Sign in to follow this  
mindtooloud

Intent vs Visualization

Can someone explain to me the difference between intent and visualization, whenever I read about them somewhere I always thought they were the same thing until I read somewhere they were different.

-MTL

Intent is a determination to do something.

Visualization or visualizing is related to mental imagery.

• Like 1

Yeah, visualizations can happen spontaneously (without intent).

so every intent has visualization, but not every visualization has intent?

• Like 1

so every intent has visualization, but not every visualization has intent?

This question surprised me.  I wasn't expecting it.  Hadn't thought about it.

However, without discussing it to test my understanding I will say "Yes" to the question.

When we have intent we have to somehow visualize it.  And then, yes, we sometimes have visualizations that we had no intention of considering.  The thing just popped into our conscious brain.

The thing just popped into our conscious brain.

Just like the question i asked :P

this clears out what visualization is, but not intent, can i say (somehwat) intent has the purpose of getting something done where as visualization is for descriptive purposes? (kinda like what karthreeen said in her reply) 

• Like 1

Just like the question i asked :P

this clears out what visualization is, but not intent, can i say (somehwat) intent has the purpose of getting something done where as visualization is for descriptive purposes? (kinda like what karthreeen said in her reply) 

yes, exactly.

I would not agree, in my case, that every intention has a visualization, though some do ;)

Edited by Kar3n
  • Like 3

I would not agree, in my case, that every intention has a visualization, though some do ;)

Yeah, we need to add the concept of conceptualization.   

• Like 1

yes, exactly.

you're right i just realized we dont visualize our arms extending and grabbing a bottle when we intend to grab a bottle we just do it.

but on the other hand i think its different with energy(speaking from what i understand i dont think ive ever felt chi before), with chi, especially as a beginner we would visualize the energy moving and also put intent into it, but we couldnt do it purely with intent because its not a muscle(althought some would compare it to a muscle which bring me to my next point), but if we eventually master intending energy or chi around maybe moving chi would be just like moving a muscle, you just do it. i wouldnt know tho, y'all are the more experienced ones please enlighten me

Yeah, we need to add the concept of conceptualization.   

how is conceptualization related?

• Like 2

I agree in my experience with this too. 

As the topic has 'intentionally' moved to energy, I find an interesting comparison of these concepts in Qigong vs Light practices.

In the former, combining the two (intention & visualization) could create a stronger connection or effect.... the same way if you instead combined intent and a mantra or a sound.

But with Light practices, no visualization is really needed.   In fact, I found, less is best.  And what happened next was surprising... the visualization came 'back' at me.  Meaning, instead of me transmitting it, I was receiving it.  But I am certain that for this topic, visualization is meant as in transmission.

• Like 5

Q: What is your intention, young man?

A: My intention is to become the president of America. 

Q: Well, well... and where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

A: Sitting in the Oval office and smokin' cigar while browsing FB of course. Duh. 

Intention is kinda like having an idea of what we want, for example a cake, and visualisation is kinda like drooling just thinking of the absolute delight we'd get from a spoonful of luscious blueberry cheesecake in our mouth. 

WARNING: This post contains graphic images that may offend, and is intended for clarification only. 

Practice only under strict expert supervision. 

:D  :D  :D

• Like 7

I agree in my experience with this too. 

As the topic has 'intentionally' moved to energy, I find an interesting comparison of these concepts in Qigong vs Light practices.

In the former, combining the two (intention & visualization) could create a stronger connection or effect.... the same way if you instead combined intent and a mantra or a sound.

But with Light practices, no visualization is really needed.   In fact, I found, less is best.  And what happened next was surprising... the visualization came 'back' at me.  Meaning, instead of me transmitting it, I was receiving it.  But I am certain that for this topic, visualization is meant as in transmission.

Visualizations can be helpful for connections in light practices as well, but they can also become an attachment.

Often times transmission can come across as a visualization, even without the intent of the one transmitting. I tend to focus more on what I feel and know rather than what I see.

• Like 3

how is conceptualization related?

It's that area between intent and visualization.

Like when you conceptualize something but cannot visualize it yet, or might never be able to.

• Like 2

In my personal experience the difference between intent and visualization is quite distinct.

Intent is what you set your mind to during your meditation - this causes an energetic response based on your intent, which if performed correctly will cause the energy to manifest/rise/move within you. 

Visualization is using your mind to create a 'manifestation' that may or may not be accurate to what you are trying to do. Yes, you can visualize energy rising up your spine, and in fact manifest a feeling of this. But is it accurate? Is it a truthful energy? It's a sensation.

Proper intent (for example, focusing on your dan tian) which causes an energy to manifest that naturally ascends the spine (without your visualization - you're focused on the dan tian in this example) is a completely different type of energy work - that is a more accurate representation of what Qi Gong (loosely translated as development of energy in chinese) is rather than simply practising 'mindfulness' (visualization work) that can cause you to manifest sensations.

My old teacher you to say in his 'Chinglish' ... "think Qi, no real Qi... no think Qi.... maybe Qi come..."

• Like 8

What is my intention in making this post.  Is it coming from me (my ego?) or is it selfless a wish to contribute to others.  In this case I think it is a bit of both.  I am wanting to know more about this forum and its members (and to be accepted?)  I also want to be helpful to others coming here after me.

My visualisation is of others reading this - maybe answering and then of myself engaging in some dialogue with others here.  That is giving me a good sensation.  I can go to bed with a smile on my face.

• Like 4

I like your smile.

Sure, most things we do in life are with intent.  Hopefully some of them are not ego centered.

I'm sure you will be readily accepted by other, but not all, members here.  Some have specific concepts they are here to discuss and that is all they look at.  And then there are some who just don't want to look at certain concepts so they never read the threads.

But learning and sharing are both good.

Visualization is a conscious process of associative resonance which is created by intent. Intent is more meaningful when working conceptually. Visualization is best used to strengthen or convey an intent

Do you always visualize something before you intend to do it? Or would the intent come first? I feel like you can plan on doing something before visualizing, but once you visualize yourself doing it you are closer to the goal than Intending to do it it, you see it. But then you could argue that you visualize your accomplishment before intending to do it. Which comes first? Simultaneous? Are words like these simply meaningless?

Visualization is a conscious process of associative resonance which is created by intent. Intent is more meaningful when working conceptually. Visualization is best used to strengthen or convey an intent

Do you always visualize something before you intend to do it? Or would the intent come first? I feel like you can plan on doing something before visualizing, but once you visualize yourself doing it you are closer to the goal than Intending to do it it, you see it. But then you could argue that you visualize your accomplishment before intending to do it. Which comes first? Simultaneous? Are words like these simply meaningless?

This describes a local mind concept of visualization vs/with intent.    Why don't you just test all your questions.

I don't have any pattern down but I notice in my own field of work--

I think I use intent on a clear day...as in what I would like to accomplish. my career is about project completion-then payment.

so I have to execute things in sequence in order to finish project. now in my field of work I can do it without much thought...as in I do not have to interact with others...or report to a boss ...or go to meetings.....I don't have to focus my mind on any rigid statistics/numbers/facts.my work is a physical doing and very tactile.

but I notice intent I think first----because I feel best to accomplish a lot in a day.

so my intention is the paint the bathroom today---I do set a goal about what I think I can get accomplished in a day.

then for visualizing--

I might see quickly the first few steps I need to do to get the ball rolling....then it kind of unfolds..

this is not everyday-but when I am focused in especially on longer term projects.

so for me I think intent comes first-as far as my scope at work

I do enjoy reading other threads as well, but sometimes I am working at figuring out a few of my own obstacles.

I do find reading here very informative but at times overwhelming like too much information overload.

I am not so sure on the sharing part-if it is productive for me.

maybe I need to just read here.

Edited by sagebrush

sternum-rx350

wanting to draw comparison to this voice/page number/

I just can't believe that this was a concern from her---

my artistic needs

healing my body/purification

80/10/10 pipe dream

natures delicacy

two bees sleeping on coneflower/echinacea

sleeping bees-darling

writings from field mouse

the heart seeking love outside itself

blades of truth- most favorite recall but oh so harsh why not just stop there

ivans poem warbler-best in teahouse book

gitanjali

my artistic drive:

stop treating my business like a passion and make profit

donating more $

ayp plus after cleaning the stalls

how do I thank thee?

shut my trap

sound bite-

from now on I will call you england

Edited by sagebrush

it was about that there is a significant amount of knowledge here

and that it was not a possibility for it to be lacking.

now: please allow me to share

I am back to the technique of walking away, did so a few days ago on a work related situation. it was not done so without consideration and preparation so as to not leave the other party in a bind. very empowering and it frees up my own time to focus on my business and getting credentials in line.

yoga series starts Thursday more active asana which will be helpful

I needed to take sometime off and work toward optimizing my health and push through uncomfortable issues elsewhere.

not sure of sri chinmoy

in sync with the praying mantis on the Norfolk pine-

just a morning oddity

plus acceptance of pm yoga the evening before and clarity on seeing

not happy about many yoga things

but happy to have found something to aid

the dance of come here and go away is

similar to the chapter of the entity and the intention and the sword-

now an understanding

so a double edge sword and

Lakshmi can now but down her butter knife

swing on the vine