Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but very intrigued. I did my first post and shared a little about myself, however, I am honestly just here asking for help. I have a few books on Taoism (Tao Te Ching, Awaken Healing Light of the Tao by Chia, The Tao of Inner Peace), but I am very new on my path. I spent a few years smoking a lot of Cannabis recently before I got started on my new path with meditations and Taoism and I feel as if the energy was mostly in my head. I was living in a state of needing to always be high. I am worried a may have gotten some blockages or stuck energy because when I do deep abdominal (lower dan tien) breathing there is a bit of tightness when I fully inhale that is sort of painful. Also there is tightness in my lower back a little. What is the best system to start trying to fix this? I do deep belly breathing, but should I be doing it all day every day? Or just once a day? I am a cery dedicated person I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I am awaiting "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" that I ordered on Amazon. Any book or lifestyle suggestions would greatly help me. Also, when I do some deep breathing I can crack my upper spine by pulling my shoulders back. Im assuming this means stuck energy being dislodged? I am I lifegaurd at a pool for the summer and have a lot of free time during the day. Any advice guys?

Thank you in advance for anyone sharing knowledge

Welcome Chi Boy,  I read your post and there is one disclosure you made that I would like to address. It is your admitting that you did a lot of pot smoking. The tightness that you are feeling in your chest are your lungs which if you were to do a autopsy of yourself, would see how black and tarred they are. It will take many years for your lungs to clear up where this tightness goes away. So, deep breathing will be uncomfortable for a while.

Another area of concern is the build up of THC in the fatty tissues of your neurons. This build up will affect neurotransmission for a good while until your body gets rid of the gunk build up in your meyiln sheath of your neurons. What this means is that the messages that your Central Nervous is trying to deliver between the synapsis of your neuron system is being slowed down and/or blocked. In other words, the THC build up is an obstacle for any kind of learning or experiencing new material. And it is a block to feeling Chi.

So, you have to give your body a period of time to detox from the toxins you put into it, save that there were other controled substance use. Everything that you did before is State Dependent.

The popping you're hearing in your back is a kind of gas that is being released. Nothing to worry about. Nothing is being cracked like people think Chiroprators do.

O.K. with that being said in an attitude of good will and encouragement, I would start out slow. Do the readings. Don't take it so seriously as to forget about having a good time, and add joy to your life. And beath in to the degree that you are feeling comfortable. Mediation is a matter of focusing on one thing at a time. The goal is to slow down the racing mind.

Best of luck,

Jim D.

Thanks for responding Jim D,

Do you have any advise on detoxing faster? Or specific books to read? Would you reccomend doing dan tien breathing? Also should I be meditating without trying to change my breath and make it deeper? A lot of people my age have been exercising. Do you have opinions on what I should be doing exercise wise (sauna, cardio, weights)?

Best Regards,

Nick W

You will be sitting and observing allot - sit regularly and walk regularly with a "straight" spine, shoulders somewhat back and try to refrain from judging as you pan about - this is a very good job for practice!

Then just notice where you reside.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

I am also new here and often wondering about DT breathing. I guess if you can do it properly its good to do it as often as possible...

There is a cool novel I recommend you check out called "Discipline" by Paco Ahlgren. About an young addict stepping on the path of "Tao". If you dig quantum physics, time travel, chess and martial arts you will be inspired.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing guys!!!

Yeah I'm liking a lot of things about this forum and the way it is run. I don't have a teacher or anything this website is kind lf a guide to me. However, I would like to find a guide down the road.

Spotless, do you find the traditional sotting meditation will be more beneficial than say a standing meditstion (zhan zhuang)?

Gonna have to check that out PapayaApple. Dan tien breathing has an interesting effect that I described earlier. If I do it for a minute or so Im able to adjust my posture.

Im also strongly considered going celibate due to the supposed spiritual benefits.

ChiBoy,

Your brain has been use to a state of mind that has been affected by a foreign substance you were not born with...THC. It will take a while for your body system to metabilize the toxins out. There is nothing you can do, accept don't smoke up again. Do you know why Cannabis is called "dope?" Believe me I know why. I had a 13 year relationship woth Pot and it didn't do anything good for me like play guitar better, make love better, be a better dad, a good employee when I could hold down a job, a friend, or honest, or momogamous. Back in the 60's I believed in "Love the one your with..."

Just let your body heal itsef.

When I hear Celibacy, I cringe. My body cringes. :huh:  You mean no sex at all...at all. not even with myself? You have to be carefull there too. No outlet comes out somewhere e.g. depression, blood in the semon, UTI, aggression. Just not natural.

I started meditation with a Psalm in the Bible when I was a Christian. It starts out "Whither I go from your spirit...." My mentor who was a very spiritual man guided me for 10 years until he moved to another state.

I like guided meditations. It is the easier softer way, and works just a good, at least for me.

I can tell you that mediation blocks anger. And you can take that to the bank!!

JD

Thanks for sharing guys!!!

Yeah I'm liking a lot of things about this forum and the way it is run. I don't have a teacher or anything this website is kind lf a guide to me. However, I would like to find a guide down the road.

Spotless, do you find the traditional sotting meditation will be more beneficial than say a standing meditstion (zhan zhuang)?

Gonna have to check that out PapayaApple. Dan tien breathing has an interesting effect that I described earlier. If I do it for a minute or so Im able to adjust my posture.

Im also strongly considered going celibate due to the supposed spiritual benefits.

---------

My path started in ernest with yoga over forty years ago. Sitting meditation is what it was mainly comprised of with postures as an adjunct - it bore tremendous fruit (opening of the third eye) though I almost gave up on it.

Much later I Awoke (30+ years) when meditating 3-6 hours at a time daily prior to my child being born and after he was born - I started this in order to speak with him prior to his birth and then for a time after.

After awakening I was drawn to Qi Gong and it has been incredible - I threw myself into it and have been astounded at the results.

It was instrumental in wearing away residual patterns - many had fallen away in Awakening but many had not. I also had health issues primarily mechanical but many little things all of which are basically cleared up.

Beyond that - Qi Gong has taken this body and spirit combo to levels that are very far beyond words. Yesterday my wife and son and I went for a drive and I had to pull over and have my wife drive - the energies taking place over the past week often make simple walking completely incredible - the energy is simply breathtaking and it is often hard to keep my eyes open while standing.

Most key in my Qi Gong practice was when I finally "heard" the message - BE - in your lower dan Tien - breath into your lower dan Tien (LDT). It was about two years into this practice that I really finally heard this message and began doing it constantly. Within about one year after that a whole array of unfolding came about - the prior experiences had already been incredible - with something pounding through at least every two weeks but as the base was really established the whole setup began to emerge prescisely as the teaching set it out - and I know little of the written teachings of Qi Gong - my teacher speaks no English and I had read no books on it other than a few perusals - I do have one hell of a teacher though and we use our iPhones for translating if I have a question and he also manually corrects my posture here and there.

I found out it was unfolding as it is taught because the other students verified many of the things I experienced one after another as what it is said would occur.

In my practice of Qi Gong I have done next to no standing meditation - the movements move one through patterns and though I did not know it at the time - that is what I needed. Only very recently I am spontaneously finding myself in standing meditation - because the power is immense and it simply requires being with it in stillness.

I had done so much prior sitting meditation that much of what I would have put into standing meditation in my Qi Gong practice was simply not needed - my teacher never nuged me in that direction but only pointed out that it was the more powerful of the two (sitting vs standing ) and I have no reason not to believe him.

Let us know where you are located and we can certainly suggest a Qi Gong practice - if this is the path you take - stay with it and do it often - the fruits can be far more than you could glean from words.

All the very best!

• Like 2

when I do deep abdominal (lower dan tien) breathing there is a bit of tightness when I fully inhale that is sort of painful. Also there is tightness in my lower back a little.

When you do deep abdominal breathing, your diaphragm is supposed to move like a cylinder piston. If you experience pain doing this, this is an indication that something is wrong in your abdominal cavity. Most likely this is just your internal tendons that tie internal organs to your connective tissue become overstretched; but it could also be something more serious.

I'd suggest you find a good yoga instructor and unfreeze whatever is frozen inside you. Might take a while, like several years.

Thank you for your responses everyone,

I am located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Not sure if that's what you mean by location Spotless. I like doing standing meditation just don't know what the best posture to start with is. I would love to start a qi gong routine and I have access to a gym if that is said to be beneficial.

So you are saying standing meditation and LDT breathing are the best things to work on spiritually at this point? And I should be doing it for a few hours per day?

I know a good yoga instructor that I could talk to about this. Thank you for your advice idguest.

Thank you for your responses everyone,

I am located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Not sure if that's what you mean by location Spotless. I like doing standing meditation just don't know what the best posture to start with is. I would love to start a qi gong routine and I have access to a gym if that is said to be beneficial.

So you are saying standing meditation and LDT breathing are the best things to work on spiritually at this point? And I should be doing it for a few hours per day?

The word "should" is not a word I use casually and not what I was intending for you to hear - and what might be "best" for you you will come upon.

But in Virginia Beach, Virginia you should have no problem finding teachers.

I would not worry much about having smoked grass - the worry will do you no good and practice and a relatively decent diet will in time clear any ill effects.

If you like standing postures then by all means - I would recommend investigating Qi Gong - find a teacher and simply get into the basics.

I did a search:

Qi Gong teachers in Virginia Beach, Virginia

Quite a few show up on the search list.

So, you think it would be beneficial to start practicing chi gong without being that experienced in meditation? And what do you mean by decent diet? Like staying away from processed foods?

I am worried a may have gotten some blockages or stuck energy because when I do deep abdominal (lower dan tien) breathing there is a bit of tightness when I fully inhale that is sort of painful. Also there is tightness in my lower back a little. What is the best system to start trying to fix this? 

What is your posture when doing this breathing and experiencing pain? Besides the lower back, where else?

I do deep belly breathing, but should I be doing it all day every day? Or just once a day? I am a cery dedicated person I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I am awaiting "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" that I ordered on Amazon. Any book or lifestyle suggestions would greatly help me. Also, when I do some deep breathing I can crack my upper spine by pulling my shoulders back. Im assuming this means stuck energy being dislodged? I am I lifegaurd at a pool for the summer and have a lot of free time during the day. Any advice guys?

What is your goal or aim of the deep belly breathing?   If you are not doing deep belly breathing, does your stomach naturally follow that pattern anyways (inhale=belly expands)?  

As someone mentioned with the spine, I think that is your attaining a relaxed release going on.   For example: Do several slow, deep belly breaths prior to wanting to take a 'dump'... and then sit and continue doing that breathing... what do you get?

You mixing lots of interrelated items (standing, celibacy, detox, etc).  It is good that you see a more holistic side to all of this but you should follow where you are led, and don't chase.   The odd mix in all this is your comments on celibacy; they don't resonant with the rest of your ideas.  So you're forcing that idea on some level.   

• Like 1

What do you mean before doing a 'dump'? Like a bowel movement? When Im relaxed my breath is in my belly and chest most of the time, but I have to deeply inhale every now and then maybe due to som le sort of anxiety. I haven't been doing belly breathing, just focused on meditstion these last few days. When I do a deep belly breath, there is a slight tightness in the right sude of my abnomen in the area near the navel. I've read we aren't supposed to forcibly control the breath so I haven't been trying to breath in any way, just focus on the breath or my dan tien as an anchor.

Also, Im not really considering full on celibacy anymore, just trying to stop masterbation and releasing all the time like every day. I read every four days is good for someone my age. I may go fully celibate if I'm ever single though.

Dawei, the reason I was doing deep belly breathing was because I can crack my back after doing it and Ive seen stuff about breathing deeply into the abdomen. I also see people saying don't try to change the breath at all ever.

What do you mean before doing a 'dump'? Like a bowel movement? When Im relaxed my breath is in my belly and chest most of the time, but I have to deeply inhale every now and then maybe due to som le sort of anxiety. I haven't been doing belly breathing, just focused on meditstion these last few days. When I do a deep belly breath, there is a slight tightness in the right sude of my abnomen in the area near the navel. I've read we aren't supposed to forcibly control the breath so I haven't been trying to breath in any way, just focus on the breath or my dan tien as an anchor.

yes, bowel movement.  If it is in your chest most of the time, then your not yet naturally doing belly breathing. Watch an infant. Their stomach moves like a machine.  our modern life moves our breathing up into our chest. 

I'm not a meditation type so you'll have to get advice on that from others who found use in it.  My main background is in Qigong and then Medical Qigong and now Light practices with deities.  

There is an old saying that one sinks their mind into the lower dan tian (LDT).  I think Spotless said as much, to reside or be one with that.   There is likely several benefits, not just developing the LDT but keeping oneself out of the monkey mind aspect... not thinking so much. 

I had a friend challenge me to do deep belly breathing 7 days non-stop and I would flip my natural breathing to belly breathing. It worked for me.  Ever since, I'm back to infant breathing.   So there is a goal to sinking your breathing back to where it belongs and can nurture natural energy processes. 

Your pain... my first thought was a GI issue.  At least check it out.... also, touch deeply into your stomach in area, like a deep massage... do you get pain?

I once had a pain in my GI area, lower right and could touch it and a colonoscopy found nothing... it later disappeared. who knows. 

anchor... life line.. close.  Ultimately the LDT is connected the the middle (MDT) and upper (UDT)... when it is a unified energy field of all three interconnected, then you understand why the LDT was the reason to start there.   For example, the chakra system explains the years of life from bottom to top. Root= years 1-7; each chakra progress through 7 years.   We're playing catching up later in life by developing those lower areas. 

Also, Im not really considering full on celibacy anymore, just trying to stop masterbation and releasing all the time like every day. I read every four days is good for someone my age. I may go fully celibate if I'm ever single though.

'Good for someone my age'.   So do you do it because you read it or you internally feel the need?   Follow feelling.

Dawei, the reason I was doing deep belly breathing was because I can crack my back after doing it and Ive seen stuff about breathing deeply into the abdomen. I also see people saying don't try to change the breath at all ever.

you didn't know you could crack your back till you tried it...so why did you first try belly breathing? Just read it?

Regardless, it is an essential first step.  

Let me ask you: Where does the energy go after it gathers into the LDT?  What do you or your body do with that accumulation of energy?   This is a more Qigong question and so just seeing if your path is in that direction. 

Qigong is like a cake... many ingredients mixed together in the right way results in something completely new.   This is just my opinion, but the energy [naturally] wants to move... so if you focus on the LDT and breath into the LDT, what is the next step? 

I feel I am repeating my questions but just want you to realize the bigger picture.  Your talking of meditation, standing postures, and belly breathing... all very good for stillness aspects but where is the movement aspect?   Energy wants to move  :)

• Like 1

Any opinions about zhan zhuang? I've hesrd thats a more beginner approach to qi gong.

Edited by Chi Boy

Thank you dawei for sharing. I really appreciate your help in these trying times!

So I want to look into learning qi gong from someone in my area at some point. Due to my posture not being what it should be my shoulder joint is often sore and sometimes gives me pain when raise my left arm into the air.

So your saying I should try doing belly breathing for a week? Im up for the challenge. Are you talking about forcing large inhalations through the abdominal region? When I do this I can either focus the energy on my lower back or on my abdominal cavity. The base of my spine is very tense so when I breath into my lower back area through abdominal breathing for a minute or less, I can pull my shoulder back to hear a sort of pop or two. I can only do it once per few deep abdominal inhales. Im gonna try doing belly breathing for a week, but should it be super deep 'stretching' breaths or regular shallow breaths only focused on my belly area? And should I be focusing on filling my stomach so it looks like a ball or focusing more on breathing into the tense lower spine? Also, nothing really hurts when I massage my abdominal cavity. Also, some people on the forum seem to think breathing should never be forced. At least in meditation it shouldn't be, but it is very satisfying to breath deeply into the abdomen then pull my shoulders back for a nice few pops.

Basically Im just trying to learn how to breath correctly and if there are any rescources that would help me learn how to. Ive sat around a lot smoking cannabis and such during my high school years and I feel it is the right thing for me to do. One last thing, I am not sure where my energy goes after being in my belly. I had always envisioned us was just collecting there and losening up any tensions, hence the popping of my upper spine area.

Edited by Chi Boy

not quite in the mood for typing today - in no particular order:

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/36662-breath-all-we-really-need/?hl=breathe#entry587387

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/39129-zhan-zhuang-breathing/?hl=breathe#entry686071

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/30045-kunlun-one-breath-question/?hl=breathe#entry447906

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/26215-meditation-not-contriving-the-breath/page-2?hl=breathe#entry390844

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/21933-beginners-question/?hl=breathe#entry311705

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/24576-breath-and-core-pelvic-floor-tongue-and-cranium/?hl=breathe#entry354842

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/19968-how-do-long-slow-breaths-affect-your-physical-and-mental-makeup/?hl=breathe#entry283289

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/15334-question-on-breath/?hl=breathe#entry206477

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/18114-breathing-from-dan-tien/?hl=breathe#entry254310

Thank you joe! Your diction is far beyond my grasp of understanding at this point in time. I understand bits and pieces and I'll keep trying. I understand that in very deep meditation you arenmt getting much oxygen, but you are technically resting more than in sleep. I'm just trying to figure out if I should contiously be breathing into my abdomen all through out my days until it's second nature or if I should just stick with my normal thinking and breathing until I meditate and then concentrate on my LDT??

I have knly read the first 4 links thus far. Im going to try to piece together what I can from the rest of them...

Cheers!

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but very intrigued. I did my first post and shared a little about myself, however, I am honestly just here asking for help. I have a few books on Taoism (Tao Te Ching, Awaken Healing Light of the Tao by Chia, The Tao of Inner Peace), but I am very new on my path. I spent a few years smoking a lot of Cannabis recently before I got started on my new path with meditations and Taoism and I feel as if the energy was mostly in my head. I was living in a state of needing to always be high. I am worried a may have gotten some blockages or stuck energy because when I do deep abdominal (lower dan tien) breathing there is a bit of tightness when I fully inhale that is sort of painful. Also there is tightness in my lower back a little. What is the best system to start trying to fix this? I do deep belly breathing, but should I be doing it all day every day? Or just once a day? I am a cery dedicated person I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I am awaiting "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" that I ordered on Amazon. Any book or lifestyle suggestions would greatly help me. Also, when I do some deep breathing I can crack my upper spine by pulling my shoulders back. Im assuming this means stuck energy being dislodged? I am I lifegaurd at a pool for the summer and have a lot of free time during the day. Any advice guys?

Thank you in advance for anyone sharing knowledge

Start practicing this -- 

• Like 1