Hi all,

First off is there any way to delete a topic on the mobile version of this site? All I see are options to edit posts.

So I have started my journey of meditation, but I was wondering if it should be coupled with some form of weight training, or cardio. In Chia's Awaken Healing Light of the Tao, he says exercise is important, but that you lose chi when you get out of breath.

Should I just get into the sauna as exercise and do some Zhan Zhaung in there? I dont know if Im ready for Chi Gong or how I would practice it because I dont have wifi so I can't watch youtube really. Any good books that teach Chi Gong? Also I enjoy running on the beach by my house. Should I do that or would it mess up my energy to be out of breath? I used to go to the gym a lot, but I am a small guy so I have to eat a ton to gain any weight. I really don't think I need to be gaining weight, I just liked the effects of the gym (increased testosterone, increased vascularity). What are you guys' opinion on these topics. I know theres already a post about weightlifting which I have read.

P.S. Does anyone find Mantak Chia's 6 healing sounds or Inner Smile meditations useful?

Edited by Chi Boy
  • Like 1

Although many people here have voiced negative opinions about some of Mantak Chia´s sprawling system, I don´t think you can go wrong with the 6 healing sounds and inner smile.  Michael Winn, a universal tao head honcho of sorts here in the United States, has a free e-book on the inner smile you can download if you agree to join his emailing list.  Well worth it in my opinion.

I don´t have specific recommendations as far as exercise goes, except to say that I think physical activity is an important addition to almost everyone´s lifestyle program.

• Like 1

Personal opinion and advice so I hope I don't offend anyone here. I tried Mantak Chia's exercises 8-9 years ago when I just started being genuinely interested in these arts. It really messed up my system and I needed the help of a very accomplished master, and a whole year, to put my body back the way it was before. His techniques based on semen retention are especially dangerous. I recently talked to somebody who got psychotic and developed severe anxiety and depression issues from doing his techniques. My personal advice would be to stay as far away as possible from anything that comes from him or from his system. Maybe instead try something like Spring forest Qigong, a system that is a lot safer and haven't heard anyone yet getting sick from doing it or go find an authentic master like Jian Feng, Wang Liping or Waysun Liao and learn directly from them under their supervision.

Okay cool that's good to hear liminal. Even though the approaches feel a bit far fetched I may have to try them to see if they work for me. And Im gonna check out the free e-book. I have a book describing it perfectly. Have either of the methods helped your life?

TheDustAutumn, so you think I should go learn qi gong in person straight out of college before I start my career? Interesting, would I have to learn Chinese? And I wonder how long something like that would take.

You don't lose Qi if you get out of breath, or if you do it doesn't have any adverse effects on health or longevity, rather getting out of breath is objectively proven to help both.

It's one of the best things in the world to exercise. Although don't go to extremes...such as really high intensity interval training, running long marathons, lifting weights to the point where you're about to reach failure or if you're plateauing at a certain high weight for a long time, etc. It's kind of true that being out of breath means qi shortage...but it's only pathological if it's abnormal, like you walk up a flight of stairs and have to catch your breath for 5 minutes or something. Exercise trains us so that we gradually experience less shortness of breath with more activity.

Skipping exercise because someone who calls themselves a Daoist says to is a really bad idea. You'll be less healthy!

Doing zhan zhuang in a sauna sounds like a bad idea to me, personally. Zhan zhuang increases internal warmth on its own, and adding external warmth while promoting a sweat that doesn't come from movement...just seems like it could be harmful.

Sweet! Thanks for the info guys!!!

Ill probably start running. I dont really the whole point of trying to bulk a lot of muscle on. Any opinions on trying to gain weigh health benefit wise?

The next book Im getting (hopefully tomarrow) is The Little Book of Meditation thanks to the energy cultivators handbook thread. Hoping Ill learn to master meditation from that book over my next coming years. Any suggestions?

Okay cool that's good to hear liminal. Even though the approaches feel a bit far fetched I may have to try them to see if they work for me. And Im gonna check out the free e-book. I have a book describing it perfectly. Have either of the methods helped your life?

It´s been awhile since I´ve done any Universal Tao stuff, but yes, I found it very helpful.  In general, I followed Michael Winn´s version and have lots of his material.  I still do a form he promotes called Primordial Qi Gong and love it.  Michael has gone through and eliminated a lot of the more questionable old material that got people in trouble -- there´s no more pressing on the perineum to stop ejaculation, no holding the breath packing chi in iron shirt poses until you´re red in the face.  

Anyway, I think you´d be perfectly safe practicing the Michael Winn version of Universal Tao if that appeals to you.  And yes, there are lots of other great systems out there that might be just as good, like Spring Forest. So much depends on what you´re drawn toward.

• Like 1

Yeah, I like Michael Winn's Youtube videos, specifically the energy he exudes.

Not sure if I'm ready for chi gong. I really want to go into meditstion. Im posting a thread about my day of meditation in the newcomer forum or general discussion to ask for assistance.

Thank you all.

Maintaining the physical body through flexibility is an important addition to a training regime. Personal I enjoy Sun Salutations and try to do them every morning. Cheers.

Hallo! Lam kam chuen - way of energy is a great book to start.Running is great especially barefoot.And eat nuts, seeds and dried fruit.

Gonna look into Sun Salutations. I've enjoyed barefoot running my whole life so I think its a good time to start that up again. Wish I'd seen that post earlier while I was at the grocery store cause I didnt get any seeds, nuts or dried fruit. Aetherous has a thread on what to diet so that your energy channels won't get blocked and it's really changed my opinion of what I think I should be eating. Im gonna check out the book and video he posted.

Any one have diet suggestions though?

NATURE BEEING, I have B Frantiz's Opening The Energy Gates of Your Body on order. Is the book you suggested better?

I dont know the book you mentioned...so i cant tell...can only say that the lam kam chuen books are really special...not many words but pictures that transport the meaning...I am also for the no grain diet but for me it happened naturally over the years...recommend pseudo grains...buckwheat, quinoa and so on for the start...and later fruits nuts and lots of greens but i think you shouldnt force it to much...Have a great journey!!!

Sweet! Thanks for the advice!

I'll probably read The Way of Energy soon. I wanna get into Zhan Zhuang. Do you practice it? If so, do you think it will help my alignment? Seems like a nice introduction to chi kung.

I dont know the book you mentioned...so i cant tell...can only say that the lam kam chuen books are really special...not many words but pictures that transport the meaning...I am also for the no grain diet but for me it happened naturally over the years...recommend pseudo grains...buckwheat, quinoa and so on for the start...and later fruits nuts and lots of greens but i think you shouldnt force it to much...Have a great journey!!!

What about whole grains and oats? Aren't they supposed to be good for you?

I would say do it by intuition...search the net for raw food diet, paleo food ,and the text yoked to earth its about bigu diet and grain free living...did zhang zhuang for 7 years daily...in the morning i did sitting mediation.Did stand up to 4-6 hours haha.After that time spontaneous movement happened...switched into new positions..started spontaneous circle walking...tai chi and xinyi like movements happened by itsself...when i now go into standing position it directly starts by itself...so i cant really say that a i still stand...It will definetly help with posture...the details and relaxation are the key.On youtube you can find videos by lam kam chuen, they are called stand still be fit.For a better posture i also recommend a hard bed or a chinese or japanese one... Have a great time!

Ha ha. This is a great opportunity to direct someone to my own personal practice on ZZ

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/40428-miffymogs-zhan-zhuang-practice/?hl=zhan

It reviews all the main books on the topic and is a practice I'm still doing. I will admit, I've never stood for all that long - I do two 15 min stands a day with warm ups and warm downs before and after, but I have found it more beneficial for me than a seated practice.

My only comment is that Lam Kam, I think quite sensibly, suggests you move up to 20 minutes a day as a basic practice. When ever I've started a ZZ practice in the past (which is a number of times), I would always start to lose motivation and give up when I took up to that duration. For me, a comfortable time is 15 mins so that's where I've left it.

I would say do it by intuition...search the net for raw food diet, paleo food ,and the text yoked to earth its about bigu diet and grain free living...did zhang zhuang for 7 years daily...in the morning i did sitting mediation.Did stand up to 4-6 hours haha.After that time spontaneous movement happened...switched into new positions..started spontaneous circle walking...tai chi and xinyi like movements happened by itsself...when i now go into standing position it directly starts by itself...so i cant really say that a i still stand...It will definetly help with posture...the details and relaxation are the key.On youtube you can find videos by lam kam chuen, they are called stand still be fit.For a better posture i also recommend a hard bed or a chinese or japanese one... Have a great time!

Those videos are actually what got me stsrted with my ZZ practice about a year ago. I did it while in school for hours a day, but I would always walk around my dorm and then go back to 'holding the ball'. From what Ive read, most people do sitting meditation more than standing. I'm not sure what to with regards to all that.

Do you do purposely slow abdominal breathing during standing or meditation or do you just put attention on LDT and breath in a normal pace?

Ha ha. This is a great opportunity to direct someone to my own personal practice on ZZ

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/40428-miffymogs-zhan-zhuang-practice/?hl=zhan

It reviews all the main books on the topic and is a practice I'm still doing. I will admit, I've never stood for all that long - I do two 15 min stands a day with warm ups and warm downs before and after, but I have found it more beneficial for me than a seated practice.

My only comment is that Lam Kam, I think quite sensibly, suggests you move up to 20 minutes a day as a basic practice. When ever I've started a ZZ practice in the past (which is a number of times), I would always start to lose motivation and give up when I took up to that duration. For me, a comfortable time is 15 mins so that's where I've left it.

I was actually reading that thread yedterday after typing zhan zhuang into the forum. So I want to start standing teice daily again. As I said in some other threads, I have tightness in my lower spine and when I breath slowly, fully and forcefully into my spine, I can pull my shoulders back for a popping sound. Should I be trying to fix my abdomen like a ball with attempt to maybe release some of this tightness by spreading the breath out instead of a natural, more fast pased breath only trying to conventrste on the LDT?

Just do normal belly breathing...dont force anything.I also started with 20 minutes but i did read somewhere that in older times you had to be able to stand for 1 hour before you could take the next posture abd because i was a perfectionist at this time i did so.Some times it can be like 15 minutes is hard then after half an hour its great...I had the book way of power and there you build up to 1 hour.When i stood for 4 hours it wasnt one position..it was more like 1 hour wuji and than the next posture and so on.i think focus should be on inner awareness and awareness itself and relaxation not on breathing etc.

• Like 1

I was actually reading that thread yedterday after typing zhan zhuang into the forum. So I want to start standing teice daily again. As I said in some other threads, I have tightness in my lower spine and when I breath slowly, fully and forcefully into my spine, I can pull my shoulders back for a popping sound. Should I be trying to fix my abdomen like a ball with attempt to maybe release some of this tightness by spreading the breath out instead of a natural, more fast pased breath only trying to conventrste on the LDT?

I agree with what NATURE BEEING says on this :)

Just do normal belly breathing...dont force anything.I also started with 20 minutes but i did read somewhere that in older times you had to be able to stand for 1 hour before you could take the next posture abd because i was a perfectionist at this time i did so.Some times it can be like 15 minutes is hard then after half an hour its great...I had the book way of power and there you build up to 1 hour.When i stood for 4 hours it wasnt one position..it was more like 1 hour wuji and than the next posture and so on.i think focus should be on inner awareness and awareness itself and relaxation not on breathing etc.