.

This is an area where going too extreme too fast can really fuck you up.  Build up to it.

• Like 1

During the fasting month of Ramadan devout Muslims practice fasting from dawn till dusk for a whole month. Some will not even swallow saliva during the fasting period. When the time comes to break the fast they usually begin by introducing a small amount of liquids and small amounts of fruits first, taking time before gradually increasing the intake of more solid nutrition into the body. I have many Muslim friends in the Far East, and i deeply respect their discipline and general attitude towards this practice. 

Since we cannot abstain from the intake of foods indefinitely, it may be worthwhile to consider a lifestyle that consistently promotes semi-fasting instead. This could mean different things for different people - for some, semi-fasting is where they practice eating only one meal per day, for others it could mean a gradual reduction in food intake or calories, while there are yet those who practice mindful abstinence, meaning they consciously bring an awareness to every observable action they perform so as to conduct their lives more meaningfully, and one of the areas they put emphasis on is the discipline to eat moderately with the aim of staying on top of impulsive cravings - these impulses are usually at the root of many of today's existential disarrays. 

• Like 2

I do a 24 hour absolute fast once a week. No intake but air. I do lots of ZZ during that time and pray when I would've been eating. Its probably one of the most powerful practices I do.

Sounds freaking powerful, what are some other practices you do?

During the fasting month of Ramadan devout Muslims practice fasting from dawn till dusk for a whole month. Some will not even swallow saliva during the fasting period. When the time comes to break the fast they usually begin by introducing a small amount of liquids and small amounts of fruits first, taking time before gradually increasing the intake of more solid nutrition into the body. I have many Muslim friends in the Far East, and i deeply respect their discipline and general attitude towards this practice.

Since we cannot abstain from the intake of foods indefinitely, it may be worthwhile to consider a lifestyle that consistently promotes semi-fasting instead. This could mean different things for different people - for some, semi-fasting is where they practice eating only one meal per day, for others it could mean a gradual reduction in food intake or calories, while there are yet those who practice mindful abstinence, meaning they consciously bring an awareness to every observable action they perform so as to conduct their lives more meaningfully, and one of the areas they put emphasis on is the discipline to eat moderately with the aim of staying on top of impulsive cravings - these impulses are usually at the root of many of today's existential disarrays.

Yeah, I totally agree. I've read a lot about fasting the last few days. Do people do the one meal a day thing every day or just some times?

Yeah, I totally agree. I've read a lot about fasting the last few days. Do people do the one meal a day thing every day or just some times?

This would hinge on various factors, Chi Boy. Personally i have no hard and fast rules, though thats not a bad thing too since one of the prime qualities that abstinence builds is discipline - The thing to bear in mind is not to push the body overly hard because some of the potential negative outcomes, which might not manifest immediately, are irreversible. I think pacing oneself in this practice is very important. If you have done any long-distance running you will know this principle well. 

For beginners i think its not advisable to dive too deep initially, and remember also that a simultaneous fasting of the mind is also something to incorporate as a wholesome cultivation model. 

Theravadin Buddhist monks keep very strictly to one meal a day. It is recommended that this meal be taken before noon i think. 

Sounds freaking powerful, what are some other practices you do?

Trusting God, abiding in the present and doing whatever works, Zhan Zhuang held in deep horse stance, seated meditation with total concentration on LDT, no grains diet, tracking and survival for days/weeks in various wilderness. That's about it formally, but those produce lots of other spontaneous spin-off stuff.

• Like 1

Trusting God, abiding in the present and doing whatever works, Zhan Zhuang held in deep horse stance, seated meditation with total concentration on LDT, no grains diet, tracking and survival for days/weeks in various wilderness. That's about it formally, but those produce lots of other spontaneous spin-off stuff.

I've always wanted to go out into the wilderness, but I never know how to fend for myself food wise out there. I've also been strongly considering a no grain diet :)

I've always wanted to go out into the wilderness, but I never know how to fend for myself food wise out there. I've also been strongly considering a no grain diet :)

Follow the flow of the land downhill and everything you need will appear naturally.

Now, knowing what you need is the training part...

I think i found a way to make the first days of the fasting much more easy.The 2 days before the fast i ate just protein and fat(mostly nuts) and so i was already in ketosis on the second day of the fast...First day was a little hard, on the second day(today) i am having lots of energy and the high you get from fasting.