Sign in to follow this  
roger

a remedy to attack

I just wanted to share with you all a practice I've used, and very successfully, to deal with attacks by others.

First let me say that to many people, maybe even to some of you, this might seem self-sacrificial and suicidal.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The power and healing that doing what I'm gonna suggest gives one is profound. It is, imo, the ultimate way of handling attacks.

ACIM says this is "using atonement as a defense." It says this is the ONE "defense" that can only bless.

It's to see the attacker as making a "call for love," and then ANSWERING that call.

In other words, give the one attacking the love they're asking for.

ALL "attack" is a call for love.

To "answer" that call is profoundly healing and empowering for both the giver and receiver.

For me, it doesn't leave me feeling like I've sacrificed myself- quite the opposite.

To do this is to give YOURSELF the love YOU need, that is being reflected by the attacker. In other words, the attacker is mirroring something that needs to be healed in yourself.

• Like 2

I know that this concept is meant to reduce fear and pain of the receiver.  However, being a military man I hold to a different perspective.

• Like 1

Depends what you mean by 'attacker' ?

Are you talking about someone physically threatening you, or doing actual bodily harm when you are going about your business peacefully ?

I would recommend defending yourself if you can do so. Appeasement is submission and encourages the attacker to either continue attacking you or attacking others having seen how successful they are.

All attacks are not 'calls for love' they are attempts to gain some value by force. That value might be obedience, appeasement, power, property or many other things the attacker wants from you.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

I just wanted to share with you all a practice I've used, and very successfully, to deal with attacks by others.

First let me say that to many people, maybe even to some of you, this might seem self-sacrificial and suicidal.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The power and healing that doing what I'm gonna suggest gives one is profound. It is, imo, the ultimate way of handling attacks.

ACIM says this is "using atonement as a defense." It says this is the ONE "defense" that can only bless.

It's to see the attacker as making a "call for love," and then ANSWERING that call.

In other words, give the one attacking the love they're asking for.

ALL "attack" is a call for love.

To "answer" that call is profoundly healing and empowering for both the giver and receiver.

For me, it doesn't leave me feeling like I've sacrificed myself- quite the opposite.

To do this is to give YOURSELF the love YOU need, that is being reflected by the attacker. In other words, the attacker is mirroring something that needs to be healed in yourself.

In situations of physical aggression this is well illustrated by the martial art of aikido.

See Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction for details.

• Like 1

turning the other cheek is an advanced form of response, something that great warriors can do and succeed at because of their inner power (for instance a master like Jesus who can not be defeated internally) but I'd say not something for a novice to try who should use self defense...   

Edited by 3bob

...and Jesus didn't fair too well either. I seem to remember they crucified him, then stuck a spear through his side. Rumours of his resurrection have been exaggerated.

Karl, Jesus is alive and well (x1000) for seeing is also of believing and such can be seen when one finds out for themselves instead of going by rumors....

• Like 1

Karl, Jesus is alive and well (x1000) for seeing is also of believing and such can be seen when one finds out for themselves instead of going by rumors....

Where is he then ?

Sign in to follow this