Sign in to follow this  
Jim D.

Collective Unconscious

I failed to comment on the Collective Unconscious, or "unavoidable influences exerted upon it by the enviornment."

Let's look at TV in the 50's. Some of you might remember "I Love Lucy Show" that came on every week. Do you remember the social mores then? Desi and Lucy were never shown sleeping in the same bed. But there was "little Rickie!"  Now fast forward to 2016. What do you see on TV...sex in all shapes and forms, circumstances and situations. How did this happen over time? Was it the media? Was it the sexual revolution of the 60's. Was it marketing? Or, all of the above. I think we could say that we are seeing and have seen, if we take a look back, Collective Unconscious (people) influencing the planet. No matter what the motive, it happened because enough people bought into it. And it made money.

Or how about "All in the Family?" Remember Carroll O'Connor's character? It was a ground breaking comedy that crossed social boundaries. Archie was just out there! Fast forward 40-50 years and he does not seem so shocking.

JD

There is no "collective unconsciousness".  It's all brain-washing.  Manipulation of the mind of man (and woman).

• Like 1

Of course there is a Collective Unconscious, even though we may have to clarify what we mean by that exactly. To Jung, it was the realm of the archetypes, a common heritage of all of humanity. The OP seems to be using it as a term for a field of consciousness that all humans are hooked up to, that they contribute to, and that acts back on them at the same time. This would seem to be part of what Jung described, in the final analysis.

Anyway, the existence of some kind of hive consciousness should be obvious especially to an Anarchist. ;)

• Like 2

Unless one is in the habit of consciously operating their thymus, lymbic system, growing fingernails, digesting meals and beating ones heart while asleep, not to mention pre-programming any dreams one may have, I'd say there is ample evidence of a subconscious. 

Anyway, the existence of some kind of hive consciousness should be obvious especially to an Anarchist. ;)

Don't be putting all those responsibilities on an Anarchist.

• Like 1

Unless one is in the habit of consciously operating their thymus, lymbic system, growing fingernails, digesting meals and beating ones heart while asleep, not to mention pre-programming any dreams one may have, I'd say there is ample evidence of a subconscious.

I beat my chest when awake.

I'm not arguing against the existence of a subconscious.  I am arguing against a "collective subconscious".

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this