Sign in to follow this  
Prasanna

Vedanta and purpose of spirituality in life

Vedanta philosophy is an Indian Philosophy from the end portions of the Vedas. Vedanta also means the ultimate knowledge or End of knowledge since there is nothing more beyond it to learn in life. What is that knowing which there is nothing else to be learned? Being born as human beings, it is the prerogative of every individual to know what is the purpose of life and what is that which is the source and cause of their life. In Vedanta we know it as the Supreme Self  or God or Divinity or Truth, which is the enlivening principle, the very source, cause and support of life in all living beings. The purpose of life is explained as achieving Self Realization or achieving God consciousness.

How does spirituality help us in life?

Spirituality or Vedanta is primarily about rediscovering our original true identity of Divinity or Supreme self or Godhead within and giving up our false and wrong identification with the Body, Mind, Intellect and Ego. All our lifetime we waste our life in extroversion believing that we are merely the limited restricted beings of Body, mind, Intellect and Ego due to our ignorance of the Supreme Self. Vedanta clears this ignorance and lets us lead a meaningful life of spiritual enlightenment and material prosperity as well.

Spirituality helps us lead a principled life of self discipline and righteousness. Spirituality or Vedanta aids in developing an awareness of the various personality layers, subtle faculties and also help us with spiritual practices to achieve the ultimate purpose of human life and human existence called Self Realization.

What other benefits do we gain by spirituality or study of Vedanta?

Vedanta gives incisive insights into the truth and realities of life. It develops noble qualities like self control or control of the senses, objectivity, self sufficiency, humility, non hatred towards all the beings of the world, forgiveness, Dexterity, cleanliness, etc. Above everything it renders the personality with clarity in thinking, free from egoism and desires of the Mind for sensuality and materialistic pursuits. By this, the individual leads a life of duty consciousness, selfless service, sacrifice, universal love, proper discrimination that helps develop and practice good sense of values along with appropriate sense of proportion. The result of all these is that the individual leads well balanced life of equipoise, mental equanimity, perfect judgement, unbiased and impartial outlook towards life and enjoys playing his / her own different roles in life with perfect harmony with laws and designs of Divine Providence and Mother nature. Such a life alone is purposeful

Edited by Prasanna
  • Like 7

Thanks for sharing this, Prasanna.

Do you know whether the teachings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi are similar or identical to Vedanta?

I'm gonna read his book, Science of Being and Art of Living.

Will that teach me Vedanta?

• Like 1

Namaste Dao Bums, I learnt Vedanta from a spiritual master by the name Swami. Parthasarathy who is an international speaker and lecturer on Vedanta philosophy. If you wish to find resources on vedanta, you may try visiting the following website from where you will get the inputs that are the source for my inspiration in life. The website address is as follows:

www.vedantaworld.org

I have heard about Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and his institutions in the United States Of America. I haven't gone through his books to give my opinion on that. This man Swami Parthasarathy who is my guru for Advaita Vedanta, has dedicated his life for the spreading of this ancient wisdom. He conducts an institution called "Vedanta Academy" where students can join a 3 years, full time, residential Diploma course on Vedanta philosophy. I am one such student and it is almost 17 years since I completed my diploma. It is always one's life priorities that determine the quality of life of any individual. It is a matter of choice to either stand up for a selfless life of service and sacrifice or else tread the beaten path like any of our brethren who lead a worldly life of self sustenance, sensual pleasures, materialistic living. I don't want to comment on which way of life and living is superior or inferior. It just happened that I took to spirituality at an early age by God's grace and it has proven to be worthwhile following for me.

• Like 4

in case of a possible misunderstanding:   householders and renunciates do not have the same dharma... a householder must deal with the world, while a renunciate may almost completely withdraw from it or in some cases teach or be involved in temple activities which are often or perhaps mainly supported by householders - such is a symbiotic relationship in which neither party can claim a superior position - although such corruption has taken place now and then.

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

Namaste Dao Bums, Very true Sir, the householder or the renunciate, neither of them can claim superiority over the other. It is because in some way or other renunciates depend on the world for their existence. Though their dependence is minimalistic, it plays a vital role for the continuation of their worldly existence. Yes, the Dharmas of the renunciate and the Dharmas of the householder differs as much as the needs of their life differ. Both follow their own Dharma only to achieve the same goal of perfection in life. There are stories and instances wherein the house holders have achieved self Realization or enlightenment with great ease than the renunciates even though renunciates consider enlightenment as their main/primary goal of life, which they seek through their difficult austerities.

Edited by Prasanna
  • Like 3

Sign in to follow this