Sign in to follow this  
phore

Newcomb, Runyon, and bardon.

Hello everyone, 

Im interested in research into the western mystery traditions. 

Im currently looking into the work of Franz bardon, Poke Runyon, and Jason Augustus Newcomb.

Newcombs series called The New Hermetics looks interesting.  Has anyone had any experience with this system.  I like the integration of NLP with the process. 

Poke Runyon with the Temple of Astarte and his series on hermetic yoga and solomons magic seems very interesting as well. 

I have also heard a lot of good things about Bardon. 

Any idea where i should start?  Any recommendations not on this list?

Thank you for your assistance.

Lovelight

Edited by phore

Hi phore,

Of the three more or less contemporary representatives of Hermetic practice you mentioned, the only one I know something about is Bardon. I agree that Newcomb's integration of NLP sounds interesting, but I haven't looked into this so far.

In my opinion, if you are seriously interested in Hermeticism, you should start with its source texts, especially the Corpus Hermeticum. As of late, we have a thread especially on the most fundamental of those, the Poimandres.

If you are particularly interested in the magical aspects, an unbeatable text is the Three Books of Occult Philosophy, which even got its own subforum on TDB.

For sensible historical studies of Hermeticism, I generally recommend the books by Frances A. Yates.

An important modern classic on the Hermetic philosophy is the Kybalion, probably written by Paul Foster Case.

Which brings us to the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, which is a vast topic all by itself. If you want mo to say more on this, just let me know.

• Like 4

Hi phore,

Of the three more or less contemporary representatives of Hermetic practice you mentioned, the only one I know something about is Bardon. I agree that Newcomb's integration of NLP sounds interesting, but I haven't looked into this so far.

In my opinion, if you are seriously interested in Hermeticism, you should start with its source texts, especially the Corpus Hermeticum. As of late, we have a thread especially on the most fundamental of those, the Poimandres.

If you are particularly interested in the magical aspects, an unbeatable text is the Three Books of Occult Philosophy, which even got its own subforum on TDB.

For sensible historical studies of Hermeticism, I generally recommend the books by Frances A. Yates.

An important modern classic on the Hermetic philosophy is the Kybalion, probably written by Paul Foster Case.

Which brings us to the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, which is a vast topic all by itself. If you want mo to say more on this, just let me know.

Great resources. 

At this point my knowledge of hermetics is primarily drawn from Manly P. Halls lecture series. 

http://www.manlyphall.org/

Poke Runyon has been recreating Babylonian mystery school rituals from an anthropological perspective.  His hermetic yoga includes influence from tibetan tantra and some of Crowleys's work I believe. 

http://maelstrompress.info/TOA/Magister.php

I am interested in any knowledge from the golden dawn.  I have read Crowley's Book of Thoth and utilized the cards. 

If anyone has any particular knowledge on the topics of Babylonian mystery schools and how they relate to hermetics, I am particularly interested in that topic.  

Thank you for sharing.

Lovelight

Edited by phore

No experience with New Hermetics, but since you mention Bardon, I'd recommend the site abardoncompanion.com .  Good stuff there, like modernized cliff notes for Bardons books and a couple of free systems loosely based on Bardon's Hermetics. 

• Like 1

No experience with New Hermetics, but since you mention Bardon, I'd recommend the site abardoncompanion.com .  Good stuff there, like modernized cliff notes for Bardons books and a couple of free systems loosely based on Bardon's Hermetics. 

This site looks pretty awesome.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

http://www.martinfaulks.com/ is another good resource for Bardon, he also has a youtube channel where he discusses the system, and I believe recently started running online meditation courses.

I haven't looked into Runyon, but regarding Newcomb, I read his book a few years back but honestly wasn't impressed. He seemed somewhat confused, vacillating between the psychological theory of magic and more spiritual theories. I think you'd probably get more out of Kraig's Modern Magick or Regardie's One Year Manual in combination with Bardon's IIH.

• Like 3

William Gray a western magician not as well known has this book on ritual methods and several others. Gareth Knight and Nick Farrell also may be worth looking into. 

https://www.amazon.com/Magical-Ritual-Methods-William-Gray/dp/0877284989?ie=UTF8&qid=1467198553&ref_=la_B001K8BF28_1_4&refinements=p_82%3AB001K8BF28&s=books&sr=1-4

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

Hi OP, seems like you're looking for a kind of work through book not just general information? From the three you mentioned Bardon seems like the most kosher choice. Additionally, I can heartily recommend  Kabbalah, Magic & the Great Work of Self Transformation: A Complete Course by Lyam Thomas Christopher - kind of like a workbook to go along with Regardie's Golden Dawn black brick, likewise Jean Dubui's courses are excellent, readily available, and undoubtedly esoterically sound - I myself completed the first half of Fundamentals of Esoteric Knowledge - and really came away changed and with a better understanding of what the western path is about. 

Dubuis's course books - 

http://www.baytallaah.com/bookspdf/181.pdf

http://thekingdomwithin.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Dubuis-Jean-The-Experience-of-Eternity.pdf

Edit - fix links. 

Edited by noonespecial
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice and leads everyone.  After Doing some research into it Im really digging Poke Runyon and Bardons stuff. 

Runyon integrates hypnosis, tantra, hermetic kaballah, goetia, bardon, agrippa, cultural anthropology and neopagan elements.  Hes also got the motherload of free audio in his hermetic hour podcast.  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the-hermetic-hour

He seems reasonably well informed about Crowly and golden dawn and hes a 33rd degree Freemason.  You can stream some of his movies for free on amazon prime. 

Ive spent some time reading some plato as well.  I will likely continue to follow up on this vein of philosophy. 

Im going to gradually check out the materials recommended by everyone here.  Im liking Rawn Clarks stuff as well but Im trying to read Bardon first. 

Thanks everyone :)

Edited by phore
  • Like 2

Another author supposing Sufic origins of the Tarot is Dai Leon, though he doesn't trace it back to the Brethren of Purity as Nicholas Swift does. Either implication is interesting, for once the last Platonists were chased out of Greece, they sought refuge in the Middle East. Thus the Sufis came to inherit the knowledge of the Greeks, which later resurfaced in Europe.

Does this possibly mean that P.F. Case was more right than he knew about the Arabic origins and Fez in particular: that he mentions in

The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages
  • Like 2

Hello everyone, 

Im interested in research into the western mystery traditions. 

Im currently looking into the work of Franz bardon, Poke Runyon, and Jason Augustus Newcomb.

Newcombs series called The New Hermetics looks interesting.  Has anyone had any experience with this system.  I like the integration of NLP with the process. 

Poke Runyon with the Temple of Astarte and his series on hermetic yoga and solomons magic seems very interesting as well. 

I have also heard a lot of good things about Bardon. 

Any idea where i should start?  Any recommendations not on this list?

Thank you for your assistance.

Lovelight

I am aware of Bardon's IIH and think this is a rock solid school of developng YOUR abilities. Other schools play around with the Kabbala to give beginners easy success, but I'm warning about using any kabbalistic magic, since this works because of EXTERNAL forces - Demons, according to my understanding. So, better develop your own powers!

Edited by Rocco

I am aware of Bardon's IIH and think this is a rock solid school of developng YOUR abilities. Other schools play around with the Kabbala to give beginners easy success, but I'm warning about using any kabbalistic magic, since this works because of EXTERNAL forces - Demons, according to my understanding. So, better develop your own powers!

Nothing wrong with Demons. There just misunderstood.  :P

What makes you think it is rock solid?  Have you used it?  

Are you aware that Bardons school 'plays around' with Kabbalah?  [see his book on kabbalah]  

And works with external forces? [see his book on evocation]

Also considering that you are a newby [asking about how to deal with parasites on another page] why are you handing out advice to people?  

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this