silent thunder

Internal scent

I've been sitting in a new manner since December of last year and of late, I routinely smell something that I am unfamiliar with... 

It comes frequently, briefly, sometimes during my sit, almost always after a session on and off for some minutes, then at random seeming times throughout the day, I smell something intense and new.  I would describe it as earthy, leafy, green and wet, yet spicy... zingy.  It's tough to nail down.

I'm fortunate that it happens when I'm not sitting and when my family is around because I've been able to ask them if they smell it.  It's pungent.  While the scent is very pleasant, the intensity of it almost is not...  They smell nothing, not in the room, not near me, not on me.

One of the core processes of this new manner (for me) of sitting, is the turning of the senses inward. 

So I'm sharing this small, pleasant oddity and wondering if anyone has experienced similar?

edit to add:  I'm aware of the potential causes of phantosmia, such as respiratory infections, onset of parkinson's, temporal lobe siezures, etc.  and while I haven't had a brain scan recently, my health is currently a beautiful thing, so there's that.

Edited by silent thunder

It is likely just a reaction of your subconscious mind to your new method of sitting, but there is also a phenomenon called Dan Xiang, which is a specific smell that emerges from the bodies of people who practice Dan to a very high level.

I doubt this is happening to you, but it may be that you have made yourself more sensitive to hormonal smells and so on.

Also, what you are describing sounds like good tea!  :)

Yea, Dan Xiang was not a consideration, where I am on my path is not in the same sphere as Sages who exude that level of realization.  

There's speculation of the presence of benevolent entities if the scent is pleasant yet cannot be identified or associated with any of the scents one is familiar with. On the flip side, if the stench is overpoweringly nasty, that would indicate hostile space invaders.  :D

• Like 1

this is one of those topics that almost has me red in the face.....

back in the day of childhood- we would chant "the smeller is the feller(fellow)"

that is on a fun note!

the  olfactory ability/or not is a strange one. I can't personally deal with perfume.

or manufactured smells but I think what you may be intimating is much more intimate.:-)

When you described the earthy scent-I have recall of a location in California in the foothill of the Sierra in a town called Springville. In Springtime, hiking the hills one would get heavy scent of fresh cilantro-although it was not cilantro.

ok- purify, purify, purify...onward!

and what have I entertained? a brief moment of a smell that is not what I consider me---

the nose knows.

• Like 2

I've been sitting in a new manner since December of last year and of late, I routinely smell something that I am unfamiliar with... 

It comes frequently, briefly, sometimes during my sit, almost always after a session on and off for some minutes, then at random seeming times throughout the day, I smell something intense and new.  I would describe it as earthy, leafy, green and wet, yet spicy... zingy.  It's tough to nail down.

I'm fortunate that it happens when I'm not sitting and when my family is around because I've been able to ask them if they smell it.  It's pungent.  While the scent is very pleasant, the intensity of it almost is not...  They smell nothing, not in the room, not near me, not on me.

One of the core processes of this new manner (for me) of sitting, is the turning of the senses inward. 

So I'm sharing this small, pleasant oddity and wondering if anyone has experienced similar?

edit to add:  I'm aware of the potential causes of phantosmia, such as respiratory infections, onset of parkinson's, temporal lobe siezures, etc.  and while I haven't had a brain scan recently, my health is currently a beautiful thing, so there's that.

It is a beautifull experience. They call it sometimes divine scents. You're lucky to experience it.

It comes frequently, briefly, sometimes during my sit, almost always after a session on and off for some minutes, then at random seeming times throughout the day, I smell something intense and new. I would describe it as earthy, leafy, green and wet, yet spicy... zingy. It's tough to nail down.

I'm fortunate that it happens when I'm not sitting and when my family is around because I've been able to ask them if they smell it. It's pungent. While the scent is very pleasant, the intensity of it almost is not... They smell nothing, not in the room, not near me, not on me.

edit to add: I'm aware of the potential causes of phantosmia, such as respiratory infections, onset of parkinson's, temporal lobe siezures, etc. and while I haven't had a brain scan recently, my health is currently a beautiful thing, so there's that.

For a while my friend and I would both smell marijuana though no one was smoking it around us (in different cities) while we practiced tai chi. We shared notes on this and found it strange. We both drew a similar conclusion - someone was "visiting us and was smoking pot".

• Like 3

Is it the same scent every time?  I had this start happening after sufficiently transforming the cranial nerve resonances to the point where no body/space/time is felt, but the scents are random and all over the place.

I got yesterday a similar experience with Reiki.

Experimenting with Reiki I tried to dissolve past trauma issues and my body felt vibrant. Suddenly I could smell a "perfume" like that of flowers or shower gel if I should describe it more specifically, but it was definitely not from my skin. It seems to derive from my throat chakra and from my hands.

Funny, right now typing this words and remembering the experience, I can smell it again ... emanating from my hands ... like flowers.

My Reiki Master 20 years ago got the very same smell every time we practiced Reiki.

I would love to experience the same thing during Nei Kung training. But it seems that it will require a lot of time until this will happen.

So if this happens only to people who tries to heal (themselves or others), how would then a terrorist smell? Like goat?

So if this happens only to people who tries to heal (themselves or others), how would then a terrorist smell? Like goat?

I would imagine first and foremost a terrorist would smell like any other human being. Its better to protest the deed and not the person, dont you agree? 

I'm in line with CT when it comes to projecting the scent of those who are in extreme suffering, though I bet they smell of sweat and fear.  I can comment on the scent of goats though, as I've spent time on a goat farm in my youth.  Their scent is good, it's earthy and quite pleasant if everyone is healthy. 

It's been very surely put to rest that I am the only one in my house smelling this scent.  So it's not an external scent being generated or propagated, it's an 'internal' experience, usually while I'm sitting or just after as I'm stretching and getting back up.  Though it's still showing up randomly during the day as well.

I have let it go at this point.  So many processes happening simultaneously.  This is just one of them.

• Like 1

If you feel positive about this scent, maybe a good practice to dedicate the merit of its presence (each time you catch its subtle hello) towards the good of all beings. Its something i do as part of my path for a number of beneficial reasons, and i thought you might like to think about it too. A simple practice which promotes mindful and grateful living for all.  :)

• Like 2