thelerner

Eyes in esoteric practices

On 10/19/2018 at 5:23 PM, Sol said:

What can be done with Shen?

Wow. That's such a huge question, you can't possibly imagine.

The most widely discussed, researched, modern interpretation of the easiest skill that Shen can provide is Remote Viewing.

Search that, and it will send you down some interesting rabbit holes.

The old story goes:

A master once warned his student that he would be meditating for a really long time, and not to disturb him.

No matter what happened, DO NOT DISTURB my body, he said.

A couple days go by. A week. Two weeks.

The Master didn't stir. Didn't eat. Didn't seem like he was breathing.

The student, despite what the master had warned him, decided he had died. Called the town doctor. The doctor and the townsfolk thought he was deceased as well.

They had a funeral. Buried his body.

3 weeks later a huge storm rolls around. Lighting and thunder.

A loud knock on the dojo door. The student runs to see who is making such a fuss.

There stood the town drunk, dripping wet with rain, with one eye barely open.

He hit the student hard upon the head. " I told you NOT to move my body.

That's what can be done with proper Shen.

Where did you find this story? Have you accumulated shen?

On 10/21/2018 at 8:10 PM, Lightseeker said:

Where did you find this story? Have you accumulated shen?

This story was related to me through a very traditional teacher. I have classical training as well as medical training.

There are various definitions of shen.

It is most classically known as spirit.

In the Western understanding they often associate it with love and harmony.

In the classical Eastern understanding its more along the lines of assertion and confidence.

In the immortal body practices it is the culmination of sublime transformation of earthly qi into refined essence.

Essentially eat really well for your body type, practice daily collection of qi, and with time it will alter your genetics.

Its more intense than that, and more intense than can be relayed shortly in a forum.

Have I?

The reason most individuals who practice self cultivation eventually turn to a more hermetic lifestyle is the differential in spirit vs the common man. They just cant relate to the normal desires and focus of the general population. Things that seem important to earthly people often are ridiculous to those who cultivate.

I still exist in the world, mainly due to dependents. But I sure do look forward to the days of solitude that are in my future.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sol said:

This story was related to me through a very traditional teacher. I have classical training as well as medical training.

There are various definitions of shen.

It is most classically known as spirit.

In the Western understanding they often associate it with love and harmony.

In the classical Eastern understanding its more along the lines of assertion and confidence.

In the immortal body practices it is the culmination of sublime transformation of earthly qi into refined essence.

Essentially eat really well for your body type, practice daily collection of qi, and with time it will alter your genetics.

Its more intense than that, and more intense than can be relayed shortly in a forum.

Have I?

The reason most individuals who practice self cultivation eventually turn to a more hermetic lifestyle is the differential in spirit vs the common man. They just cant relate to the normal desires and focus of the general population. Things that seem important to earthly people often are ridiculous to those who cultivate.

I still exist in the world, mainly due to dependents. But I sure do look forward to the days of solitude that are in my future.

Do you know about Kriya yoga?

7 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

Do you know about Kriya yoga?

I do not know all systems. I have studied many over the years, but that is not one of them.

I am superficially aware of the main concepts as they are similar to kundalini yoga and I have friends that I can refer to if needed.

But my path was one of combined Japanese, Taoist, and modern medical science.