thelerner

Eyes in esoteric practices

Jax was writing about eyes in a thogal thread.  Interesting stuff, he wrote or quoted "The precious cauldron (yu ting) is a cavity in the center of the brain... It's left and right sides are linked with the pupils of the eyes by two channels; and it is also connected with the heart. Hence it is said that essential nature is in the heart which manifests through the two eyes."

How do eyes relate to practice?  To energetics?

In classical Japanese pictures we see enlightenment in terms of cross eyed.  In the Golden Flower  and a few qi gong systems there is emphasis on staring/focus at the tip of the nose.  Yoga, thogal, and 1,000 miles away Maori tribes have postures with 'fierce' eyes, tongue out; the tongue being connected to the heart in Taoism. 

Where different cultures come up with similar practices and ideas, I can't help but think they're onto to something universal and deep.  Yet lost in the West.

I was hoping for thoughts on eyes and practices.  What do people do and what is the theory behind it? 

• Like 6

in terms of subduing the cranial nerves, the push-pull configuration of oculomotor nerve (III), trochlear nerve (IV) and abducens nerve (VI) and the 6 extraocular muscles are where the looking down the nose comes from -  one shouldnt look at the tip of the nose, because that is not a zeroed out configuration for the eyes.  down the rim of the nose is the closest to zero-balance as we can get.  (the levator palpebrae superioris muscle that lifts the upper eyelid is engaged partially by straight-on look.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraocular_muscles

getting into the neural aspects of the heart<>eyes connection requires getting rather deep into brain anatomy and the interactions of the midbrain & pons, but they are intimately linked - both motor and perception are very intimately linked.

531px-Brain_stem_sagittal.svg.png

• Like 4

The Optic Nerve is directly connected with the central nervous center.

Therefore, The Optic Nerve or the eyes  can be “used” as a “steering wheel” to “manipulate” or steer the central nervous system to get certain effects for example resetting the CNS.

However, this a very deep and wide subject to study

Ancient sience

• Trataka Yoga use of the eyes to induce certain effects
  • Hsing Yi  Santi posture gazing firmly but always relaxed to the index finger to train the capacity of charing and discharing of the CNS.
  • Mantak Chia gives a bunch of clues in his books on how to rotate the eyes to reset the CNS

Modern sciences

• Psychiatrist also know some eye moving techniques to produce emotional discharges
  • Some Yoga teachers from 3HO mentioned that gazing up for spiritual progress, gazing down for when you need more power in the physical body and other way of gazing that find to dificult to explian in words for healing power

You will find that the eyes are extremely powerful tools and this knowledge is well guarded.

It does not matter if you try to get the information for a psychiatrist or a Yogi then will not hand it over easily.

I myself tried to find out information about the techniques that psychiatrist used with eyes but could not find anything which seems strange.

Another Hulei Taichi Master mentioned in a live demo when most people left that these eye techniques where closed door secrets and used to stop or absorb the intention of attacks before they start.

Careful I am NOT talking about empty force here :) :) :)

• Like 3

The Optic Nerve is directly connected with the central nervous center.

Therefore, The Optic Nerve or the eyes  can be “used” as a “steering wheel” to “manipulate” or steer the central nervous system to get certain effects for example resetting the CNS.

However, this a very deep and wide subject to study

Ancient sience

• Trataka Yoga use of the eyes to induce certain effects
  • Hsing Yi  Santi posture gazing firmly but always relaxed to the index finger to train the capacity of charing and discharing of the CNS.
  • Mantak Chia gives a bunch of clues in his books on how to rotate the eyes to reset the CNS

Modern sciences

• Psychiatrist also know some eye moving techniques to produce emotional discharges
  • Some Yoga teachers from 3HO mentioned that gazing up for spiritual progress, gazing down for when you need more power in the physical body and other way of gazing that find to dificult to explian in words for healing power

You will find that the eyes are extremely powerful tools and this knowledge is well guarded.

It does not matter if you try to get the information for a psychiatrist or a Yogi then will not hand it over easily.

I myself tried to find out information about the techniques that psychiatrist used with eyes but could not find anything which seems strange.

Another Hulei Taichi Master mentioned in a live demo when most people left that these eye techniques where closed door secrets and used to stop or absorb the intention of attacks before they start.

Careful I am NOT talking about empty force here :) :) :)

Will you share more of what you know?

In the practice of Qi Gong one can at some point very clearly feel the movement of energy from one side to the other in conjunction with the eyes particularly in postures requiring the turning of the head. You will realize that you were "in" one eye and now you are "in" the other as you move from one side to the other.

This energetic movement can also be felt during some "secret" postures and initially this movement when felt can feel like peanut butter moving from one side to the other - the movement of the energy is not from the sides of the inner head but more one eye then back slightly and around a "u" and then forward slightly into the other eye.

When it is happening or when you are manipulating it - it does not feel as though it is from one eye to the other. The movement through the midpoint can have some effort and release as one side empties into the other.

This is all slightly forward of the center of the head.

Nearly all of these exercises help to relinquish proclivities that we have - many inborn - whereby we are based and fortified into our routine energetic patterns.

As these fortifications are relinquished other energetic flows may now transpire and certain connections heretofore invisible are now possible to emerge.

While the engineers love this stuff - it requires no effort.

I manipulated it when it presented itself only for a few minutes while sitting with my master at his home - after that it became quit fluid and now I notice it in all the Qi Gong that I do and whenever it presents itself.

It is all connected to the root center - the Dan Tien located near the navel. I hesitate to call any of them upper or lower because we tend to view anything labeled "upper" as higher and better - which is simply not the case. The idea that this eye stuff is connected to heart is like waving candy in front of so many that it is not helpful to connect the two.

As the Dan Tein located near the navel is affirmed and strengthened and expresses energy upward all things unfold by and by - as the walls fall away lighter and finer forms of energy can and will rise from the base - the base is ever changing as is the whole matrix.

The idea that we go from the lower base upward to the higher finer centers is incorrect - words that have labeled and misled.

A fine tree settled into organic soil may reach the sky - it is the rooting and the base that make this possible. It's balance is rooted in organic growth and the wise action of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do all my wyrdness with my eyes. I don't use my hands like most people.

Practice expressing different emotions in a mirror using only your eyes. How small can you move?

I used to practice staring at small objects and FORCING them to move, refusing to accept failure. It worked. This may not be wise. Its exhausting!

These two things let you do lots of other cool stuff though. The eyes and intention become one.

If the energy channel described above from eye to eye is focused upon lightly the inside of the breast plate becomes energized, a loop at the top of it from where your throat emerges becomes very bright, also energized are the throat center, roof of the mouth, entire nasal cavity, sixth chakra and very pronounced is the crown - particularly the perimeter.

It is quite easy to assume a standing posture or one sitting - stillness is made easy. The lungs become warm and the voice deepens.

In a standing posture the column is most pronounced from the middle - it becomes almost rod like some 3 inches thick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the eyes are so important in spirituality, why meditation doesn't cure eye problems like myopia?

It is my understanding that, based on the theories and applications of the famous Dr. Bates ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method), myopia is caused by physical and nervous tensions in the eyes and in the body.

I've heard claims that meditation can heal many ailments caused by stress and tension.

If the eyes are so important in spirituality, why meditation doesn't cure eye problems like myopia?

It is my understanding that, based on the theories and applications of the famous Dr. Bates ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method), myopia is caused by physical and nervous tensions in the eyes and in the body.

I've heard claims that meditation can heal many ailments caused by stress and tension.

I wore glasses starting in third grade as I could no longer read what was on the blackboard. Refused to wear them anymore starting in 10th or 11th grade, palmed (shoulda mentioned that before), and started doing the aforementioned eye work. By senior year I had 20/10 vision and entered the Army without required corrective lenses. I still have 20/10 and that was many, many, moons ago.

So, yes, interesting someone has to do that to fix their eyes but all the relaxed sitting doesn't do it.

Edited by WisteriaWinds
  • Like 1

Meditation works far more on the subtle planes where as Qi Gong works on both the subtle planes and the gross physical as well.

This is also true of real yoga.

Qi Gong will eventually go after eye problems - the energy field that extends outward and around the eye sockets become pronounced, fields within the eyeballs can become known, there are many filters extending outward from the eyes. The eyes will water to excess often for some. Palming as mentioned before has great benefit.

Diet - coffee - vitamins - all sorts of things effect the eyes.

Hearing is very effected temporarily by hot spices. Lot of little things we do can have tremendous influence on us - it is why at some levels teachers may drop things from their diets or add something - we all have different constitutions as well as subtle awareness.

Energetic practice does not override proclicvities / habits - though it is very powerful in helping to have them fall away.

Many energies of the eyes are a reflection of the frequency so to speak in which you reside - nearly every judgement habit in your space affects the filters through which you see.

• Like 3

A simplistic response to the OP is that our visual sense is by far the most important and the one upon which we are most dependent. We can easily create a visual representation of our experience which will be much more comprehensive and nuanced than through other senses. Thodgal practices use the visual sense largely for this reason. Theoretically, I suspect one could use the other senses if they were as highly developed and refined and played as central a role in our lives.

On 6/18/2016 at 5:58 PM, Spotless said:

In the practice of Qi Gong one can at some point very clearly feel the movement of energy from one side to the other in conjunction with the eyes particularly in postures requiring the turning of the head. You will realize that you were "in" one eye and now you are "in" the other as you move from one side to the other.

This energetic movement can also be felt during some "secret" postures and initially this movement when felt can feel like peanut butter moving from one side to the other - the movement of the energy is not from the sides of the inner head but more one eye then back slightly and around a "u" and then forward slightly into the other eye.

When it is happening or when you are manipulating it - it does not feel as though it is from one eye to the other. The movement through the midpoint can have some effort and release as one side empties into the other.

This is all slightly forward of the center of the head.

Nearly all of these exercises help to relinquish proclivities that we have - many inborn - whereby we are based and fortified into our routine energetic patterns.

As these fortifications are relinquished other energetic flows may now transpire and certain connections heretofore invisible are now possible to emerge.

While the engineers love this stuff - it requires no effort.

I manipulated it when it presented itself only for a few minutes while sitting with my master at his home - after that it became quit fluid and now I notice it in all the Qi Gong that I do and whenever it presents itself.

Spotless had also suggested:

"Fully turning head from one side to the other for at least 20 seconds. Moves energy from one eye to the other - this exercises the neck and it exercises certain channels inside the head. It may also work on the U shaped energy conduit in the forward of center brow chakra area of the head. This has a name that escapes me but it is very real and can eventually be felt very clearly."

I started doing Spotless' head turning exercise just to lubricate my neck, lol, but found this exercise also produced immediately palpable energy sensations starting in the eyes and center of the head, which then spread throughout the body... Very interesting!

Thank you Spotless...Always interested in hearing more about this..

• Like 2

Very interesting topic. Many yoga and qi gong teachers tell us to look at a certain spot all the time. Even if eyes are closed one should have the eyes focusing on the top of the nose. Maybe I am wrong, but I think this is done because it is a way to relax the eyes, and thus calm down the brain. In NLP they say that when you think you move your eyes. When you think visually your eyes normally go up, when you think auditorylly they go to the sides, and when you think kinesthetically or you have an internal diallog they go down. NLP has some interesting theories for people who do qigong or meditation, and they themselves are influenced by these. So from this I would conclude that to focus somewhere with the eyes fixed and relaxed is a good way to relax the brain and the nervous system

• Like 2

Wow I’m late to he party! I posted a topic similar to this one, and an really happy to see this topic being discussed. I don’t have much to say, except look at Osho, GURDJIEFF and people like them. They had mastered this stuff. It would be great if someone shares the secret to attaining these abilities.

On 6/18/2016 at 3:53 PM, ralis said:

Will you share more of what you know?

You have not heard of the corrective gaze of the master?

Simply noting the improper position in a student with a gaze is often enough to get them to move into the proper stance.

But you have to have enough qi accumulated.

The qi is stored, turned into shen. It is the shen that can alter things both internally and externally with the eyes.

Strong enough, and it can influence the qi of another quite easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Sol said:

You have not heard of the corrective gaze of the master?

Simply noting the improper position in a student with a gaze is often enough to get them to move into the proper stance.

But you have to have enough qi accumulated.

The qi is stored, turned into shen. It is the shen that can alter things both internally and externally with the eyes.

Strong enough, and it can influence the qi of another quite easily.

Thank you very much for your answer. Just to satiate my curiosity, what can be done with shen externally and internally?

On 19/6/2016 at 12:46 PM, WisteriaWinds said:

I wore glasses starting in third grade as I could no longer read what was on the blackboard. Refused to wear them anymore starting in 10th or 11th grade, palmed (shoulda mentioned that before), and started doing the aforementioned eye work. (...) 

Can you tell us more about this type of eye work? Thank you 

I tried something similar a few years ago, but with a "dissolving" intention not trying to move the objects. 

I had no vision improvements. 

Edited by Cheshire Cat

This is a very interesting and important topic. I would be happy too if somebody with knowledge regarding this is kind enough as to share it with us!

20 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

Thank you very much for your answer. Just to satiate my curiosity, what can be done with shen externally and internally?

What can be done with Shen?

Wow. That's such a huge question, you can't possibly imagine.

The most widely discussed, researched, modern interpretation of the easiest skill that Shen can provide is Remote Viewing.

Search that, and it will send you down some interesting rabbit holes.

The old story goes:

A master once warned his student that he would be meditating for a really long time, and not to disturb him.

No matter what happened, DO NOT DISTURB my body, he said.

A couple days go by. A week. Two weeks.

The Master didn't stir. Didn't eat. Didn't seem like he was breathing.

The student, despite what the master had warned him, decided he had died. Called the town doctor. The doctor and the townsfolk thought he was deceased as well.

They had a funeral. Buried his body.

3 weeks later a huge storm rolls around. Lighting and thunder.

A loud knock on the dojo door. The student runs to see who is making such a fuss.

There stood the town drunk, dripping wet with rain, with one eye barely open.

He hit the student hard upon the head. " I told you NOT to move my body.

That's what can be done with proper Shen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sol said:

What can be done with Shen?

Wow. That's such a huge question, you can't possibly imagine.

The most widely discussed, researched, modern interpretation of the easiest skill that Shen can provide is Remote Viewing.

Search that, and it will send you down some interesting rabbit holes.

The old story goes:

A master once warned his student that he would be meditating for a really long time, and not to disturb him.

No matter what happened, DO NOT DISTURB my body, he said.

A couple days go by. A week. Two weeks.

The Master didn't stir. Didn't eat. Didn't seem like he was breathing.

The student, despite what the master had warned him, decided he had died. Called the town doctor. The doctor and the townsfolk thought he was deceased as well.

They had a funeral. Buried his body.

3 weeks later a huge storm rolls around. Lighting and thunder.

A loud knock on the dojo door. The student runs to see who is making such a fuss.

There stood the town drunk, dripping wet with rain, with one eye barely open.

He hit the student hard upon the head. " I told you NOT to move my body.

That's what can be done with proper Shen.

Wow. VERY cool story. So then naturally I must ask, how you accumulate as much shen as possible?

11 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

Wow. VERY cool story. So then naturally I must ask, how you accumulate as much shen as possible?

so you want to see naked women at distance, don't you? :P:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1