Sign in to follow this  
roger

thoughts about altering practices to suit oneself

I just want to know if anyone has any thoughts about changing or altering techniques.

I've learned some Qigong practices, but I've made some adjustments to them, because I find it not only easier, but that I enjoy it more and find that I'm BETTER at the technique with my adjustments.

But what if doing this detracts from the effectiveness of the technique??

Should I stick to the original teaching?

I'm very interested in hearing your opinions.

It depends a lot on where you learned the techniques in the first place and from whom.

If you learned them from a master that has worked with you for a while, I'd hesitate to make any changes.

Easier and "better" at the techniques can mean you have enhanced the technique but could also mean that you are depriving yourself of the benefit of working harder to master it. 

If you adopted the practices from books or video then all bets are off as they are already modified by virtue of trying to learn them second hand. 

Once one has mastered the basic principles through becoming skillful at multiple forms of qigong, then there is enough understanding to modify the techniques in accordance with the principles. If you've reached this point in your practice, you would not have to ask...

• Like 5

...could also mean that you are depriving yourself of the benefit of working harder to master it. 

Steve nailed what I was thinking ;)

Easier and more enjoyable do not always get you the intended result.

• Like 1

i asked my self the same question a while back, and i told my self as a beginner i would modify the techniques to my comfort, but as i progressed and became better at cultivating i would stick to the original techniques.

• Like 1

I have a blanket statement that I make to pretty much all of these, but it is really important so I'm going to make it here too.

If you want to do anything with Qi Gong of meditation, you need a teacher to guide you for at least three years.

The teacher must be qualified, must clearly be able to explain to you how the energy body works, and the differences between various aspects of the mind in relation to health and wellbeing.

If you want to just do some basic stretching and feel blood flow around your body, you don't need qi gong.

If you want to get the real benefit of the practice, you need to find someone who can help you learn it properly, otherwise you will just waste your time on doing empty exercises that have no deep benefit.

• Like 2

to add on that,

i'm taught qi gong, and i find our teacher endlessly corrects our movements/postures.

I'm naught but a beginner, but there seems to be always more to learn about the same posture, an endless refining 

and the practice that i found the hardest, is also the most beneficial to me

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this