galloway87

I Ching hexagram 15

Hi all,

I am just looking to get some general advice on a recent I Ching reading. I have recently started a new job working in a kitchen, but I only started here to get away from an old job which I hated. I have worked in the kitchen about 2 weeks now but I can tell it is just not me really...

I asked the I Ching 'how can I find a job that I truly enjoy?', and came up with hexagram 15. Can anyone with a little more experience with readings offer a bit of insight as to how this relates to my current situation?

Thanks in advance!

David

Hexagram 15 contains the trigrams of earth and mountain.

Trigrams are like elemental forces, and the elemental force of mountain is like a containment of something. It holds, and therefor has something to hold. The elemental force of earth is receptivity, emptiness, openness, acceptance.

With Mountain beneath Earth, it is somewhat like hiding a mountain beneath a plain. Beneath, there is a mountain, a strong force, but on the surface it is not seen. Above there is a vast expanse of flat nothing for as far as the eye can see. It is like having something but not being able to tell anyone about it. What one has is not obvious, and people will not treat you any differently for having it.

And thus the meaning of humility attributed to hexagram 15. When one is able to have, but not need to boast of it, and have even though people look at you and say you don't have, then one is able to be humble. In being humble, nothing can be taken away, for people cannot even see what you have. People may try to push you around, and you simply go along with it, for they cannot even see what is contained within you, and therefor cannot come to control that which supports you, and therefore cannot hurt you.

For your reading, it might indicate that you may find a job that you truly enjoy when you are able to be humble about your work. Perhaps it comes down to what you enjoy. If your terms for enjoyment are strict, it will be hard to find something to enjoy. If your conditions for enjoyment are low, then it will become easy to find enjoyment in anything.

This may not be quite what you wanted to hear from the yijing, but often the yijing reaches very deep and lets you know the very basic, most profound answers to your queries. In the end finding a job that is enjoyable depends more upon you and your ability to learn to enjoy things than upon what job it is.

• Like 1

rare indeed to find a job one truly enjoys, but the bills come regardless

Very true my friend! Maybe I just need more patience and see what comes my way.

• Like 1

Hexagram 15 contains the trigrams of earth and mountain.

Trigrams are like elemental forces, and the elemental force of mountain is like a containment of something. It holds, and therefor has something to hold. The elemental force of earth is receptivity, emptiness, openness, acceptance.

With Mountain beneath Earth, it is somewhat like hiding a mountain beneath a plain. Beneath, there is a mountain, a strong force, but on the surface it is not seen. Above there is a vast expanse of flat nothing for as far as the eye can see. It is like having something but not being able to tell anyone about it. What one has is not obvious, and people will not treat you any differently for having it.

And thus the meaning of humility attributed to hexagram 15. When one is able to have, but not need to boast of it, and have even though people look at you and say you don't have, then one is able to be humble. In being humble, nothing can be taken away, for people cannot even see what you have. People may try to push you around, and you simply go along with it, for they cannot even see what is contained within you, and therefor cannot come to control that which supports you, and therefore cannot hurt you.

For your reading, it might indicate that you may find a job that you truly enjoy when you are able to be humble about your work. Perhaps it comes down to what you enjoy. If your terms for enjoyment are strict, it will be hard to find something to enjoy. If your conditions for enjoyment are low, then it will become easy to find enjoyment in anything.

This may not be quite what you wanted to hear from the yijing, but often the yijing reaches very deep and lets you know the very basic, most profound answers to your queries. In the end finding a job that is enjoyable depends more upon you and your ability to learn to enjoy things than upon what job it is.

Thank you for such a detailed answer. 

I had a feeling something like this might be the case. Although I believe my terms of enjoyment not to be too strict, I believe the easiest way around the issue would be to learn to enjoy whatever I am doing at the time instead of constantly fighting the situation and worrying. Perhaps I should settle down for a little while and see how things unfold? Easier said than done though I'm sure  -_-